Nonverbal Autistic man tased six times by cops

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 8:45 am

Video shows Georgia officers tasing nonverbal man with autism 6 times while responding to call

Quote:
Body camera footage released Tuesday shows Glynn County police tasing a man with autism who is nonverbal at least six times.

Police said officers were called around 8:30 Saturday night about a man walking in traffic. Callers said the man was carrying a weapon, screaming and hitting himself in the head near the Dollar General store on Stafford Avenue in Brunswick.

A spokesperson said the responding deputies didn’t know the man had autism when they arrived, but even after the man had dropped the metal object in his hand and people in the area shouted about his mental health condition, deputies continued to use force when he ignored calls to get on the ground.

Cherry was treated for his injuries at the hospital and released. He is not facing any criminal charges.

The officers involved were treated for minor injuries as a result of the altercation, according to the department.

“I commend the officers for using less-lethal force and their ability to read the terrain as the event unfolded, preventing loss of life or serious injury to anyone involved,” said Chief of Police Jacques Battiste.

This incident is currently under administrative review by the Glynn County Police Department.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 8:48 am

I believe it's the fault of the training the officers receive.

Obviously, there should be better training in dealing with nonverbal autistic people.

Poor guy.....it's traumatizing for even a "normal" person to be Tazed.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe it's the fault of the training the officers receive.

Obviously, there should be better training in dealing with nonverbal autistic people.

Poor guy.....it's traumatizing for even a "normal" person to be Tazed.

You are certainly correct, but I would add that on top of any issues with their job training, they are also manipulated by the same bs about bedlam that everyone gets through the news. Autistic shooters and all.

My previous post was a quick reference to a tazer alternative, Ketamine.

The short guy screwed it up. :mrgreen: