Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 8:47 am

Gizmodo Article 

Remember what the dormouse said.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:09 am

Keanu Reeves with a duck on his head? I'm all in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 11:13 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Here ya go!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:27 pm

Looking forward to this! Had heard the trailer had been released. The new John Wick movie is being filmed in Berlin at the moment. Thanks for posting :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

But..

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:31 pm

humpty dumpty means the shape I am.
Keanu - with a name like that, you could be any shape, almost.

edit: wtf?- they're still doing part 4s to teilogies from decades ago?? haven't they learned anything from Indiana Jones 4?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:05 pm

Chill out, dude!

This is The Matrix, not My Little Pony!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
Chill out, dude!

This is The Matrix, not My Little Pony!

Every reboot wishes it could be even half as successful as MLP's reboot.
You'd be hard pressed to find another reboot that's been as consistently praised for how well it was handled.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 1:03 pm

Thank you for this posting .....am hoping its a good movie .

where ever you go ,there you are

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:05 am

Jakki wrote:
Thank you for this posting .....am hoping its a good movie .

Me too. So far, only 33.3% of Matrix movies have been good so it's got some work to do. I notice David Mitchell is co-writing though which gives me hope, I like his novels a lot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:13 am

As long as Disney is not in charge of production, it should be a good movie.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:43 am

Fnord wrote:
As long as Disney is not in charge of production, it should be a good movie.

lolololzz someone is not a fan of Disney....lolz

Probably a subsidiary of Disney ....lol

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:56 am

Jakki wrote:
... someone is not a fan of Disney...
I live in Anaheim where, if your name is not "Disney", you have little or no status with the people at City Hall.  Besides, look at what happened to "Star Wars" and the Marvel franchise after Disney got hold of them.

:(

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm

There is a youtube channel that exists just to explain what's going on in the Matrix trilogy.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:44 pm

I still like the original Matrix, but I also think Freddie has some good points with this bad review he recently wrote of it:

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/i- ... -is-pretty

Quote:
There’s a new Matrix film coming, and people are excited. I get it; the original is beloved, and all our broken culture can produce is pastiche now, so we might as well play the hits. What I don’t get, and have wondered about for a long time, is why the original is beloved. To me, everything about it looks like an embarrassing relic, a mishmash of individual elements that have all aged poorly. And while I write this knowing that people will see it as an expression of contrarianism, I myself don’t feel like it’s provocative or trolling at all. In fact I can’t really understand why my position isn’t the default; it all feels so reasonable to me. Like, if The Matrix was a guy, he’d be the type of guy who calls The Boondock Saints his favorite movie, you know what I mean? The kind who’d smoke salvia he bought at gas stations. The kind to get catalogs for swords in the mail. A tryhard dork, in other words, someone self-consciously “edgy.” And yet people seem to love this guy!

From my vantage point, it seems the most conventional position is that the original Matrix film is a pop culture masterpiece, while the sequels were disappointing or awful. There’s another subset of fans that thinks Reloaded is actually very strong and unjustly derided due to its proximity to Revolutions, which is legitimately bad. And then of course there is the fringe that insists they’re all amazing. But it doesn’t seem like many people question the classic status of the first. It’s canon, part of the crazy-fertile 1999 movie boom. Its influence on visual effects, fight scene choreography, and how action is shot is legendary, and this influence spilled over into changing the basic visual architecture of video games. Most everybody I know loves it, and it really is the film that the Wachowski sisters hang their reputation on. (I know Speed Racer has its defenders, but I think you’ve gotta call this a disappointing filmography, 20 years later.) Certainly there have been few movies that more effectively defined a particular moment in culture, giving the audience something they didn’t know they were missing. I don’t begrudge The Matrix its status as a cultural touchstone.

But it’s just so… bad. Embarrassingly bad. Everything about it seems calculated to be maximally adolescent, which is fine if we’re talking about the latest sequel to The Kissing Booth but less attractive when we’re talking about an R-rated blockbuster that is just bursting with deep things it wants to say. Many people will concede that the series is all about style over substance, making it harder to swallow that no one wants to admit how f*cking dumb the style looks. The movie part of the movie is bad; the legendary aesthetics are even worse.
Look at these f*ckers:
If these three walked by me I’d point them to the nearest vampire rave, or perhaps try to buy some molly off of them. I know Hot Topic is a clichéd reference in this context but, honestly, where else would these people shop? I guess the Etsy stores that are frequented by anxious 47-year-old women who have recently rebranded as witches. Everything about the movie’s look seemed dated to me the very day I went to the theater. Doesn’t this look like some 11-year-old’s vision of what cool people look like? You’re indoors! Take your sunglasses off! Who walks around in all-black, all-leather everything? Can you imagine how they must smell on a warm day? I get that some people now call this all deliberately over-the-top, say that it’s poking fun at itself, insist that it’s supposed to look a little ridiculous. But I don’t think I got any sense that the visual style was supposed to be silly as a 17 year old, or in the half-dozen times I’ve seen it in the past 20 years, nor from watching it again recently. The way it’s shot and framed and presented all suggests that the movie and its makers think it all looks really, sincerely cool. Why did Morpheus steal the Joker’s suit?

I have to admit, I literally lol'd when he started roasting the movie's style and posted the picture, it is pretty cringe in retrospect.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I still like the original Matrix, but I also think Freddie has some good points with this bad review he recently wrote of it:

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/i- ... -is-pretty

Quote:
There’s a new Matrix film coming, and people are excited. I get it; the original is beloved, and all our broken culture can produce is pastiche now, so we might as well play the hits. What I don’t get, and have wondered about for a long time, is why the original is beloved. To me, everything about it looks like an embarrassing relic, a mishmash of individual elements that have all aged poorly. And while I write this knowing that people will see it as an expression of contrarianism, I myself don’t feel like it’s provocative or trolling at all. In fact I can’t really understand why my position isn’t the default; it all feels so reasonable to me. Like, if The Matrix was a guy, he’d be the type of guy who calls The Boondock Saints his favorite movie, you know what I mean? The kind who’d smoke salvia he bought at gas stations. The kind to get catalogs for swords in the mail. A tryhard dork, in other words, someone self-consciously “edgy.” And yet people seem to love this guy!

From my vantage point, it seems the most conventional position is that the original Matrix film is a pop culture masterpiece, while the sequels were disappointing or awful. There’s another subset of fans that thinks Reloaded is actually very strong and unjustly derided due to its proximity to Revolutions, which is legitimately bad. And then of course there is the fringe that insists they’re all amazing. But it doesn’t seem like many people question the classic status of the first. It’s canon, part of the crazy-fertile 1999 movie boom. Its influence on visual effects, fight scene choreography, and how action is shot is legendary, and this influence spilled over into changing the basic visual architecture of video games. Most everybody I know loves it, and it really is the film that the Wachowski sisters hang their reputation on. (I know Speed Racer has its defenders, but I think you’ve gotta call this a disappointing filmography, 20 years later.) Certainly there have been few movies that more effectively defined a particular moment in culture, giving the audience something they didn’t know they were missing. I don’t begrudge The Matrix its status as a cultural touchstone.

But it’s just so… bad. Embarrassingly bad. Everything about it seems calculated to be maximally adolescent, which is fine if we’re talking about the latest sequel to The Kissing Booth but less attractive when we’re talking about an R-rated blockbuster that is just bursting with deep things it wants to say. Many people will concede that the series is all about style over substance, making it harder to swallow that no one wants to admit how f*cking dumb the style looks. The movie part of the movie is bad; the legendary aesthetics are even worse.
Look at these f*ckers:
If these three walked by me I’d point them to the nearest vampire rave, or perhaps try to buy some molly off of them. I know Hot Topic is a clichéd reference in this context but, honestly, where else would these people shop? I guess the Etsy stores that are frequented by anxious 47-year-old women who have recently rebranded as witches. Everything about the movie’s look seemed dated to me the very day I went to the theater. Doesn’t this look like some 11-year-old’s vision of what cool people look like? You’re indoors! Take your sunglasses off! Who walks around in all-black, all-leather everything? Can you imagine how they must smell on a warm day? I get that some people now call this all deliberately over-the-top, say that it’s poking fun at itself, insist that it’s supposed to look a little ridiculous. But I don’t think I got any sense that the visual style was supposed to be silly as a 17 year old, or in the half-dozen times I’ve seen it in the past 20 years, nor from watching it again recently. The way it’s shot and framed and presented all suggests that the movie and its makers think it all looks really, sincerely cool. Why did Morpheus steal the Joker’s suit?

I have to admit, I literally lol'd when he started roasting the movie's style and posted the picture, it is pretty cringe in retrospect.

It was and still is a sci fi masterpiece.