Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 12:55 am

Dox47 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Being for the death penalty is not enough to make someone classifiable as "evil".

Andy Rooney said "I am against the death penalty, but there are some people I read about in the news that I could just kill". LIke him I lean toward being against the death penalty, but I cant say that l disown and lack all sympathy for folks who support it.

This is close to my position, I believe some people need killing, but I don't trust our justice system to pick which ones, let alone carry out the sentence correctly. Even if I think some criminals deserve to die, I've seen too many death row exonerations and too many botched executions to support the death penalty.

You watch executions? 8O
"Interesting". 8)

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 6:27 am

If Americans are so evil why are so many people risking their lives to get here?

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 6:55 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
If Americans are so evil why are so many people risking their lives to get here?

Why are there so many Americans hell bent on building a giant wall to keep these people from coming here?

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Why are there so many Americans hell bent on building a giant wall to keep these people from coming here?
Do you mean this one?

The one that is incomplete, with many gaps, and that is already falling down?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:12 am

Fnord wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Do you mean this one?

Yup! :wtg:

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:16 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Do you mean this one?
Yup!
It is Trump's Vanity Wall, which has mysteriously lost funding and public support, just like its namesake.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:24 am

Fnord wrote:
It is Trump's Vanity Wall, which has mysteriously lost funding and public support, just like its namesake.

Trump still gets plenty of funding although it may be less public than before.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:33 am

MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Perhaps ... but where is that money actually going?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

Fnord wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Perhaps ... but where is that money actually going?

AFAIK to fund his re-election and those of his followers, but sorry I don't have a detailed breakdown of revenue and disbursements. You'll have to reach out to his accountants.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Why do you lock your front door?
People are welcome to come here legally. There is a system in place to legally emigrate to the evil United States.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 8:56 am

Fnord wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Do you mean this one?

The one that is incomplete, with many gaps, and that is already falling down?[/quote
Make it a punishable crime to be in the US legally and enforce it then we won't need a wall.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:14 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Make it a punishable crime to be in the US illegally and enforce it then we won't need a wall.
Agreed.  We do not need walls, and we do not need more laws.  We need better enforcement of the laws we already have; and to Hell with the "stigma" of being called a criminal for being in this country illegally.  If a person breaks a law, that makes the person a criminal -- no two ways about it.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:22 am

I guess that I am evil then, as I support the death penalty for those that murder. My reason for doing so is tied with an experience that I had. As a young kid, I saw first hand the aftermath of a rampage killer who passed through my small Kansas town. He shot several unarmed people in a robbery/kidnapping and it ended with a shootout with police. In the process, he killed a LEO (who I knew) and paralyzed another. He was caught by the law and put to death for additional murders out of state, so we did not get to do it. Local people celebrated when he was finally put to death years later, due to all of the suffering he caused. Good riddance to his type of trash.

A very good friend of mine was a next door farm neighbor of the Clutter family back in 1959. Yes, that Clutter family that the book was written about. Her family could have been the target (they were very rich), except that there were too many farmhands around at any given time. The killers wanted an easy target. My friend lived thru the “In cold blood” story back then, as Nancy Clutter happened to be her babysitter. It still haunts her that she lived and her friend did not. She will not talk much about it other than she is glad the two killers got hanged.

If you ever face a real killer, you might find out why supporting the death penalty is not really as evil as others think it is.

Last edited by QuantumChemist on 10 Sep 2021, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:28 am

Tell that to people who have lost someone at the hands of some psychotic killer. I am against the death penalty, but admit that I might want to see the person who killed a loved one pay the ultimate price.

I'm human. That does not make me evil, just flawed and often ruled by emotion.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:34 am

I will support the Death Penalty only as long as pre-frontal lobotomies are considered more inhumane than death.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2021, 9:48 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58503973

Quote:
A poll from the Pew Research Center released in June suggested that 60% of US adults favoured the death penalty, though nearly 80% believed there was some risk that an innocent person could be put to death.

Logical deduction is as follows:

1. The majority favours DP.
2. The majority don't care about innocent being put to death, even though they know the risk.

No. 2 is evil because you are in favour of executing an innocent (it is is evil to punish an innocent). Therefore, the logical conclusion must be that the majority (no. 1) are evil.

I don't think number 2 is true. People are ignorant to the massive flaws in our criminal justice system. They won't wake up until they experience something first hand.