Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2021, 12:03 am

Have any other autistic women had issues with how much blood they loose during their period. During my first two days I have to wear ultra plus tampons (I don't like to wear pads because of the feeling of the blood on my skin). And the crazy thing is all my sisters don't have that issue they have light flows and unluckily I'm the one that has a lot heavier flow just like i'm the only one of my sisters and siblings (brothers included) that was diagnosed and has autism

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2021, 4:35 am

I used to use super (or was it super plus) tampons for my whole period from when I started to when I got my first mirena. Mom tried the little junior ones or regular ones for me when I started, but that just meant an overflowing mess until I got fed up & took some of hers. I never changed tampon strength during a period. I just didn't see the need, & no one I knew did that either. Interesting.

After the mirena, I've had very little bleeding. (I don't keep track because it's usually a day & once or twice a year.) I get heavier (& random) bleeding the closer it gets to being time to replace the mirena, but never the amount it used to be.

Regular hbc & nuvaring didn't make for lighter periods. And I disliked having to have a bleeding time because that was the norm & insurance wouldn't cover the extra needed to skip them. (Periods/withdrawal bleeding are NOT necessary. It was considered normal to have one, so they built in the off week. Bunch of bs.)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:04 am

Used to have, and often ended up anemic because of that. It got to the point that one of my doctors, who was tired of sending me to iron transfers, arranged me a meeting with a gynecologist to check if something was done and to do something about the too heavy bleeding even if there wasn't. The gynecologist didn't find anything wrong, so it's just naturally heavy bleeding. I'm on the pill now due to it, and haven't had periods at all in months.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 9:34 am

Before I went on the pill my periods were extremely painful but not heavy really. My female cousins had heavier periods but less pain.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2021, 5:57 pm

I use a menstrual cup and have often lost 6-9 cups in my heaviest days. This equates to about 90-135ml per period which is considered to be unsustainable blood loss and has resulted, in me, in ongoing anaemia and iron infusions.
Also, the less ferritin you have in your blood, the less able your blood is to clot, resulting in more blood loss during menstruation.

I went to see a gynaecologist and I discovered I have a polyp, but she said that it was unlikely to be contributing to heavy periods and extreme pain. She had no answers for me.

I have no interest in using western medicine and see an acupuncturist for period management and this is the only thing that has helped me. I think it helps because it reduces nervous system hyper stimulation and addresses anxiety, and other symptoms I believe I have due to C-PTSD and ASD (awaiting assessment at the moment).

Others that I know, that also have ASD have suffered from heavy periods too.

There may indeed be a correlation.

Last edited by chaosmos on 10 Sep 2021, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 6:05 pm

Yet another thing where I’m atypical even among others on the autism spectrum. The timing is highly irregular, but when I do get my periods, there is nothing out of the ordinary with them. I usually only have two or three days that are more than a trickle (although that seems to go on for quite some time). Some pain, but usually not excessive there, either. I get off really lucky in this department.

I wonder if maybe it has something to do with the fact that my autism presents itself in a much more “masculine” manner. Might be some sort of hormone thing involved.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:42 am

In my case...

Unknown.
All I do know it goes irregular from time to time. There would be few months of resembling consistency, then there would be months of irregularity.

I had periods for few weeks long and more than once a month, I also had a half a year without any.

Nonetheless, it seem that most periods, no matter how light or heavy, usually causes me to go anemic.
Because I might be one to begin with. Or at least very prone to it.

And I never took any hormonal meds.
Not even birth control pills. I never had those at all.

Even the symptoms are not very consistent. But overall I had a lot of headaches and less abdominal pain -- I rarely yet did had backaches and rarely had cramps.

And the inconsistency is not the periods alone. The whole hormonal cycle changes is.

And usually not in a good way. I'm also undiagnosed and untreated...
Had no idea what my blood work looked like nor know what's too little or too much.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 11 Sep 2021, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:49 am

I had very light, crampless periods until a few years ago, and now they're heavy and I have bad cramps. My mom and sister both had those issues though, and so did my maternal grandmother.

This month actually wasn't that bad, but it was weird because it started early and was super light.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 3:25 am

Idk seems my periods have gotten shorter, but with more cramping and things, but on the bright side it does not seem to last as long as it used to. I get like two days of more heavy bleeding with 4-5 days with a less and less of it, I still can get bad cramps with it but does not seem they last as long as they used to.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 10:33 pm

As a teenager and also in my 20s I used to get sore boobs and a headache right before my heavy period. It usually lasted about 7 days. Then one time I got it and it just went on and on. I went to the doctor on the 80th day and he was very concerned and gave me some tablets to stop my period. I also had my first Depo Provera injection. I've had that every 3 months since. It's been years since I've had a period and I like it.