I don’t think I’m on the spectrum, what do you guys think?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 11:30 pm

While only read the first part but not the rest (too long), I used to question myself all the time and doubt my own diagnoses. That was because I was falling for stereotypes and read too much toxic things written by autism supremists and also because even my own mother has fallen for aspie stereotypes and sees autism as something that is crippling and severe you will never live a normal life and be functional. Stereotypes also hurt people on the spectrum too and the autism supremacy (used to be real bad here but so glad that is looked frowned upon now and those people have moved to twitter or Facebook) and the stereotypes also affect parents too.

I still think my mom only took my aspie diagnoses because it was the only way she could get me through school and help me or otherwise she would not have taken it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:02 am

Muse933277 wrote:
Iv'e known more than 40+ people with autism in my lifetime and although not all people with autism are alike, many of them tend to have similar traits. So if any of this applies to you, then you might have high functioning autism.

1. People with aspergers/high functioning autism are stereotyped as being introverted and nerdy and there is some truth to this. Many people I know with autism do indeed tend to be nerdy and introverted by nature. We're usually not the type to like to go out and party or join a fraternity, etc... We tend to gravitate more towards computers, video games, or other similar activities that may be seen as "nerdy"

2. Many people with aspergers/high functioning autism don't have a lot of interest in sports, whether or not that's playing them or watching them. There are definitely exceptions (i'm one of them) but generally speaking, many people I know with higher functioning autism are not sporty people.

3. People with autism/aspergers typically have problems with making friends and finding someone to date but this also depends on your physical appearance and your gender as well. Autistic women tend to have it easier finding someone to date compared to men, and attractive people regardless of their gender, usually have it easier finding a partner. But typically, there is some difficulties with finding friends and romantic partners if you're on the spectrum and especially if you're a man who's average looking or below.

4. When did you get your drivers license? Many people with autism, even people with higher functioning autism, tend to get their drivers license later than 16. I knew many kids with high functioning autism during high school and almost none of them drove to school despite many of them being juniors and seniors. Most of them got their drivers license later than 16, some at 18, 19, 20, or even older. So if this applies to you, this is also a hidden sign you might be autistic.

5. This doesn't apply to every autistic person but many people with autism have difficulties with school or living independently, at least at first. People with autism can eventually live on their own with little to no support, but it might just take us longer than the average person because certain parts of our brain, especially the frontal lobe and executive function area are delayed compared to our neurotypical peers.

And these are the 5 traits that many autistic people tend to have.

Of these 5 traits only number 5 is really relevant to getting an autism diagnosis. The formal diagnosis might help you get assistance for independent living and/or educational assistance