Study links left- and right- wing authoritarian traits

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm

Pepe wrote:

I remember the dayz when "Tree Huggers" were gentle compassionate people who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far, ELF and ALF have been around a while, and the UNAbomber was all about environmentalism. In more recent years, the New Zealand mosque shooter described himself as an "eco-fascist", so I wouldn't call it a harmless ideology.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I remember the dayz when "Tree Huggers" were gentle compassionate people who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far, ELF and ALF have been around a while, and the UNAbomber was all about environmentalism. In more recent years, the New Zealand mosque shooter described himself as an "eco-fascist", so I wouldn't call it a harmless ideology.

Wasn't there also a far right mass murderer in America who went around bombing abortion clinics and lesbian bars too? I believe his name was Eric Rudolph.

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:23 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Wasn't there also a far right mass murderer in America who went around bombing abortion clinics and lesbian bars too? I believe his name was Eric Rudolph.

What's your point? There have been right wing murders (the Order killings in the 80s, the Unite the Right murder, etc), left wing killings (various 70s-80s groups, the congressional baseball team attack, they guy shot in Portland, etc), the eco terrorist murders I already mentioned, etc, no one has a monopoly on political violence, though Timmy McVeigh put the right out in front in numbers by sheer competence, except for the getting away with it part.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

What's your point? There have been right wing murders (the Order killings in the 80s, the Unite the Right murder, etc), left wing killings (various 70s-80s groups, the congressional baseball team attack, they guy shot in Portland, etc), the eco terrorist murders I already mentioned, etc, no one has a monopoly on political violence, though Timmy McVeigh put the right out in front in numbers by sheer competence, except for the getting away with it part.

There's no point, I just felt like bringing it up. :nerdy:

♤ The Military

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:57 pm

King0fSpades wrote:

Ahh, well a lot of people like to try and paint me as some sort of right wing extremist around here, which is funny because I'm actually further left than a lot of our "liberal" members, there's just a lot more left wing stuff to criticize on this board, which distorts where I actually sit on the political spectrum. My shooting sports experience gives me a lot of exposure to the actual right wing, which allows me to criticize left wing ideas of what the right actually is, if that makes sense to you. My experience is first hand, while most of the people here bitching about the right are going off of media reports that are often inaccurate, so people get this idea in their heads that I must be far right myself, which is not true at all, I'm just more familiar with how the right actually thinks and acts due to direct exposure.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I'm not sure eco-fascism or the UNAbomber are reflective of the left. I'm not sure they're reflective of much of the right, but even the original NSDAP had some sympathy for environmental and conservationist causes even if those weren't made priorities.

I don't think green is inherently left or right, I think it's more fairly considered another axis.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I hope you didn't think I meant *all* progressives were cutie "Tree Huggers".
And I was talking about 55 years ago in Australia.
Back then, we didn't have the depth of social problems that we have today in Oz.

I will repeat:
55 years ago, politically left-leaning individuals here in Australia, were overwhelmingly kind, compassionate, individuals who wouldn't have hurt a fly.
I can't say that nowadays. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 11:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I'm not sure eco-fascism or the UNAbomber are reflective of the left. I'm not sure they're reflective of much of the right, but even the original NSDAP had some sympathy for environmental and conservationist causes even if those weren't made priorities.

I don't think green is inherently left or right, I think it's more fairly considered another axis.

8O :lmao:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:00 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

There's countries where the Green Party is a left-leaning party, but that doesn't mean environmental causes are inherently left-wing or right-wing, now does it?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:02 am

Dox47 wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

Ahh, well a lot of people like to try and paint me as some sort of right wing extremist around here, which is funny because I'm actually further left than a lot of our "liberal" members, there's just a lot more left wing stuff to criticize on this board, which distorts where I actually sit on the political spectrum. My shooting sports experience gives me a lot of exposure to the actual right wing, which allows me to criticize left wing ideas of what the right actually is, if that makes sense to you. My experience is first hand, while most of the people here bitching about the right are going off of media reports that are often inaccurate, so people get this idea in their heads that I must be far right myself, which is not true at all, I'm just more familiar with how the right actually thinks and acts due to direct exposure.

This is a big problem in these here parts, pardner.
Anything/k right of left-wing politics is viewed as right-wing, by quite a few people here.
It seems to be a case of total capitulation or you are not "one of us". 8O

I will *never* be a progressive, but I am a centre-right *Independent*, not that many on the left will believe that, despite the evidence.
Go figure. :?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:07 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

There's countries where the Green Party is a left-leaning party, but that doesn't mean environmental causes are inherently left-wing or right-wing, now does it?

Here in Australia, the greens are called "Watermelons".
Green on the outside and red/pink in the middle. :mrgreen:

I think people have to factor in that different countries have different politics, to some degree.
For example, Amerians think Australian conservatives are the same and American ones.
Ain't the case. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:17 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Here in Australia, the greens are called "Watermelons".
Green on the outside and red/pink in the middle. :mrgreen:

I think people have to factor in that different countries have different politics, to some degree.
For example, Amerians think Australian conservatives are the same and American ones.
Ain't the case. 8)

Even more so than terms like liberal and conservative, green seems to be really detached from the compass. It's rare for a Green Party to adopt explicitly right-wing politics, but they seem to have economic views that range from neo-liberal but with green priorities all the way to social democrats with green priorities.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:17 am

The Greens party in Australia are concerned about our carbon footprint, global warming. conservation and sustainability. These issues are of importance to most Australians (including conservatives)
https://theconversation.com/new-polling ... ten-148726

But our federal conservative government have shown no interest in leadership on issues relating to the environment (or COVID for that matter).

The Greens have a role in keeping our federal government in check on these issues.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 2:44 am