Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 10:09 am

Pepe wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
People supporting authoritarianism have common psychological traits, no matter what they put on their banners.

Horseshoe theory. 8)

Quote:
In political science and popular discourse, the horseshoe theory asserts that the far-left and the far-right, rather than being at opposite and opposing ends of a linear political continuum, closely resemble one another, analogous to the way that the opposite ends of a horseshoe are close together. Wikipedia

That.... that's a bloody brilliant metaphor.

I'm a brilliant metaphor, too.
A stinky skunk. 8)

There are times where a circle, rather than a horse-shoe, seem more appropriate, when the extremes of each seems to have the same aim as the other, only using different methods\"logic" to achieve it...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 12:38 pm

This isn't that surprising. Tankies are just red fashies.

That said, not everyone who has extreme views has authoritarian views.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 11:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
This isn't that surprising. Tankies are just red fashies.

That said, not everyone who has extreme views has authoritarian views.

Not surprising, certainly, but interesting that prior to this study only one side was studied with regards to this area of political views...

And I'd agree that having extreme views (on either side) doesn't necessarily indicate authoritarian views - Although, in many cases, it certainly appears suggestive of them.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

I agree that authoritarianism can be either right or left but I don't agree with the descriptions given of the followers of these two versions of it. Just personal observations.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

Those who are following the totalitarian dictates of today's DNC and its figurehead Joe is a good example of the followers of the left wing flavor of authoritarianism. Its kind of an infantilized, wanting to be taken care of mentality.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 8:58 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Those who are following the totalitarian dictates of today's DNC and its figurehead Joe is a good example of the followers of the left wing flavor of authoritarianism.
No, it's not. You probably have never seen left-wing authoritarianism in power.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 9:56 am

magz wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Those who are following the totalitarian dictates of today's DNC and its figurehead Joe is a good example of the followers of the left wing flavor of authoritarianism.
No, it's not. You probably have never seen left-wing authoritarianism in power.

Those who like the left wing authoritarianism are not exactly the rugged, get things done types. The Left is about taking care of every aspect of peoples lives whether its wanted or not.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Those who like the left wing authoritarianism are not exactly the rugged, get things done types. The Left is about taking care of every aspect of peoples lives whether its wanted or not.

Let's get back to the article in the OP:
Quote:
Right-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively back the established hierarchy, while left-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively oppose it. They are almost like mirror images of one another that both share a common psychological core, the researchers conclude.
"Controlling every aspect of life" is not in the definition but likely a trait of any authoritarianism (e.g. religious movements gaining political power and imposing their rules on whole populations are not exactly left-wing but they can be extremely controlling).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:04 am

Radicals on both the "left" and the "right" tend to be made of the same cloth when it comes to "authoritarianism."

I don't trust Nazi-types. And I don't trust hard-line Communists, either.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Radicals on both the "left" and the "right" tend to be made of the same cloth when it comes to "authoritarianism."

It's not jst the extremes of the spectrum who have the potential to be authoritarian, although that would be where they would be expected to congregate - The condition of "Authoritarianism" is not linked to any position on the political spectrum, and could, theoretically, exist in a person with centrist views.

As the study noted:
Quote:
While an individual reporting that they had performed an act of violence was rare, nearly a third of respondents agreed with the statement that they wouldn't mind if a politician that diametrically opposed their own political views was assassinated. "The higher a respondent ranked on the scale for either left-wing or right-wing authoritarianism, the more likely they were to agree with this statement," Costello says.

So, it seems the one of the best metrics for this outlook would be to consider they type of person who would wish for a person holding different political views to their own to be killed, and I doubt it is only people from the extreme ends who would have wished (or still wish) someone would kill Mr. Obama or Mr. Trump...

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 11:12 am

Brictoria wrote:
So, it seems the one of the best metrics for this outlook would be to consider they type of person who would wish for a person holding different political views to their own to be killed, and I doubt it is only people from the extreme ends who would have wished (or still wish) someone would kill Mr. Obama or Mr. Trump...

In my book, these people have extreme views.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Me neither, and I believe in The Horseshoe Theory. There are always extremists on both sides who hurt those caught in the middle.

♤ The Military

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 1:04 pm

Yep....anybody who wants anybody dead is an "extremist."

Trump has done some things which makes me rather irritated with him----but to want him dead: ridiculous!

And the people want Obama dead: even more ridiculous!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't trust hard-line Communists, either.

Are you planning a holiday to North Korea or the PRC?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:28 pm

I wouldn’t mind going to China, actually.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn’t mind going to China, actually.

There aren't many hardline communists left in the world except hiding out in the wilds of Siberia off the grid or in Beijing/Hanoi/Pyongyang