Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 4:04 am

Brictoria wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
You are correct, but I don't think that's the purpose behind this thread

Please, don't attempt to read minds. It's unhealthy.

And, in this case, the "mind reading" was incorrect...

Have you come across the theory of "confession through projection"?

No.
"Please explain."

Regards,
Pauline Pepe. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 4:26 am

magz wrote:
"Making the link"?

While there was no research into "left-wing authoritarianism", there was nothing to suggest definitive traits behind it (or even that is existed). With research having occurred, it (as this article has done) helps highlights the links (common factors) between left-wing and right-wing authoritarianism.

Before this study, a common belief was that being right-wing implied a potential authoritarianistic outlook - that authoritarianism followed "right-wing beliefs". This study, though, looked into the other "side" ("left-wing") of authoritarianism, and through linking left-wing and right-wing authoritarianism traits helps shows that an authoritarianistic outlook is not limited to a particular side of politics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 4:44 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

well...is the signal to noise ratio slightly more amplified now?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:14 am

Off Topic
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

No.
"Please explain."

Regards,

One of the better explanations I've come across:
Quote:
Can anybody give me a good psychological reason why people will 'flip' things in an argument? As in turn things around, blame you for what they're actually doing. This is very blatant and very consistent.

It’s called confession through projection. I find Carl Jung’s framing to have the most traction for understanding this. He framed us as “triune” beings.

The Self is the full, genuine and true you. Almost nobody operates at this level.

The Ego is “the dream of us”. It is who we think we are, or wish to be. But this leaves a LOT of dark stuff in us that doesn’t fit into the dream. We toss this in the dungeon of our “Dark Shadow”, where it mulls and schemes its revenge and grows stronger; perhaps coalescing with other dark things living there.

The Shadow is the trash-can of our soul. Nothing put there ever really goes away, and starts to stink if not emptied regularly. One of the tricks to try to deal with the stink that is us, is to blame the psychological fart on someone else! It is rewarding in the short-term because one convinces themselves that what stinks in the room, is someone else!

Source: https://www.quora.com/Can-anybody-give-me-a-good-psychological-reason-why-people-will-flip-things-in-an-argument-As-in-turn-things-around-blame-you-for-what-theyre-actually-doing-This-is-very-blatant-and-very-consistent

It aligns with psychological projection, where the person doing this is "confessing" how they feel\would act in that same\similar circumstances through projecting this attitude\behaviour\action onto another.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Sep 2021, 5:28 am

Quote:
Right-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively back the established hierarchy, while left-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively oppose it.
"Left wing authoritarianism" is, by the definition they use, unstable. Once getting to power and establishing an authoritarian government, the definition automatically flips them to "right wing".

Surprisingly, it makes sense. Think of Russia.

"Left" and "right" are only labels dependent on the power balance at a given moment.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:30 am

Brictoria wrote:
Off Topic
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

No.
"Please explain."

Regards,

Quote:
Can anybody give me a good psychological reason why people will 'flip' things in an argument? As in turn things around, blame you for what they're actually doing. This is very blatant and very consistent.

It’s called confession through projection. I find Carl Jung’s framing to have the most traction for understanding this. He framed us as “triune” beings.

The Self is the full, genuine and true you. Almost nobody operates at this level.

The Ego is “the dream of us”. It is who we think we are, or wish to be. But this leaves a LOT of dark stuff in us that doesn’t fit into the dream. We toss this in the dungeon of our “Dark Shadow”, where it mulls and schemes its revenge and grows stronger; perhaps coalescing with other dark things living there.

The Shadow is the trash-can of our soul. Nothing put there ever really goes away, and starts to stink if not emptied regularly. One of the tricks to try to deal with the stink that is us, is to blame the psychological fart on someone else! It is rewarding in the short-term because one convinces themselves that what stinks in the room, is someone else!

Source: https://www.quora.com/Can-anybody-give-me-a-good-psychological-reason-why-people-will-flip-things-in-an-argument-As-in-turn-things-around-blame-you-for-what-theyre-actually-doing-This-is-very-blatant-and-very-consistent

It aligns with psychological projection, where the person doing this is "confessing" how they feel\would act in that same\similar circumstances through projecting this attitude\behaviour\action onto another.

You mean *unconscious* confession through projection, don't you?

Yeah, Freud had a similar model with:
Ego, superego and the ID.
And the triune theory of evolution fits in with that also. 8)

Humans can be, and very often are viciously dangerous beasts.
You can thank the evolutionary process for that. 8O

Thankfully, Sheldons and shunks have transcended most of the irrational emotionality. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Sep 2021, 5:33 am

Off Topic

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:35 am

magz wrote:
Quote:
Right-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively back the established hierarchy, while left-wing authoritarians tend to aggressively oppose it.
"Left wing authoritarianism" is, by the definition they use, unstable. Once getting to power and establishing an authoritarian government, the definition automatically flips them to "right wing".

Yes, the "authoritarianism" is the fixed point - whether the political ideology it is linked with in the individual is in power or not wouldn't affect that underlying feature, and so "attacking" or "defending" the government would depend on what government was in power at the time. I would guess the "back" or "oppose" the governemnt portion could be related to when the research was being compiled, prior to the paper being written, and so relates to the situation at that time.

I also found this portion enlightening:
Quote:
While an individual reporting that they had performed an act of violence was rare, nearly a third of respondents agreed with the statement that they wouldn't mind if a politician that diametrically opposed their own political views was assassinated. "The higher a respondent ranked on the scale for either left-wing or right-wing authoritarianism, the more likely they were to agree with this statement," Costello says.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:35 am

magz wrote:
Off Topic

This might help:

8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Sep 2021, 5:42 am

Brictoria wrote:
I also found this portion enlightening:
Quote:
While an individual reporting that they had performed an act of violence was rare, nearly a third of respondents agreed with the statement that they wouldn't mind if a politician that diametrically opposed their own political views was assassinated. "The higher a respondent ranked on the scale for either left-wing or right-wing authoritarianism, the more likely they were to agree with this statement," Costello says.

It think that's one of defining traits of authoritarianism, in any flavor.
Moderates tend to have more tolerance ("tolerance" defined as letting be things despite opposing them).

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 5:50 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Off Topic
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

No.
"Please explain."

Regards,

Quote:

You mean *unconscious* confession through projection, don't you?

Yeah, Freud had a similar model with:
Ego, superego and the ID.
And the triune theory of evolution fits in with that also. 8)

Humans can be, and very often are viciously dangerous beasts.
You can thank the evolutionary process for that. 8O

Thankfully, Sheldons and shunks have transcended most of the irrational emotionality. 8)

Yes, I'd guess that in most (if not all) instances it would be an unconscious act, as a form of "self defence" for the Ego...

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 6:02 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
People supporting authoritarianism have common psychological traits, no matter what they put on their banners.

Horseshoe theory. 8)

Quote:
In political science and popular discourse, the horseshoe theory asserts that the far-left and the far-right, rather than being at opposite and opposing ends of a linear political continuum, closely resemble one another, analogous to the way that the opposite ends of a horseshoe are close together. Wikipedia

That.... that's a bloody brilliant metaphor.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Sep 2021, 6:20 am

magz wrote:
Quote:

"Left" and "right" are only labels dependent on the power balance at a given moment.

Thinking of it a little more, that would explain why "like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children" - and not just French revolution, Bolshevik and Chinese did the same.
When bloodily agressive opposition to the established hierarchy starts to establish its own hierarchy (which is, to some extent, unavoidable in running a country), they meet a deadly paradox - and Great Purges start.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 7:44 am

Comparing the dangers of the far right and far left is like comparing living through a volcano or earthquake, they are both equally dangerous. But then the original questions posed has still not be answered.....why is this surprising?

Let's actually look at the real world where we live. Last time I checked nobody on this forum lives in communist China, north Korea or Cuba.

Most of the forum users live in the United States, So in the US which one is more dangerous? the far right or left

answer?
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... es-in-2020

But wait? isn't this confusing, the "wisest" of all on WP claim there's no difference,

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 8:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Comparing the dangers of the far right and far left is like comparing living through a volcano or earthquake, they are both equally dangerous. But then the original questions posed has still not be answered.....why is this surprising?

Let's actually look at the real world where we live. Last time I checked nobody on this forum lives in communist China, north Korea or Cuba.

Most of the forum users live in the United States, So in the US which one is more dangerous? the far right or left

answer?
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... es-in-2020

But wait? isn't this confusing, the "wisest" of all on WP claim there's no difference,

Thank you captain distracto for your irregularly scheduled whataboutism...

The discussion was about the similarites\shared traits between left-wing authoritarians and "right wing" authoritarians, not some subjective whataboutism related to perceived "danger" from the "left" or "right" as a whole...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 9:16 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
People supporting authoritarianism have common psychological traits, no matter what they put on their banners.

Horseshoe theory. 8)

Quote:
In political science and popular discourse, the horseshoe theory asserts that the far-left and the far-right, rather than being at opposite and opposing ends of a linear political continuum, closely resemble one another, analogous to the way that the opposite ends of a horseshoe are close together. Wikipedia

That.... that's a bloody brilliant metaphor.

I'm a brilliant metaphor, too.
A stinky skunk. 8)