Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 10:05 am

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
As far as nasty fluids go check out piranha solution. 98% sulphuric mixed with 30% hydrogen peroxide. Great for eating up organic matter! Terrifying stuff you can make at home!! !

I'm aware of it.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:08 am

Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
As far as nasty fluids go check out piranha solution. 98% sulphuric mixed with 30% hydrogen peroxide. Great for eating up organic matter! Terrifying stuff you can make at home!! !

I use that occasionally in lab for cleaning glassware. Between it and aqua Regia, those acids help get the glass to sparkle when used right with a strong base bath soak.

You likely cannot make full strength piranha at home without being licensed as a chemist to a chemical supplier for very good reasons. Large bottles of concentrated sulfuric acid is not commercially sold to just anyone (you need a license herein the US) and you would have to know where to get 30+% hydrogen peroxide (special laws apply again). Those little brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in a store are not concentrated enough to make it in full form. One can buy household cleaners that contain sulphuric acid, but again those are also diluted down in strength. The restriction laws are in place to keep those particular chemicals out of the wrong hands.

Those little brown bottles are 3 percent solutions and intended only as an antiseptic.

I have known people who have used them for home experiments (thinking that the solution was the 30% versions). Needless to say they failed to get what they were after.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2021, 3:36 am

QuantumChemist wrote:

I use that occasionally in lab for cleaning glassware. Between it and aqua Regia, those acids help get the glass to sparkle when used right with a strong base bath soak.

You likely cannot make full strength piranha at home without being licensed as a chemist to a chemical supplier for very good reasons. Large bottles of concentrated sulfuric acid is not commercially sold to just anyone (you need a license herein the US) and you would have to know where to get 30+% hydrogen peroxide (special laws apply again). Those little brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in a store are not concentrated enough to make it in full form. One can buy household cleaners that contain sulphuric acid, but again those are also diluted down in strength. The restriction laws are in place to keep those particular chemicals out of the wrong hands.

Yes it can be difficult to obtain these things but they can be obtained if you know where to look or can clean up what is available.
Not recommended though! Home distillation of sulphuric acid is very dangerous. With proper care it can be done safely. I can actually get 50% peroxide OTC where I live.

And yes...great for getting tarry gunk off glassware.