Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:49 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Wait, what now - fake programmers wrote device drivers? :scratch:

As said - I'm looking for something addressing in some light-hearted way the contributions made by women to add as a balance to the "when men were men" part, not a replacement for it.
I assumed that there was a limit on the character count.

As for the word "Real" in "Real Programmers", look
 Here 

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:12 pm

There was a TV show called "All in the Family." There was a comical bigot by the name of Archie Bunker.

The Archie Bunker character sang a song that spoke of "when girls were girls and men were men."

Archie Bunker singing it seemed to me to be making fun of that ethos. He was a man "behind the times" even in 1971.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:14 am

Fnord wrote:
I am sorry, Sharon.  In spite of my best efforts at inclusion in the workplace, women and minorities are still being marginalized and discriminated against through micro-aggressive acts, most of which may go unreported out of fear of reprisal and escalation.

Thank you. that (acknowledgement) means a lot to me.

Cornflake wrote:
Too long, and I was looking for something addressing in some light-hearted way the contributions made by women as a balance to the "when men were men" part.

Perhaps people on the board itself could come up with something contemporary. Otherwise "when women were women and punched cards into submission..." (just b/c it rhymes, yeah, that's the ticket :twisted: ).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was a TV show called "All in the Family." There was a comical bigot by the name of Archie Bunker.

The Archie Bunker character sang a song that spoke of "when girls were girls and men were men."

Archie Bunker singing it seemed to me to be making fun of that ethos. He was a man "behind the times" even in 1971.

It did.
It was "ironic". 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:20 am

SharonB wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I am sorry, Sharon.  In spite of my best efforts at inclusion in the workplace, women and minorities are still being marginalized and discriminated against through micro-aggressive acts, most of which may go unreported out of fear of reprisal and escalation.

Thank you. that (acknowledgement) means a lot to me.

Cornflake wrote:
Too long, and I was looking for something addressing in some light-hearted way the contributions made by women as a balance to the "when men were men" part.

Perhaps people on the board itself could come up with something contemporary. Otherwise "when women were women and punched cards into submission..." (just b/c it rhymes, yeah, that's the ticket :twisted: ).

In the beginning, back when programmers had vision, women were women and punched cards into submission. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 9:25 am

Off Topic
A limerick for Ada Lovelace (1815-1852), first female computer programmer:

Her pseudocode's first of its kind
For numbers computers can find
She knew there was more
Than numbers to store
There's much that went on in her mind

Link to History Today article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 10:05 am

Katherine Johnson

Quote:
Creola Katherine Johnson (née Coleman; August 26, 1918 – February 24, 2020) was an American mathematician whose calculations of orbital mechanics as a NASA employee were critical to the success of the first and subsequent U.S. crewed spaceflights.During her 33-year career at NASA and its predecessor, she earned a reputation for mastering complex manual calculations and helped pioneer the use of computers to perform the tasks. The space agency noted her "historical role as one of the first African-American women to work as a NASA scientist".

Johnson's work included calculating trajectories, launch windows, and emergency return paths for Project Mercury spaceflights, including those for astronauts Alan Shepard, the first American in space, and John Glenn, the first American in orbit, and rendezvous paths for the Apollo Lunar Module and command module on flights to the Moon. Her calculations were also essential to the beginning of the Space Shuttle program, and she worked on plans for a mission to Mars.

In 2015, President Barack Obama awarded Johnson the Presidential Medal of Freedom. In 2016, she was presented with the Silver Snoopy Award by NASA astronaut Leland D. Melvin and a NASA Group Achievement Award. She was portrayed by Taraji P. Henson as a lead character in the 2016 film Hidden Figures. In 2019, Johnson was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal by the United States Congress. In 2021, she was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Sep 2021, 10:18 am

SharonB wrote:
Otherwise "when women were women and punched cards into submission..." (just b/c it rhymes, yeah, that's the ticket :twisted: ).
Thanks - I like the rhyming too.

We have a winner! :cheers:
The forum description has been updated.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 1:09 pm

Sigh. Please don't anyone take the following comments very seriously!

Gee. When they refer to a time "when men were men" aren't they implying we us guys are no longer really men? And it doesn't say anything about women having changed. Maybe it's us guys who should be offended?

Or...

Don't they say us Aspies tend to interpret things literally and sometimes have trouble because of that? Over the decades I've learned that sometimes those durn NTs use phrases that don't seem to make sense (at least not to me). But once I've figured out what the phrase means to them then I just translate it when I hear it. Isn't the correct substitution for "when men were men" something along the lines of "back when life was more difficult"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 1:27 pm

Double Retired wrote:
... When they refer to a time "when men were men" aren't they implying we us guys are no longer really men? And it doesn't say anything about women having changed. Maybe it's us guys who should be offended? ...
I will decide for myself whether or not I "should" be offended, thank you very much!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 1:28 pm

It's probably good that the phrase was changed.....but I feel like the intent was to be ironic.

In another descriptor, in the Health, etc. section, people are told, facetiously, to "give me 50 [pushups]." It's obvious that this should not be taken literally. Drill sergeants were being made fun of there.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 1:54 pm

When I see when men were men I always expect and sheep were scared to be the other half.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
... When they refer to a time "when men were men" aren't they implying we us guys are no longer really men? And it doesn't say anything about women having changed. Maybe it's us guys who should be offended? ...
I will decide for myself whether or not I "should" be offended, thank you very much!
8O Steady on old bean - his whole post is a question, not an instruction. :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

:roll: Ok...if you want wok...here is a wok version:

"If you long for the past glory of the ancient geeks... the true geeks of old, who could write their own device drivers, then this forum is for you."

Sumpin like that?

Thats "geeks". Not "Greeks". Get it?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:34 pm

Double Retired wrote:

Gee. When they refer to a time "when men were men" aren't they implying we us guys are no longer really men? And it doesn't say anything about women having changed. Maybe it's us guys who should be offended?

Well said.
It was a humorous, lighthearted putdown of the politically correct woke culture of today, imo.

The problem was, the comment implicitly/explicitly excluded women. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:40 pm

Double Retired wrote:

?

Exactly!

Its not enough that ...I can still drive a manual shift car!

I dont even know what a "device driver" IS! Much less am I able to "write" one! :(