Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:48 am

13+ years and I don't think I ever read that forum description; seems like a bit of a first world problem if no one really notices it and you have to squint a bit to find it offensive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 2:36 am

To be sure, I never paid any attention to those little descriptors for the different forums. So I guess I just never felt like I could not participate on that part of the site due to that little blurp. Like idk I figure most people do not know how to code their own s**t or whatever...so I would not have taken that to serious. I mean specifically it would be tech nerds male or female that code all their own stuff...outside of tech nerds I figure most people just want a computer that is easy to use and user friendly regardless of their sex.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 2:54 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I don't know what a misgynmy is.

All I know is these days I am under continual attack from society for being a man.

Quote:
misogyny n
Hatred of, contempt for, or prejudice against women.

So because I hate being attacked for being a man, I hate women?

I don't get what the thread is on about? It is to attack me because I am a man?

The "Computers, Math, Science and Technology" description that the OP is talking about:
Quote:
Are you passionate about science, math, or computers? [b]Do you pine for the days when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?[/b] If so, this is the forum for you! Talk about FreeBSD, Linux, Macintosh OS X, OS/2 Warp, and that operating system from Redmond.

Please stop derailing every thread talking about misogyny or women being in STEM fields with your own personal gripes about being a man, it's off topic and distasteful.

This is the first time I have read that.
And, yes, it needs to change. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 2:59 am

SharonB wrote:
Assuming MountainGoat is genuinely curious or there is a misunderstanding, I will clarify.

MountainGoat, the Forum description currently has "when men were men..." which subconsciously invites "men" to the forum and not others, plus as you point out, depending on interpretation, it either makes fun of or encourages a gender norm for "manly" men, which can be hurtful to some men also.

Yes, in our society today, it's hard to be who we are: regardless of gender identity. to grossly generalize, when a person is "supposed" to be a certain way, that's a problem. When one group is addressed and others (subconsciously) excluded, that's a problem. People are all ways which goes well beyond gender roles.

You (inadvertently) raise a good point that to say Man or Woman is exclusive of folks who identify as neither. My husband's native culture recognized five genders. I wonder that they addressed groups simply as "People", rather than "Ladies and Gentlemen" and the sort. We could learn a thing or two from our ancestors sometimes.

I use: "Ladies, gentlemen and gender diverse."
I am now preparing to be mauled. :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:05 am

Pepe wrote:
SharonB wrote:
Assuming MountainGoat is genuinely curious or there is a misunderstanding, I will clarify.

MountainGoat, the Forum description currently has "when men were men..." which subconsciously invites "men" to the forum and not others, plus as you point out, depending on interpretation, it either makes fun of or encourages a gender norm for "manly" men, which can be hurtful to some men also.

Yes, in our society today, it's hard to be who we are: regardless of gender identity. to grossly generalize, when a person is "supposed" to be a certain way, that's a problem. When one group is addressed and others (subconsciously) excluded, that's a problem. People are all ways which goes well beyond gender roles.

You (inadvertently) raise a good point that to say Man or Woman is exclusive of folks who identify as neither. My husband's native culture recognized five genders. I wonder that they addressed groups simply as "People", rather than "Ladies and Gentlemen" and the sort. We could learn a thing or two from our ancestors sometimes.

what is wrong with that?

I'd probably just say, 'all humans present' and then say the rest...can't go wrong with all humans I guess. That is until we got robots in the populace, but I am not so far ahead I have thought of the appropriate thing to say in that case.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:06 am

Double Retired wrote:
I retired from IT. I had many female co-workers. And I think I had more female office-mates than males.

However, perhaps fewer of the gals stayed hands-on in IT. Many of them went into management. I probably had more years working for female supervisors then for male supervisors. One gal was my supervisor in three companies--consecutively. (Corporate mergers and acquisitions were involved.)

Back in my Jurassic period, men dominated sports reporting.
These days, it is the women.
This is not a problem for me, but what the hell do women find interesting in football/rugby? :scratch:

For the record, I am a *True* autistic and have less than no interest in sports.
I find it annoying and would rather have something to my liking instead of that period of time "wasted". 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:12 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
SharonB wrote:

what is wrong with that?

I'd probably just say, 'all humans present' and then say the rest...can't go wrong with all humans I guess. That is until we got robots in the populace, but I am not so far ahead I have thought of the appropriate thing to say in that case.

That is the point.
I sincerely don't know anymore. 8O

In my day, we didn't have weaponised political correctness, and we were allowed to make a joke without flinching at possible repercussions.
This modern-day woke culture is a pain in the arse for older blokes like me.
People should consider the intent, but too many people, these days, hunt for virtue-signalling opportunities.
Part of the reason I am a recalcitrant grumpy old man skunk. :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:13 am

Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
I retired from IT. I had many female co-workers. And I think I had more female office-mates than males.

However, perhaps fewer of the gals stayed hands-on in IT. Many of them went into management. I probably had more years working for female supervisors then for male supervisors. One gal was my supervisor in three companies--consecutively. (Corporate mergers and acquisitions were involved.)

This is not a problem for me, but what the hell do women find interesting in football/rugby? :scratch:

For the record, I am a *True* autistic and have less than no interest in sports.
I find it annoying and would rather have something to my liking instead of that period of time "wasted". 8)

Well sports are boring, unless its blood bowl but of course that is not real sports just table top, still fun though.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:20 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Well sports are boring, unless its blood bowl but of course that is not real sports just table top, still fun though.

I like playing first-person shooter games, but they are games.
Some take it to a professional level and literally make millions.
It has become a "sport", particularly in Asian countries.
I might be interested in that, but so far, haven't found the motivation to look.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 4:07 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I like playing first-person shooter games, but they are games.
Some take it to a professional level and literally make millions.
It has become a "sport", particularly in Asian countries.
I might be interested in that, but so far, haven't found the motivation to look.

I cannot stick to a game long enough to get that competitive in it, Idk I play league of legends but anymore I am more interested in one of their side games, Team Fight Tactics, sorta like an online chess but also very much not like that. But as for the regular league of legends I do ranked sometimes just to see where I'd stand, but I don't play it that seriously. Just a thing to waste time sometimes. I think me and my boyfriends plan of finishing up some of our war hammer squads so we can play Warhammer games with other people is probably a better thing to focus on than stupid League of Legends. Just got to get to it, if I spent some of the time I tend to spend on Leage of Legends and this forum on painting my miniatures instead I'd have so much done, but idk motivation is difficult, still I have to finish painting my blood bowl team...the Hurry Scurry Touchdown, And I suppose the only way to see if they are any good is to bring them around to a game store and play against someone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 7:29 am

If you read my PPR posts you know I am as anti woke as anybody but that is not what is happening here. What this thread has demonstrated is why woke exists. The description in question is not misogynistic but it is sexist. That is what is being pointed out and that is all that the OP’s complaint is about, there is no misandry(prejudice against, hatred of men) going here.

Human Computers: The Women of NASA

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 9:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If you read my PPR posts you know I am as anti woke as anybody but that is not what is happening here. What this thread has demonstrated is why woke exists. The description in question is not misogynistic but it is sexist. That is what is being pointed out and that is all that the OP’s complaint is about, there is no misandry(prejudice against, hatred of men) going here.

Human Computers: The Women of NASA

It was said in jest.
I don't have a problem with that, but it shouldn't be in the description of the forum.
But I am not going to have a cry over it. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 11:28 am

It’s something historical—“when men were men.” It’s a phrase said either in jest, or unironically lamenting the loss of “old time values.”

I believe it was said in jest. Alex, one of the founders of WP, believes wholeheartedly in the “woke” ideology.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:42 pm

What Krafty said.

First off the phrase "writing your own device driver" is equally Greek to most men and women alike. Its not about being masculine, but about being so uber geek that you would even know what that phrase means- more so if you're nostalgic about whatever it is. Second its a reference to things folks used to say back in the day....like "men were men when you drove manual shift on a car" (as a opposed to driving automatic). Its too corny and silly to be offended by IMHO.

Folks would also lament that women used mixes instead baking cakes from scratch (the female equivalent). Though I dont recall folks saying "when women were women". They would just say "like grandma used to do it". But I digress.

BTW I think that my dad met that lady admiral when he was a civilian film writer employed by the Navy back around 1980. He talked about a lady admiral who had been a pioneer in computers who gave a lecture he had just attended at work . Said that an interesting thing she did was to "show us what a nanosecond looks like". She pulled out a wire the length it takes for data to move in one nanosecond. And then lifted a piece of a big coiled tangle of wire on the stage and said "THIS is what a whole millisecond looks like".

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 12:50 pm

Technology owes a lot to Hedy Lamarr.
https://massivesci.com/articles/hedy-la ... frequency/

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 1:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
BTW I think that my dad met that lady admiral when he was a civilian film writer employed by the Navy back around 1980. He talked about a lady admiral who had been a pioneer in computers who gave a lecture he had just attended at work . Said that an interesting thing she did was to "show us what a nanosecond looks like". She pulled out a wire the length it takes for data to move in one nanosecond. And then lifted a piece of a big coiled tangle of wire on the stage and said "THIS is what a whole millisecond looks like".
That's her!

Never met her but I took a COBOL class taught by someone who had been on her team. (He was nice; COBOL isn't.)