Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 5:21 am

Misslizard wrote:
Technology owes a lot to Hedy Lamarr.
https://massivesci.com/articles/hedy-la ... frequency/

He She was probably Trans.
Women don't have the mental hardware to think logically/scientifically.
Just look at magz. :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 5:33 am

It's a quote from Linus Torvalds and I interpret it as a half-joking expression of sentiment for pioneer times.

Personally, I can't do anything about fora descriptions. I guess Alex would need to agree on it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 5:40 am

Was one of my posts deleted? 8O

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 6:03 am

Pepe wrote:
Was one of my posts deleted? 8O

<searching the post dungeon>
Yes, the offtopic one. Not by me.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Sep 2021, 7:23 am

As a male who actually did write device drivers I see this as nothing more than a nostalgic, rueful comment on changes in the way software tends to be written, with its heavy reliance on API calls and bloated libraries - where once work was sometimes done "directly at the coal face", or "on bare metal". It was also great fun. It's simply lamenting the loss of those days of byte-level, CPU opcode precision, direct hardware interaction and the challenges overcome, now consigned to history or some tiny subsection of a library.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:55 am

↑ I have a similar background in writing custom software for the 4004, 8080, Z80, and others, during the time when programmers wrote programs and computers were used to compute.

"When men were men..." has been used to sell beer, cars/trucks, liquor, tobacco products and other "macho" fetishes.  It is an outdated phrase, since it often refers to a cultural phenomenon not seen since the 1950s.

I am inclined to agree with the OP, and if Alex would change it, that would be a change for the better.

Until then, I will just ignore it and move on.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 2:53 pm

I find "when men were men" amusing also (in that caveman way)... but it makes me think sadly of my mother and my grandmother and me in the field (or rather being pushed out). As I said I am in a lot of pain recently from lack of inclusion in IT. Some folks elbow their way through, but some are more... polite. I got burnt and burnt out. I don't post in that forum much b/c I have something PTSD-like as a woman in technology (and ASD to boot, eh?), and the description is a small albeit firm nail in that coffin. For my part, I'm working on it. At work there was a lot of invalidation (it's just a simple joke, mistake, oversight, they had a good intention to the exclusion of impact) and victim blaming (don't be so sensitive, why didn't you say/do something then?). It was rough. Kind of like some folks experience of being ASD in an NT world... if anyone here can relate to that. :wink:

If there is ever a cooking forum and it says "when women were women and grounded the flour and whipped the butter..." I'll be sure to pipe up. Asides all the fabulous cooks of all genders, so much is out of boxes these days (in the first world).

Thanks for the input folks... and the lightness. I laughed out loud about the greetings humans and the such.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 3:05 pm

I am sorry, Sharon.  In spite of my best efforts at inclusion in the workplace, women and minorities are still being marginalized and discriminated against through micro-aggressive acts, most of which may go unreported out of fear of reprisal and escalation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

@SharonB: I can probably change the forum description - it's not something I've tried so no promises - but if you (or anyone else) can think of a similar quip to add to "Do you pine for the days when men were men and wrote their own device drivers" I'll edit it to include the suggestion.
Maybe "and women could punch the heck out of a card", as you said in your first post?

Keep it as short as possible please!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:04 pm

"If you long for a time when pride in a line of code was a normal part of your day..."

But maybe that is too long ... ?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

Too long, and I was looking for something addressing in some light-hearted way the contributions made by women as a balance to the "when men were men" part.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:24 pm

Hmm ... 260 total characters and spaces ... not much wiggle-room ...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:24 pm

Cornflake wrote:
@SharonB: I can probably change the forum description - it's not something I've tried so no promises - but if you (or anyone else) can think of a similar quip to add to "Do you pine for the days when men were men and wrote their own device drivers" I'll edit it to include the suggestion.
Maybe "and women could punch the heck out of a card", as you said in your first post?

Keep it as short as possible please!

“Do you pine for the days when people wrote their own device drivers”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Maybe "and women could punch the heck out of a card", as you said in your first post? Keep it as short as possible please!
“Do you pine for the days when people wrote their own device drivers”
"Do you pine for the days when real programmers wrote their own device drivers?" -- Same length as the original!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Sep 2021, 4:39 pm

Wait, what now - fake programmers wrote device drivers? :scratch:

As said - I'm looking for something addressing in some light-hearted way the contributions made by women to add as a balance to the "when men were men" part, not a replacement for it.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:45 pm

I'm not sure there is a good replacement, I can't think of a phrase that replicates the tongue-in-cheek nostalgia and humourous juxtaposition of "men were men" and "writing device drivers".