Reason to not kill myself?

Page 4 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Sep 2021, 8:38 am

I’ve felt this way for a long, long time. Have even attempted suicide many times in the past.

I thought about this a lot. If I was meant to die and go on to the next life, surely I would have passed already. I’m not really religious, but it seems my body is pretty tough- or maybe I’m meant to marry the person I’m in a long-distance (okay, semi-long distance, just at the other end of the state) relationship with, and we’ve always known each other (well, since elementary school).

Maybe it would help to focus on the now, if you can. That’s what I do.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Aspies have the same potential lifespan as non-Aspies.

There is nothing, physically, in having Asperger's which reduces a person's lifespan.

Perhaps. Though I'd imagine suicide rates are indeed higher, which would lower the average lifespan of Aspies vs NTs. What makes you think death is simply about natural, physical ailments, especially when the very topic of thread is about suicide related to Asperger's?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

I don't believe suicide amongst Aspies significantly reduces lifespan.

In order for that to happen, many thousands of Aspies would have to commit suicide.

All I'm saying is that the allegation that people with Aspergers having a reduced lifespan is an erroneous one.

Within the COVID Pandemic, despite the many deaths associated with it, overall lifespan was reduced by only one year.

I say all this because there are people who believe, merely by virtue of having Aspergers, that their lifespan is automatically reduced. This is not so.

If one has Down Syndrome, though, the person's lifespan is reduced.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Sep 2021, 9:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe suicide amongst Aspies significantly reduces lifespan.

I dunno, I’m pretty sure anybody who kills themselves has a reduced lifespan, autistic or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:59 am

But of course!

But I'm talking about the lifespan of living people :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:44 am

This is a very pessimistic generalization , " The "successful" older Aspies here can't give you any meaningful advice. " (.from the above posting ) Of which i generally do not share.Sounds like a very youthful point of veiw . Even showing signs of ageism .Perhaps as you age , your opinion may change

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:59 pm

I'm not THAT successful :P

I am older, though.

Does that mean I could give "meaningful advice"? :wink:

Dorkseid is already past 36----so he has already "bucked the trend."

Dorkseid is a viable person. He knows how to argue rhetorically. He works. He communicates with people. He doesn't molest little children. All this means is that he's a viable person. He's going through some stuff that many people go through. Many people get through the depths, and are better for it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:08 pm

dorkseid wrote:
The longer I wait, the more unnecessary suffering I will endure.

Death is forever, life is short, tomorrow might be a better day.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not THAT successful :P

I am older, though.

Does that mean I could give "meaningful advice"? :wink:

Dorkseid is already past 36----so he has already "bucked the trend."

Dorkseid is a viable person. He knows how to argue rhetorically. He works. He communicates with people. He doesn't molest little children. All this means is that he's a viable person. He's going through some stuff that many people go through. Many people get through the depths, and are better for it.

Must admit that i consider you as successful Kraftie , and merely by virtue of years lived , i feel you have much to contribute .

And i do not doubt in the Least ... that dorkseid is a viable person , And i hope he get through this

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:07 pm

Thanks, Jakki. Your opinion counts loads! :)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm

I do wonder sometimes is undiagnosed Aspies who never find an answer for why they may be different are more likely to commit suicide. We wouldn't know, as since they're undiagnosed, statistics couldn't tell us if these people who commit suicide were on the spectrum.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
All I'm saying is that the allegation that people with Aspergers having a reduced lifespan is an erroneous one.

Within the COVID Pandemic, despite the many deaths associated with it, overall lifespan was reduced by only one year.

I say all this because there are people who believe, merely by virtue of having Aspergers, that their lifespan is automatically reduced. This is not so.

It is interesting to note that one study says Autistic children are 40x more likely to die from an accident or some other preventable/treatable injury. With that many childhood deaths, the average lifespan for an autist overall would indeed be significantly reduced compared to the general population average.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/health/a ... index.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

It should be noted that all this includes relatively severely-affected autistic people, who are more likely to get into accidents, and more likely to have a genetic/chromosomal disorder which reduces lifespan.

I'm not going to sit here, and tell people that having autism will reduce a person's lifespan----because, absent the existence of co-morbids, autism itself does not reduce lifespan.

I'm 60 years old, and I intend on living at least 30 more years. I recently had successful surgery for prostate cancer; I'm fortunate they "caught it in time."

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:30 pm

Have seen reports like this....... before over the years. GIVEN my younger years am very possibly
the poster child for death by accidents . Repeatedly over the years . It was pure luck that managed any degree of recovery from those experiences. ( according to a number of doctors and thier skills which saved me at the time.) Much bigger issues than only spatial dysfunctions .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:36 pm

I'm a pretty clumsy individual myself. I almost got hit by a bike yesterday.

In January, I fell down while I was running, and broke my pinky. Luckily, I didn't break my head LOL

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm

Congrats on a successful surgery kraftie . You go kraftie.... 30 more years ...!