2 Florida teens accused of planning another Columbine

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 2:49 pm

Two Florida teens accused of planning a Columbine-style school shooting

Quote:
Two teenagers were arrested Thursday after authorities said they plotted to commit a mass shooting at a Florida middle school.

The 13- and 14-year-old boys were charged with conspiracy to commit a mass shooting after a student told a teacher that one of them had a gun in his backpack Wednesday at Harns Marsh Middle School in Lehigh Acres, about 15 miles east of Fort Myers, Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno said during a press conference.

"This could have been the next Parkland massacre, but we stopped them in the planning stages," Marceno said, referring to the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 people dead.

Investigators searched an eighth grader's bag after they were tipped off, but did not find a gun, the sheriff's office said. Instead deputies found a map of where the school's security cameras were located.

An investigation determined that the teens were allegedly studying the April 20, 1999, Columbine massacre that was planned by two troubled students who murdered a dozen classmates and a teacher before they killed themselves, Marceno said. Authorities also accused the teens of trying to learn how to construct pipe bombs and how to buy firearms off the black market.

Deputies executed search warrants at both students' homes and found a gun and several knives, according to the sheriff's office. In total, Marceno said authorities searched the boys' home nearly 80 times.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 4:04 pm

Here we go again referring to what almost happened in that school. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 6:56 pm

Conspiracy to Commit Murder is not something that "almost" happened.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm

Authorities also accused the teens of trying to learn how to construct pipe bombs and how to buy firearms off the black market.

Hmmm so I guess there should be safeguards in place that prevent a 14yr old form buying an AR-15 over the internet?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 12:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Authorities also accused the teens of trying to learn how to construct pipe bombs and how to buy firearms off the black market.

Hmmm so I guess there should be safeguards in place that prevent a 14yr old form buying an AR-15 over the internet?

It's illegal for anyone to buy firearms off the internet, all transactions are required to go through a licensed dealer who performs the mandated background check, which you'd know if you had even a basic understanding of American law. Some states allow face to face transactions to be handled informally, such as someone selling a gun at a garage sale, but even they are not allowed to sell to anyone that they reasonably suspect of being ineligible to possess a firearms, such as a young teen.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 12:47 am

The news report is unclear if the gun seized during the search belonged to one of the parents or where it was found, or what type of gun it was, everything else sounds like loose talk and pretty typical teenage boy internet searches, the charges sound overblown to me unless more information comes to light. I understand that they have to take these things seriously these days for liability reasons if nothing else, but I still cringe to see the legal system sucking in young people over what might just amount to teen angst.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 2:17 am

Quote:
"authorities searched the boys' home nearly 80 times"

EIGHTY TIMES ??

Be the hero of your life.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 4:16 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Quote:
"authorities searched the boys' home nearly 80 times"

EIGHTY TIMES ??

I did a double take on that as well, I'd like to know more about that number.