Response to "If you are a white person... "

Page 16 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 1:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not trying to make a positive case, I'm just pointing out that Rufo and similar rely on dishonestly portraying a topic and reducing it to buzzwords to present their case which is largely an appeal to emotion and grievance. If that's what resonates with you, that's nice but I'm not going to pretend like it doesn't look like grifters exploiting people's rage.

In other words Rufo is misusing “Critical Race Theory” in a similar manner as “Black Lives Matter” and “Anti Racism” is misused.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 1:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not trying to make a positive case, I'm just pointing out that Rufo and similar rely on dishonestly portraying a topic and reducing it to buzzwords to present their case which is largely an appeal to emotion and grievance. If that's what resonates with you, that's nice but I'm not going to pretend like it doesn't look like grifters exploiting people's rage.

In other words Rufo is misusing “Critical Race Theory” in a similar manner as “Black Lives Matter” and “Anti Racism” is misused.

The difference is that BLM is a popular movement among civilians. Anti-CRT is being pushed by taxpayer funded republican politicians who are more interested in the time honoured passtime of race baiting than the employment. health, quality of life and education of their population.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 1:53 am

funeralxempire wrote:
If that's how they're teaching about the concept of privilege they're probably going to end up doing more damage than good to how well people understand the concept.

Exactly.

Look at some of his stuff, it's not all perfect but many of the leaked documents are horrifying:

https://christopherrufo.com/articles/

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 1:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
The difference is that BLM is a popular movement among civilians. Anti-CRT is being pushed by taxpayer funded republican politicians who are more interested in the time honoured passtime of race baiting than the employment. health, quality of life and education of their population.

L O L

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 3:39 am

dorkseid wrote:
I have personally been bullied by so-called woke SJWs and feminists denying my own experiences of marginalization on the basis of white privilege.

Again, the point was never about the concept of white privilege, but rather how certain people misuse it.

I've seen similar things occur (and have on a number of occasions in various places suffered from them myself when these same "woke SJWs and feminists" have assumed and assigned a racial heritage to myself - Either you disclose personal information and get attacked by racists on one side, or don't disclose and so get attacked by the racists on the other...) It's disappointing that those people are unable to see beyond a person's "race" to the actual individual but that is a reflection on them and their character, not their victim's.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 6:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

And BLM and “woke” ideologies etc is being funded and promoted by cooperations. Yes consumers can elect to hurt companies by electing to not spend money. Voters can choose to not vote Republican.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 3:46 pm

Corporations face lawsuits on many fronts.

They likely have to have this kind of training so they can show they make an effort.

Be the hero of your life.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Corporations face lawsuits on many fronts.

They likely have to have this kind of training so they can show they make an effort.

That's a bingo.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
And BLM and “woke” ideologies etc is being funded and promoted by cooperations. Yes consumers can elect to hurt companies by electing to not spend money. Voters can choose to not vote Republican.

Isn't this a chicken-egg situation though? corporations never started this type of thing out of the goodness of their hearts.

For example, H&M clothing spent millions on promoting "re-wearing" as a way of reducing carbon footprints and exploiting sweatshops. But the ad campaign didn't make sense since they are major clothing firm and they were shooting themselves in the foot by telling potential customers to recycle clothes rather than spend their money in their stores??

Like petrol companies companies promoting renewable energy. I'll pose the question, why would they do this?

In getting caught up in the granular issues the big picture is being missed. We have entered a new "zeitgeist" like back in the 1960s and in the 1980s where now global issues that have transnational importance are eroding silly little beliefs that people want to cling onto like a dirty old security blanket. There are bigger fish to fry.

Companies want to be good corporate citizens of the world. The republican party are appealing to their confused supporters pretending they can turn back to the clock to the "good old days". They are selling something they can't deliver.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 9:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Isn't this a chicken-egg situation though? corporations never started this type of thing out of the goodness of their hearts.

For example, H&M clothing spent millions on promoting "re-wearing" as a way of reducing carbon footprints and exploiting sweatshops. But the ad campaign didn't make sense since they are major clothing firm and they were shooting themselves in the foot by telling potential customers to recycle clothes rather than spend their money in their stores??

Like petrol companies companies promoting renewable energy. I'll pose the question, why would they do this?

In getting caught up in the granular issues the big picture is being missed. We have entered a new "zeitgeist" like back in the 1960s and in the 1980s where now global issues that have transnational importance are eroding silly little beliefs that people want to cling onto like a dirty old security blanket. There are bigger fish to fry.

Companies want to be good corporate citizens of the world. The republican party are appealing to their confused supporters pretending they can turn back to the clock to the "good old days". They are selling something they can't deliver.

Money is always the number 1 consideration with companies. Decisions on how to make the most money are made by humans. A lot of the decision makers at these companies did learn “woke” or proto “woke” ideologies in college so the probably believe in it in some way. Most of the younger employees are products of the lefty education system and are demanding these things. In order to keep thier employees from rebelling they feel they have to give in.

Everybody saw the murder of George Floyd over and over again. NT “hive mind” and emotionalism created a universal demand to do something NOW.

I believe the 60s were a time of major social changes and now is a time of revolutionary change. But the 80s? Technological change yes but social and political retrenchment. A lot of the 60s changes were rolled back.

Colorblindness as a goal, not wanting to cancel a person based on a 10 year old bad tweet are not silky little beliefs.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 2:54 pm

Geez. Lets just criminalize being white and get it over with.
No sense in letting all those FEMA camps go to waste.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:17 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Geez. Lets just criminalize being white and get it over with.
No sense in letting all those FEMA camps go to waste.

Only in your mind. wh***y still runs the world, and will be till China takes over.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:26 pm

@AS

Wait? what...were you alive in the 1980s AS? I was. There were major social changes that have ripples to this day
1. End of the cold war
2. fall of Russia and the Berlin wall
3. End of fear of nuclear war which had been casting a shadow since the 1950s
2. Emergence of the expanded EU to include free soviet states
3. Emergence of capitalist China (this made Australia very very wealthy)
4. drugs became freely available
5. free sex was ramapant in the 1980s
6. rise of AIDS
7. the 80s finished with a GFC that we have never quite got over
8. US enters the middle east in Afghanistan and starts process for later middle eastern instability

Mature societies are capable of striking a balance and negotiating boundaries of what is feasible. If you are referring to Kevin Hart, yes he missed out on hosting the Oscars but he's more than made up for it making millions of dollars in other ways.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

You are lucky because some group of people are considered criminals etc simply based on skin color, which is dumb as f***!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 3:53 am

Fixxer wrote:
You are lucky because some group of people are considered criminals etc simply based on skin color, which is dumb as f***!

Sure, if its that simple then give the US back to the Native Americans right. no hard feelings.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 12:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fixxer wrote:

Sure, if its that simple then give the US back to the Native Americans right. no hard feelings.

Shouldn't Australia be given back to the aborigines then?