PAQ - Perth Alexithymia Questionnaire

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2021, 10:35 pm

I'm getting assessed by a psychologist and she sent me home with this Perth Alexithymia Questionnaire. First, has anyone some experience with this that you might share? Second - really, I don't care if I'm the only one...and I don't care its the same for everyone... But how the <insert bad word here>, am I suppose to answer this:

1. When I'm feeling bad (feeling an unpleasant emotion), I can't find the right words to describe those feelings.

And rate it from one, for strongly disagree to a seven for strongly agree. Alrighty then, let's start with "I can't find the right words...". The right words, for whom? Because I understand the words I use, just fine. Its just you don't speak my first language. So maybe, the reason I don't 'sound' like I'm describing my feelings easily - to you...(deep breath) Is because, in the midst of trying to experience a raw emotion, in any kind of authentic way... I am having to stop and translate back into something that makes the listener feel good. Translating is hard. Your language makes no sense...and sometimes, what I really need, is for just one of you to learn my language and listen to me in it. I can't even begin to imagine what a generation of bilingual social workers could do as advocates. Anyway, if your still reading, you've indulged the catharsis long enough. Back to it then...

Most times, when I have an unpleasant feeling, I can describe how I feel. It is a much smaller percentage of the time, that I can translate my description into your first language - particularly when pressured. So it matters. Next: There are no adverbs of indefinite frequency. It doesn't say usually or rarely so it means always. Who wouldn't be on that list? Next: "When I'm feeling bad(feeling an unpleasant emotion),..." The use of the words 'an' and 'emotion' indicate singular - one. But, "...describe those feelings." has the 'those' and the plural 'feelings'. So what, describe the one that is many? Are you sure you're not in a religious cult? Oh my goodness...I did it again, didn't I...? /soapbox How to interpret what you meant by that Common Core example...

Clearly, I can't behave. Does anyone else struggle with this? Not misbehaving, I'm talking about troubles translating questions like these. These, or others like these. Anyone? I'd make a poll but...

:wink: :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 10:54 pm

I did a different Alexithymia profile screening as part of my ASD diagnosis. I don't remember the specific questions but they were similar to that. In my case I'd say "no, I can't find the right words". In my case I can't even find the right words for my personal understanding of emotions. It's not about the words I would use for other people. When I have an emotion I can't usually label it in my own mind in order to figure out what's going on, or what I'm supposed to do about it. I've had a lot of therapy with OT and I'm doing a little better now, but I still get overwhelmed by nameless feelings that I tend to lump into categories of "good" or "bad" without much distinction.

Assuming you don't have the same issue, I'd just roll with the punches and say no -- based on what you describe. If it's a big problem in your life and you feel that people don't understand you (whether your fault or theirs), I'd rate it more strongly.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2021, 11:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I did a different Alexithymia profile screening as part of my ASD diagnosis. I don't remember the specific questions but they were similar to that. In my case I'd say "no, I can't find the right words". In my case I can't even find the right words for my personal understanding of emotions. It's not about the words I would use for other people. When I have an emotion I can't usually label it in my own mind in order to figure out what's going on, or what I'm supposed to do about it. I've had a lot of therapy with OT and I'm doing a little better now, but I still get overwhelmed by nameless feelings that I tend to lump into categories of "good" or "bad" without much distinction.

Assuming you don't have the same issue, I'd just roll with the punches and say no -- based on what you describe. If it's a big problem in your life and you feel that people don't understand you (whether your fault or theirs), I'd rate it more strongly.

Thank you, very much. The author of the study just thanked me for the singular/plural bit - he said they'll fix in that in the next version of the scale. Between the two of you, I've stopped spinning significantly. Thanks. :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 11:29 pm

AngelL wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Thank you, very much. The author of the study just thanked me for the singular/plural bit - he said they'll fix in that in the next version of the scale. Between the two of you, I've stopped spinning significantly. Thanks. :)

It's great that you were able to contact the author. If it's anything like my test, the result will just be "Yes you have Alexithymia", or "No you don't", without a specific score given. Mine just said "Yes", and then the assessment doctor told me I had scored highly, but I never saw a final number in my report.

Good luck and I hope the insights bring you some support!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 11:40 pm

I never had such assessment.
In my case, yes.

I have more issues with articulating, comprehending languages and communicating emotions.
Than the knowing, being aware of and comprehending emotions and other feelings.

I struggle to or can't find the words, because I'm not good at verbalizing, describing and retrieving vocabularies of things at all -- which isn't limited to emotions at all.

It doesn't help that I usually don't like people prying about my feelings.

But definitely yes -- I've always known the limits of languages and the current contexts when it comes to the external (which is supposedly objective), let alone internal (which is definitely subjective).

Somewhere in the net, professionals are supposedly cautioned about labelling those individuals with language and communication issues as alexithymic.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.