How many times do we have to get vaccinated ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 1:30 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
I'm hoping boosters are only needed for the older of the population but they will likely be early.  For the younger they should have their double jabs to make catching it safer than it already is for the young and just let natural herd immunity do the rest.  This pandemic like all others can only be fought with antibodies so I don't see the point of masks in places with very high vaccine uptakes.
The point is that because not everybody is getting vaccinated, masks are necessary to keep infected people from exhaling the virus into other people's faces.
But that's a free booster shot to the vaccinated with almost no risk to them.
Exactly.  However, when one unvaxxed and maskless person inhales the infected breath from another unvaxxed and maskless person, that make TWO people infected.  Then they go on to infect two more, who infect two more, who infect two more... That is how viral infections become epidemics.
If all those people were offered a vaccine and refuse it then that's their problem. To people like you and me who had the vaccine they're actually useful on keeping us "updated" with the latest strain.
I would feel the same -- "Let Natural Selection Have Its Way!" -- were it not for the loss by covid of many friends, relatives, and acquaintances who did not want to be vaccinated.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
I'm hoping boosters are only needed for the older of the population but they will likely be early.  For the younger they should have their double jabs to make catching it safer than it already is for the young and just let natural herd immunity do the rest.  This pandemic like all others can only be fought with antibodies so I don't see the point of masks in places with very high vaccine uptakes.
The point is that because not everybody is getting vaccinated, masks are necessary to keep infected people from exhaling the virus into other people's faces.
But that's a free booster shot to the vaccinated with almost no risk to them.
Exactly.  However, when one unvaxxed and maskless person inhales the infected breath from another unvaxxed and maskless person, that make TWO people infected.  Then they go on to infect two more, who infect two more, who infect two more... That is how viral infections become epidemics.
If all those people were offered a vaccine and refuse it then that's their problem. To people like you and me who had the vaccine they're actually useful on keeping us "updated" with the latest strain.
I would feel the same -- "Let Natural Selection Have Its Way!" -- were it not for the loss by covid of many friends, relatives, and acquaintances who did not want to be vaccinated.

I've read your previous posts about the number of your friends and relatives that had been struck down by the virus. Did any of them ever express reservations or scepticism about authority, medicine and government previously?

I think once vaccine uptake starts to flat line and only kids remain like it has in the UK then trying to prevent spread starts causing more harm than it's worth. Other viruses are loving their long holiday and the vaccine can only get weaker and weaker if not allowed to come into contact with the virus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 4:06 pm

The virus is "endemic"-----everywhere.

A Pandemic.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

The bubonic plague isn't endemic in this country even though it was present in this UK during the 14th century and the Spanish flu isn't endemic in this country even though it was present in the UK in 1918-20. Those two viruses are now long gone in this country and the plague is back in tiny isolated spots in Asia where it came from.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm

We'll have to get boosters as often as the pharmaceutical industry can get government approval & government funding for em. The more shots they give us, the more money they make. If I express concern about these vaccines, people accuse me of thinking that vaccines cause autism or that parents should have the right to endanger their kids health for moral & religious reasons or I get accused of wanting people to have to watch their loved 1s suffer & die, & I also get called a Trump supporter :roll: NONE of this is remotely true but I get tossed into those categories :wall:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 12:13 pm

I saw a news video of people in war-torn Syria in hospitals with the virus especially toddlers, it depresses and it leaves me with the impression that we are still very far away from any end to it even though up to today over 45% of the globe has been vaccinated (with at least one dose). Also over here in the UK, they are still talking about further restrictions and possible lock downs even though over 70% of the UK has been vaccinated. It does feel like my position on lock downs and stuff is beginning to change even though I accepted them before. It as though I'm becoming disillusioned by it now because we did all these things to keep us safe before the vaccines existed.

Last edited by chris1989 on 01 Oct 2021, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 1:44 pm

How many times will I get vaccinated?
As many times as necessary and probably more then necessary out of abundance of caution.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 9:44 pm

I will get vaccinated as often as I am required to in order to maintain a tiny bit more personal freedom when leaving my home even if I end up committing suicide the next day. I was delirious the day after I got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine & apparently I was talking about blowing my face off with a shotgun. I don't remember that but my girlfriend sure did 8O I haven't really thought about killing myself in probably at least 12 years. Maybe some of the meds I'm on had an interaction with that vaccine :? Very ironic because lots of people were insisting that we would die if we didn't get vaxed. I'm d@mned if I do & d@mned if I don't & the cr@p on this planet is rapidly getting worse so I'd rather gamble trying to win a tad more freedom than gamble trying to win a longer life. There is a huge difference between living & being alive.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 8:47 am

I also seem to think that whenever we might think that there will be an end to it sooner it is then dashed by other revelations to do with the virus. When the vaccines arrived, we were probably all responding with high hopes that the end for this pandemic will come sooner, the vaccines are very effective against deaths and hospitalisations but not so much on the transmission and then some scientists have said that herd immunity may not be achievable now because of other strains. The delta variant is now the most widespread. The threshold for herd immunity to this strain is between 80 and 88%. Someone also said that it maybe not herd immunity we need but we may need ''herd immunities'' against the new strains. I presume we may have now hit the immunity threshold of the original strain from 2020 (58-71%). But I seem to feel like we will just be going through a never-ending cycle of boosters then dealing with another strain and then boosting again, its like the virus is always going many more steps ahead us and we will never catch up to it and that the whole world has to then catch up with a new strain.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 12:25 pm

I'll post this shortish article about a small survey/study here :arrow:

Medical Mistrust Fuels Vaccine Hesitancy Among Hispanics
https://www.drugs.com/news/medical-mist ... cc4a6e3119

Quote:
Medical Mistrust Fuels Vaccine Hesitancy Among Hispanics

TUESDAY, Oct. 5, 2021 -- Misinformation and medical mistrust are major drivers of vaccine hesitancy among U.S. Hispanics, new research shows.

The researchers also found that protecting other family members is an important factor in convincing Hispanics to get vaccinated.

The small study included 22 Hispanic mothers in Oregon and 24 of their children who were in grades 9 to 12. At the time of the study, Hispanics accounted for 27% of coronavirus infections in Oregon, even though they made up only about 13% of the state's population.

A major concern among the study participants was the myth that COVID-19 vaccination causes sterility, the Oregon State University researchers found.

That fear has a historical basis due to previous forced sterilization programs by the U.S. government, according to Jonathan Garcia, an associate professor in the university's College of Public Health and Human Sciences.

That history has to be acknowledged by medical providers to help patients overcome their fears and get vaccinated, he explained.

"We can't relay dry facts without addressing the history of trauma and discrimination that lead people to mistrust medical systems," Garcia said in a university news release. "The system is at fault for vaccine hesitancy. It's not about being stubborn, or people not knowing enough; it's that the system hasn't addressed these historical traumas sufficiently and hasn't engaged sufficiently with their cultures."

The researchers also found a need for better communication about the country's COVID-19 vaccine rollout. When health officials suggested that Hispanics be first to get vaccinated due to risk factors such as workplace exposure and underlying health conditions, some people felt they were being used as "guinea pigs," according to the study published Oct. 1 in the journal Health Education and Behavior.

The investigators also discovered that the idea of getting vaccinated to protect other family members appealed to the study participants. Many also viewed vaccination as a path back to full employment.

Teen participants often had to dispel vaccination conspiracy theories their parents saw on social media and keep their parents updated on the latest news, the study showed.

"The usefulness of a study like this is that it allows us to understand the complexities that arise from lived experience," Garcia said.
Sources
Oregon State University, news release, Oct. 1, 2021
I think this part can be very actuate for why some are hesitant :arrow:
"We can't relay dry facts without addressing the history of trauma and discrimination that lead people to mistrust medical systems," Garcia said in a university news release. "The system is at fault for vaccine hesitancy. It's not about being stubborn, or people not knowing enough; it's that the system hasn't addressed these historical traumas sufficiently and hasn't engaged sufficiently with their cultures."

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:42 pm

I have had three vaccinations.

The most recent was in June as part of an experimental trial within the NHS.

I still caught Covid last week.

Started to feel a little better today but all the same I feel as though I have been run over by a truck. And I have 100% smell and taste loss. 100%. I hope that it comes back as its weird being without them.

Perhaps if I hadnt received three doses it would have hit me harder?

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 3:47 pm

I have sometimes wondered if it is the case that vaccinated people can still pass on the virus, what happens when eventually nearly 100% of people on the planet have been vaccinated ? Do they still pass it on ? If one or two countries on the planet are not completely vaccinated and the rest of the world is vaccinated does it still present a threat to the rest of us ? I asked this question to someone once and they said not really, it means that the virus is being squeezed in.