How many times do we have to get vaccinated ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 9:05 am

I have had two Pfizer jabs and in the UK they will be doing booster shots I think mainly for the vulnerable, the elderly and people over 50 but I seem to think they may persuade younger age groups to take it at some point. I wondered at times how many times do we need to keep doing this ? I'm always worried that once we develop one booster, the virus changes, then we take months to develop a booster for that strain and then the cycle keeps repeating itself and that we will always be behind. I have even thought surely its not always good for our bodies to keep injecting ourselves with the same thing. I know that more than 40% of the global population has been vaccinated but I do worry we will still be talking about even if the global vaccination rate is close to 100%.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2021, 9:10 am

In the worst-case scenario, it will have to be updated yearly like flu shots.
Booster shots can be updated against new variants with existing technology.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 9:10 am

Expect another booster every year or so, until the coronavirus is no longer a threat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm

Advisers of the CDC will meet next week to talk about booster shots.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 9:52 am

I totally foresee booster shots in the immediate future.

And it might become a yearly thing.

Let's hope the efficacy of the future shots is higher than that of most flu vaccines.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:01 am

I'm hoping boosters are only needed for the older of the population but they will likely be early. For the younger they should have their double jabs to make catching it safer than it already is for the young and just let natural herd immunity do the rest.

This pandemic like all others can only be fought antibodies so I don't see the point of masks in places with very high vaccine uptakes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:10 am

The virulence of COVID has not been reduced by time. In fact, it seems like, overall, it is slightly more virulent than previously.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:13 am

Nades wrote:
I'm hoping boosters are only needed for the older of the population but they will likely be early.  For the younger they should have their double jabs to make catching it safer than it already is for the young and just let natural herd immunity do the rest.  This pandemic like all others can only be fought with antibodies so I don't see the point of masks in places with very high vaccine uptakes.
The point is that because not everybody is getting vaccinated, masks are necessary to keep infected people from exhaling the virus into other people's faces.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
I'm hoping boosters are only needed for the older of the population but they will likely be early.  For the younger they should have their double jabs to make catching it safer than it already is for the young and just let natural herd immunity do the rest.  This pandemic like all others can only be fought with antibodies so I don't see the point of masks in places with very high vaccine uptakes.
The point is that because not everybody is getting vaccinated, masks are necessary to keep infected people from exhaling the virus into other people's faces.

But that's a free booster shot to the vaccinated with almost no risk to them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:21 am

Perhaps the "herd immunity" theory could be applied to relatively mild diseases....but when it's something like smallpox, or perhaps even COVID, that theory goes out the window

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps the "herd immunity" theory could be applied to relatively mild diseases....but when it's something like smallpox, or perhaps even COVID, that theory goes out the window

Not really. Herd immunity from vaccines is largely what caused smallpox to become extinct. With a milder virus like covid, while never becoming extinct keeping it doing the rounds naturally ensures it'll always be as weak as it can be.

Hiding from it just makes it worse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:31 am

I was speaking more about the "herd immunity" which is allegedly conferred DESPITE vaccines.

What you said I agree with. With the help of vaccines.

There are notions that if many people catch a certain disease, that the virulence will automatically be reduced; hence, vaccines are not needed.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was speaking more about the "herd immunity" which is allegedly conferred DESPITE vaccines.

What you said I agree with. With the help of vaccines.

There are notions that if many people catch a certain disease, that the virulence will automatically be reduced; hence, vaccines are not needed.

Yeah. This is why I'm against social distancing and masks if a population has a very high uptake of vaccines.

All it'll do is ensure it remains a "novel virus" in the eyes of our immune system.

Vaccine immunity or natural immunity, it doesn't matter, give it long enough and our bodies will forget but the virus will never forget us.

Last edited by Nades on 16 Sep 2021, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:05 am

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Exactly.  However, when one unvaxxed and maskless person inhales the infected breath from another unvaxxed and maskless person, that make TWO people infected.  Then they go on to infect two more, who infect two more, who infect two more...

That is how viral infections become epidemics.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Exactly.  However, when one unvaxxed and maskless person inhales the infected breath from another unvaxxed and maskless person, that make TWO people infected.  Then they go on to infect two more, who infect two more, who infect two more...

That is how viral infections become epidemics.

If all those people were offered a vaccine and refuse it then that's their problem. To people like you and me who had the vaccine they're actually usefull on keeping us "updated" with the latest strain.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 12:48 pm

I sometimes think what happens if most people globally get vaccinated even though its efficacy against transmission is not as good what happens then ? and I'd like to see the evidence that the virus is becoming endemic because I don't seem to think that is happening right now.