EEOC Suit: McDonald’s Worker Fired Because Of His Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 7:42 am

Disability Scoop

Quote:
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is accusing the operator of numerous McDonald’s locations of disability discrimination over the firing of an employee with autism after 37 years on the job.

In a lawsuit filed this month, the federal agency claims that JDKD Enterprises, LP, which operates several McDonald’s franchises in New Jersey, violated the Americans with Disabilities Act when it terminated a grill cook with autism just two months after assuming ownership of the restaurant where he worked in Deptford, N.J.

The grill cook had worked at McDonald’s for decades, including about 10 years at the Deptford location, and had received awards for his performance, the EEOC said. His disability was noticeable primarily through his tendency to speak loudly.

The lawsuit alleges that JDKD Enterprises fired the worker with autism abruptly as a result of his disability even though he maintained excellent performance.

The EEOC said it attempted to reach a settlement with the McDonald’s operator before filing suit in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. The agency is seeking back pay, compensatory and punitive damages for the grill cook, among other remedies.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman