Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

TheDailySquirrel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2021, 8:48 am

I posted the latter text over at the 'intrusive thoughts' thread on general discussion and thought I'd bring it here also. If you have either peripheral or private staring OCD then this thread hopefully can be a place you can discuss your experiences.

I've suffered what has been self referred to by sufferers as 'Staring OCD' which is specifically visual focus related and is particularly concerned about peripheral and private area staring when engaged in social interactions. It is effectively an overlapping disorder with Alienation OCD and severe Social Anxiety. For some people Staring OCD might just have 'obsessive' elements and does not manifest in tics but cause discomfort and distraction to the sufferer. For those with the 'compulsive' elements then you see tics which reflexively manifest in 'focusing on' or being distracted by objects or people on the periphery of vision or private areas like the cleavage or genital areas of a person.

As you can imagine the aforementioned situation for a sufferer of 'Staring OCD' can lead to them being labelled a 'perv' or 'creeper' or something slur similar. The severity of the reaction is for certain effected by intersectional factors like attractiveness or popularity. I think for those with ASD who are effected by this type of OCD you've a higher chance of a strong hostile reaction if your tics are picked up. I know my tics have caused my public reputation to suffer an onslaught of pile on mobbing and I've been targeted by doxxers who have spread ever more salacious rumours about me that have damaged my standing with pretty much everyone in my life.

I think social anxiety related OCD subtypes need more attention as they will likely be the most serious in terms of negative impacts on people's lives as I've experienced. When I was looking up my problem online though I was getting itty bitty information which was vague and limited. Hopefully with more time and conversation we can build up a dialogue and look at solutions in the form of treatments therapies and safe spaces.

Whether you are dx with ASD or not, feel free to reply. We need to increase the discussion on this condition.