Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:54 pm

The government in the UK is saying they will not rule out a lockdown in the Autumn or Winter but its leaving me thinking how many more times do we lock down for ? We have had three so far and I will admit I was glad we did lock down and my anxiety eased during those times because of it and that I stayed at home. I seem to think maybe they preparing for one in cases of cases rising in over 60s because of vaccine waning. I seem to think as though you still have immunity against serious illness. I did find out in Pfizer it wanes between 74 or 77% in six months from your second dose, its not like your immunity is gone by that time and that you unprotected as you were before you were vaccinated.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 7:01 pm

chris1989 wrote:
How many lockdowns do we need?
As many as it takes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 7:19 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I did find out in Pfizer it wanes between 74 or 77% in six months from your second dose, its not like your immunity is gone by that time and that you unprotected as you were before you were vaccinated.

wonder if any rebound/tolerance issues may develop and make it worse than useless, like benzoz?

hope not as that is what im on!~ :? [pfizer not benzos] :jester:

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:39 pm

So to always shut down and damage our economies and make people's mental health even worse is a price worth paying ?

I do now sound like someone who is anti lockdown even though I accepted the last three we had. But some people seem to make out as though even though many of us in the UK are vaccinated, they make out as though the stuff we went through last year before we had vaccines history will repeat itself with hospitals overflowing and people dying. I knew its just for preparation in the future because we don't know how the Delta variant will react during the autumn and winter months but this doom mongering doesn't help me with my anxiety and it just makes me want to worry again. They also seem to make as though vaccination is useless. I keep reminding myself what others have told me that this is not a doomsday virus.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:19 pm

chris1989 wrote:
So to always shut down and damage our economies and make people's mental health even worse is a price worth paying?
When the alternative is a slow and painful death for millions more people, absolutely!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
So to always shut down and damage our economies and make people's mental health even worse is a price worth paying?
When the alternative is a slow and painful death, absolutely!

Trouble is, the first wave caused lots of slow and painful deaths in nursing homes and possibly among the UK learning disabled.

The lockdowns may have played a bigger role in these deaths than COVID, in Eastern Canada's nursing homes many died of starvation.

I still dont know what happened to the UK learning disabled, and only have run into a handful of people that are trying to find out.

I'd say since nursing homes were hit worse than they would be without lockdowns on the first wave, that the first lockdown may have been counter productive.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:10 pm

Dude, that is all old news.  Did you know that already 1 in 500 Americans has died from COVID-19?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:18 pm

nice stats lol. :skull:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 2:30 pm

We had lockdowns since March 2020, despite low infection rates.
The lockdowns were eased in Summer 2020.
The first big wave of infections happened in Autumn 2020.
Deaths from all reasons were constant until Autumn 2020 when they sharply raised and, during the maximum, doubled country-wide (locally they went 5-fold).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:32 pm

I did a bit of digging, and now think you went with Fox just to troll me or something.

Fnord wrote:
Dude, that is all old news. Did you know that already 1 in 500 Americans has died from COVID-19?

Regardless, the Fox presentation seems to count all deaths since Covid as Covid deaths.

Quote:
Johns Hopkins University reported Wednesday 663,970 people have died during the pandemic.

With the US population of 331.4 million for the April 2020 US Census, that is 1 in 500 people, according to CNN.

but going to the CNN article that Fox linked to, they are more clear and direct, or possibly more dishonest.

Quote:
As of Tuesday night, 663,913 people in the US have died of Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. According to the US Census Bureau, the US population as of April 2020 was 331.4 million.

one thing we can do do clear this up is check the total death rate for the same period of time before COVID, that should clear it right up.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 2:35 pm

The question is about excess deaths - deaths that happened minus deaths that would typically happen.
It's best expressed in percents.
I can't access the site from my location so I can't read the article.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:40 pm

If you Google or Bing "Vaccine tracker", you will see the vaccination rate for each country.

According to the list, the UK is at 70% fully vaccinated. A lockdown at this point in the UK is unlikely.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:42 pm

magz wrote:
The question is about excess deaths - deaths that happened minus deaths that would typically happen.
It's best expressed in percents.
I can't access the site from my location so I can't read the article.

I find it weird that Fox went with CNN on this in the first place, and weirder that Fnord went with Fox.

Weirder still, Fnord seems to be presenting this as a reason to forget the UK learning disabled.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:52 pm

The_Znof wrote:
I did a bit of digging, and now think you went with Fox just to troll me or something.
Fnord wrote:
Dude, that is all old news. Did you know that already 1 in 500 Americans has died from COVID-19?
Regardless, the Fox presentation seems to count all deaths since Covid as Covid deaths.
Quote:
Johns Hopkins University reported Wednesday 663,970 people have died during the pandemic.  With the US population of 331.4 million for the April 2020 US Census, that is 1 in 500 people, according to CNN.
but going to the CNN article that Fox linked to, they are more clear and direct, or possibly more dishonest. 
Quote:
As of Tuesday night, 663,913 people in the US have died of Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. According to the US Census Bureau, the US population as of April 2020 was 331.4 million.
  one thing we can do do clear this up is check the total death rate for the same period of time before COVID, that should clear it right up.
WHAT?!

Are you saying that CNN data is more accurate than FOX data?!

I am SHOCKED!

Shocked, I say!

:wink: Of course it is!

Seriously, the difference between 0.0020033584791792395896197948099 (CNN value of 663,970/331,400,000) and 0.002 (FOX value of 1/500) is only slightly over 1% -- well within a reasonable margin of error -- because the boffins at FOX cannot be bothered with all those extra decimal places.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
The_Znof wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Quote:
Johns Hopkins University reported Wednesday 663,970 people have died during the pandemic.  With the US population of 331.4 million for the April 2020 US Census, that is 1 in 500 people, according to CNN.
Quote:
WHAT?!

Are you saying that CNN data is more accurate than FOX data?!

I am SHOCKED!

Shocked, I say!

:wink: Of course it is!

Seriously, the difference between 0.0020033584791792395896197948099 (CNN value of 663,970/331,400,000) and 0.002 (FOX value of 1/500) is slightly over 1% -- well within a reasonable margin of error -- because the boffins at FOX cannot be bothered with all those extra decimal points.

I was not talking about the numbers, and now I feel harassed, lets drop this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:21 pm

The_Znof wrote:
... Fnord seems to be presenting this as a reason to forget the UK learning disabled.
Not at all.  From where did you get THAT idea?