General Milley tried to stop Trump from starting war

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:02 pm

Biden has 'complete confidence' in Milley, White House says

Quote:
President Biden has "complete confidence" in Gen. Mark Milley to carry on as chairman of the joint chiefs of staff after a forthcoming book reported extraordinary measures Milley took at the end of the Trump administration to guard against a potential missile launch

Psaki offered cover for Milley's reported actions, citing Trump's erratic behavior at the end of his first term in office.

Psaki cited past commentary and reporting from former Trump officials "questioning his stability, his behavior and his suitability to oversee the natinal security of the United States."

Milley has come under criticism and faced calls from some Republicans to resign following reports from a new book from Washington Post reporters that details two calls to his Chinese counterpart in the final months of the Trump administration.

Bob Woodward and Robert Costa reported in "Peril" that Milley sought to reassure the Chinese that the U.S. would not carry out a military strike against China, and later told his counterpart that he would warn him of an impending strike.

The authors also reported Milley held a meeting with senior officers to review the procedures for launching nuclear weapons, insisting that he be involved in the approval of such a strike.

A spokesperson for the joint chiefs did not deny the reports in a statement on Wednesday, but instead argued Milley acted within the scope of his responsibilities.

The reports of Milley's actions prompted concerns from lawmakers and former national security officials who argued Milley operated outside the bounds of his authority.

Multiple recent books have portrayed Milley as a gatekeeper of democratic norms in the final weeks of the Trump presidency and during the tumultuous summer of 2020 when unrest rocked multiple major cities after the killing of George Floyd.

Trump has attacked the general repeatedly since leaving office, and did so again on Tuesday after the book excerpts first leaked. Trump said if the story were true, Milley should be tried for treason.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:11 pm

General Milley is a true American.

Trump just wanted to watch the world burn.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:17 pm

Trump has always been seen as being a "loose cannon"----the Pentagon brass was decidedly against Trump's presidency.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:25 pm

I lived in fear during Trump’s entire term that he would launch a temper tantrum war.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:27 pm

I feel concern that my MAGA-hat wearing neighbors will one day carry out their threats to hang anyone who did not vote for Trump.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trump has always been seen as being a "loose cannon"----the Pentagon brass was decidedly against Trump's presidency.

Nobody in the Deep State wanted Trump because he campaigned on an anti-war platform. They didn't think he would support the MIC as vigorously as past presidents like Obama, Bush, and Clinton.

I take Milley's comments with a huge grain of salt, given he has served the war machine very well, and will probably go on to line his pockets working for a defense contractor after he retires. He needs to distance himself from Trump.

Trump is a doughebag, but I'd have to read the general's book and follow the citations to make up my mind on this.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
I feel concern that my MAGA-hat wearing neighbors will one day carry out their threats to hang anyone who did not vote for Trump.

Same here. And my own brother is a Trump supporter who believes his lies and I often find myself lying and pretending to agree with his views every time he brings up Trump or Biden because that's the only way I know how to keep the peace between us.

If any other Trumpist were to try and lynch me I would not go down without a fight, but if it were my own brother... I don't know what i would do. It's a scary thought. :|

♤ The Military

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:46 pm

He called China, and told them he would warn them of any impending attack.

Isn't that treason?

He's saying he's going to reveal US battle plans to an enemy.

That puts US soldiers in danger.

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:48 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
He called China, and told them he would warn them of any impending attack.  Isn't that treason?  He's saying he's going to reveal US battle plans to an enemy.  That puts US soldiers in danger.
How do you feel about Julian Assange?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
He called China, and told them he would warn them of any impending attack.  Isn't that treason?  He's saying he's going to reveal US battle plans to an enemy.  That puts US soldiers in danger.

off-topic. not someone I follow.

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:56 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
off-topic. not someone I follow.
Aww ... c'mon ... tell us how you believe that General Milley is just as big a traitor as Julian Assange ...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Aww ... c'mon ... tell us how you believe that General Milley is just as big a traitor as Julian Assange ...

Assange was never a US citizen, and thus cannot be a traitor.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[color=black]Aww ... busted on a technicality!

Seriously, how can any reasonable person consider General Milley to be a criminal, and not Julian Assange (or vice-versa)?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[color=black]Aww ... busted on a technicality!

Seriously, how can any reasonable person consider General Milley to be a criminal, and not Julian Assange (or vice-versa)?

You used the term "traitor." It's not a technicality, it's a term that cannot be applied to Julian Assange.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... busted on a technicality!  Seriously, how can any reasonable person consider General Milley to be a criminal, and not Julian Assange (or vice-versa)?
You used the term "traitor." It's not a technicality, it's a term that cannot be applied to Julian Assange.
Again ... General Milley or Julian Assange ... both criminals, or neither?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aww ... busted on a technicality!  Seriously, how can any reasonable person consider General Milley to be a criminal, and not Julian Assange (or vice-versa)?
Again ... General Milley or Julian Assange ... both criminals, or neither?

Neither if they both acted on what they believed was morally correct.

Oscar Meyer Lansky