Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Trump was the only president in recent history that didn't get us tangled up in another senseless war. General Milley committed treason.

These other Presidents lit fires. Trump “played with fire”. On the surface lit fires are worse then potential ones. Wars with the Taliban, Saddam etc are much less “fire” then
potential “fires” with North Korea or China could have been. Who was engaging in riskier behavior is a judgment call based on a hypothetical.

Trump took America out of the Syrian War, avoided a showdown with Iran, prepared to leave Afghanistan, literally shook hands with the North Korean Leader.
Yes, these are the signs of a warmonger. [humorous sarcasm] :mrgreen:

People's hatred of Trump perverts their sense of reality.
I.E.
Emotionalism bad.
Rationalism good. :thumright:

Never worried about him being a warmonger. I worried about impulsiveness.

Thankfully, your concerns were not warranted. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 3:13 am

Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Trump was the only president in recent history that didn't get us tangled up in another senseless war. General Milley committed treason.

These other Presidents lit fires. Trump “played with fire”. On the surface lit fires are worse then potential ones. Wars with the Taliban, Saddam etc are much less “fire” then
potential “fires” with North Korea or China could have been. Who was engaging in riskier behavior is a judgment call based on a hypothetical.

Trump took America out of the Syrian War, avoided a showdown with Iran, prepared to leave Afghanistan, literally shook hands with the North Korean Leader.

I.E.
Emotionalism bad.

My concerns were warranted but played out differently then I predicted. There was no temper tantrum war, no barricading himself in the White House, but “mostly peaceful protesters” who got within several dozen or hundred feet of the Vice President and Congress people. So yeah my concerns more than warranted. You can argue he did not expect his supporters to do that when he asked them to march on the capital. Considering plenty of Stop the Steal protests ended in violence that was not thinking it was acting impulsively.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 3:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I.E.
Emotionalism bad.

My concerns were warranted but played out differently then I predicted. There was no temper tantrum war, no barricading himself in the White House, but “mostly peaceful protesters” who got within several dozen or hundred feet of the Vice President and Congress people. So yeah my concerns more than warranted. You can argue he did not expect his supporters to do that when he asked them to march on the capital. Considering plenty of Stop the Steal protests ended in violence that was not thinking it was acting impulsively.

Q: May I remind you that our original context was a war situation?
A: Yes I may. :mrgreen:

Your fears of a war, as a result of Trump's indiscretion, was validly unwarranted because it didn't happen and there was no evidence to suggest it was going to, especially in hindsight. 8)

At the time of Trumps general shuffling, it was obvious to me at least, it was a matter of trying to maintain his legacy, rather than preparation for an intended war (or coup).
But, yes, this can be considered a grey area to others who lack superior skunk thinking abilities. :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:05 pm

Office of Trump's defense secretary held call with China on January 6, two days before Milley's controversial call.

A deputy to then-President Donald Trump's acting secretary of defense held a call with his Chinese counterpart two days before the now-controversial call by Gen. Mark Milley, undercutting criticism that the Joint Chiefs chairman was out of line.

There were 15 people on both video conference calls Milley held with his Chinese counterpart, one on October 30 and another on January 8 -- including a representative from the State Department -- yet Gen. Milley is the ONLY person being accused of wrong-doing, and the people making the accusations are firmly pitched in the Trump camp.

Effing hypocrites!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 18 Sep 2021, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:20 pm

In truth, we have yet to see what negative fall out may happen from the hasty Syria exit. Just because we’ve escaped immediate consequences from a seemingly impulsive action does not guarantee there won’t be any in the future.

Still, I am happy if time confirms I was totally wrong on the impulsive war fear. Being wring can be good.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 10:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Office of Trump's defense secretary held call with China on January 6, two days before Milley's controversial call.

A deputy to then-President Donald Trump's acting secretary of defense held a call with his Chinese counterpart two days before the now-controversial call by Gen. Mark Milley, undercutting criticism that the Joint Chiefs chairman was out of line.

There were 15 people on both video conference calls Milley held with his Chinese counterpart, one on October 30 and another on January 8 -- including a representative from the State Department -- yet Gen. Milley is the ONLY person being accused of wrong-doing, and the people making the accusations are firmly pitched in the Trump camp.

Effing hypocrites!

Let us burn the bastardo, just to be on the safe side. :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 9:35 am

And now we get the backpeddling:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The top U.S. military officer told Congress Tuesday that he knew former President Donald Trump wasn’t planning to attack China and it was his job to reassure the Chinese of that fact in phone calls that have triggered outrage from some lawmakers.

Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, delivered a full-throated defense of two calls he made to his Chinese counterpart, saying he was responding to “concerning intelligence” that China was worried about a U.S. attack.

“I know, I am certain, that President Trump did not intend to attack the Chinese and it was my directed responsibility to convey presidential orders and intent,” Milley told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday. “My task at that time was to de-escalate. My message again was consistent: stay calm, steady, and deescalate. We are not going to attack you.”

Source: https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-business-china-arts-and-entertainment-army-74ad214fdfbf0f8422a762e8f6657862