Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:07 pm

California Gov. Gavin Newsom beats back GOP-led recall

Quote:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday emphatically defeated a recall aimed at kicking him out of office early, a contest the Democrat framed as part of a national battle for his party’s values in the face of the coronavirus pandemic and continued threats from “Trumpism.”

Newsom bolted to a quick victory boosted by healthy turnout in the overwhelmingly Democratic state. He cast it as a win for his handling of the pandemic and liberal issues, and it ensures the nation’s most populous state will remain in Democratic control as a laboratory for progressive policies.

With an estimated two-thirds of ballots counted, “no” on the question of whether to recall Newsom was ahead by a 30-point margin. That lead was built on votes cast by mail and in advance of Tuesday’s in-person balloting, with a strong showing by Democrats. While likely to shrink somewhat in the days ahead as votes cast at polling places are counted, Newsom’s lead couldn’t be overcome.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm

Good!

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:54 pm

Former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer was once considered Republicans' best hope at winning statewide, given his moderate positions -- he supports abortion rights, same-sex marriage, and a path to citizenship -- but he was unable to gain traction even in this underwhelming field.  A distant third among Republican contenders was business executive John Cox, who had resorted to stunt-campaigning with a 1000-pound Kodiak bear.  What comes next for the scraping-rock-bottom California Republican Party?  Simple: Adapt or die.  And maybe hop a plane to Boston to see how Republican candidates can win despite a deep-blue landscape.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
Former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer was once considered Republicans' best hope at winning statewide, given his moderate positions -- he supports abortion rights, same-sex marriage, and a path to citizenship -- but he was unable to gain traction even in this underwhelming field.  A distant third among Republican contenders was business executive John Cox, who had resorted to stunt-campaigning with a 1000-pound Kodiak bear.  What comes next for the scraping-rock-bottom California Republican Party?  Simple: Adapt or die.  And maybe hop a plane to Boston to see how Republican candidates can win despite a deep-blue landscape.

Any pointers on how Texas and Florida Democrats can win?

It does baffle me how California Republicans think Larry Elder would be better than Kevin Faulconer against Newsom.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Any pointers on how Texas and Florida Democrats can win? ...
They can move to California.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:08 pm

A combination of racists and people who do not like misogynistic homophobic candidates is how you get a coalition who overwhelmingly votes to keep the “status quo” of a governor who is presiding over a state with increasing third world problems.

Tim_Tex wrote:
?
It does baffle me how California Republicans think Larry Elder would be better than Kevin Faulconer against Newsom.

I not baffled, this is what MAGA cults do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 15 Sep 2021, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A combination of racists and people who do not like misogynistic homophobic candidates is how you get a coalition who overwhelmingly votes to keep the “status quo” of a governor who is presiding over a state with increasing third world problems.

This whole country has been described as being a "Third World Country Wrapped in a Gucci Belt"

As a nation America is like those impoverished people who can't afford to pay their bills because they would rather go shopping for junk they don't need to feel good about themselves.

♤ The Military