Minneapolis cop’s murder conviction changed to manslaughter

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:16 pm

Minnesota court vacates ex-cop Mohamed Noor's 3rd-degree murder conviction

Quote:
Minnesota's highest court on Wednesday vacated former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor's third-degree murder conviction for the fatal shooting of Justine Ruszczyk while responding to her 911.

The court said there was insufficient evidence to sustain the conviction and ordered that he be sentenced on his conviction for second-degree manslaughter.

The 33-year-old Somali American was convicted in April of that year on charges of third-degree murder and manslaughter in the 2017 death of Ruszczyk, who had relocated from her native Australia to Minneapolis to live with her fiancé.

Prosecutors said Noor was sitting in the passenger seat, pulled out his gun and shot across the vehicle to hit Ruszczyk, who was outside the driver's side door.
Noor testified that his partner's terrified expression and the sight of Ruszczyk with her hand raised jolted him into action. Although he did not see a gun in the woman's hand, he feared his partner might be shot as she began to raise her hand, he said.
Ruszczyk's death drew widespread attention, in the United States and in her native Australia.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm

Errr... a cop shot dead a woman who called him?
It might have been more of a manslaughter than murder but first of all it's something deadly wrong with the system.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:59 pm

magz wrote:
Errr... a cop shot dead a woman who called him?
It might have been more of a manslaughter than murder but first of all it's something deadly wrong with the system.

The other officer in the car was lucky not to be shot, as he fired from the passenger seat to the driver-side window.

Be the hero of your life.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 2:03 pm

I shared the story with my husband and his comment was: such things happen on wars, not in regular cities.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

magz wrote:
… but first of all it's something deadly wrong with the system.

After the Floyd murder, I did a ton of reading. Yes, something is deadly wrong with the system. Multiple former police officers have been trying to get people to listen for a long time. If their theories are correct, policies that are designed to protect officers are actually at the core of many issues, and the policies aren’t just hurting the public, but also the officers they are meant to protect. There is a whole lot of “the law of unintended consequences” at play.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:09 pm

Bottom line: officers should not be trained to fire at something or someone that has a "shiny metal object."

Too many times, it turns out that the cop saw the "shiny metal object," and decided it was a gun.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 11:55 pm

An explanation of the decision from a lawyer in that state (designed for non-lawyers):

Or a slightly more technical look at the decision with regards to the case:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:04 am

Well, makes me less likely to call the cops in a situation where they could potentially help, they may still shoot you dead.

And then still not be charged with the actual crime of shooting to death someone they didn't need to shoot in the first place.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well, makes me less likely to call the cops in a situation where they could potentially help, they may still shoot you dead.

And then still not be charged with the actual crime of shooting to death someone they didn't need to shoot in the first place.

He was also charged with (and found guilty of) manslaughter, along with murder - It was only the murder charge that was dismissed.