Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
https://www.ranker.com/list/zeus-messed-up-things-greek-god/jacob-shelton

I think my two favorites are the myths that he created the first woman (Pandora) for the sole purpose to unleash all the suffering and evil on mankind (lol nothing misogynistic at all about that!) And he later tried to destroy the entire human race for being so wicked and evil by flooding the world yet he spared two people who were tasked with repopulating the world (hmm why does that story sound so familiar?)

I guess the ultimate irony here is that when Zeus drowns the world he's such a bad and evil God by our modern standards, yet it was all good when the God of Abraham did the same thing? Right? :mrgreen:

there's similar flood stories all over the world. Anthropologists entertain the theory they are very, very, old. 8000 years, likely. From when the last Ice age ended and the sea-levels rose rapidly, flooding the settlements on the Beringia landbridge, for example, which would be an explanation for the north american flood stories.
The one in the bible sounds awfully similar to the one in tge Epic of Gilgamesh.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 3:44 pm

Similarties in myths could be due to the structure of the human mind. Thats what Carl Jung hypothesized. Or due borrowing, and diffusion. And some could be remnants of actual memories of events. Flood myths might in part be memories of the drastic changes in sea levels that occurred around ten thousand BC at the end of the ice age.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 6:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Gods have, historically, been the leading cause of death.

In the Bible God killed more folks then did Satan.

And when Satan killed folks it was usually on orders from God.

Satan and God made a bet. Satan said if I mess with Job he will stop believing in you. God said "you're on" and approved. So Satan killed Job's wife, and all of his children, and servants, etc. Maybe a dozen or so people.

Thats it. Satan's entire body count. Like a dozen or so.

Was Satan even the bad guy in that story? It seems like Satan was acting as God's servent. He tested people for God.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 6:14 pm

shlaifu wrote:
there's similar flood stories all over the world. Anthropologists entertain the theory they are very, very, old. 8000 years, likely. From when the last Ice age ended and the sea-levels rose rapidly, flooding the settlements on the Beringia landbridge, for example, which would be an explanation for the north american flood stories.
The one in the bible sounds awfully similar to the one in tge Epic of Gilgamesh.

Or it could have been a river flood from more recent times. Lots of places all over the world have rivers that flood. Especially before modern flood control measures existed.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:44 am

King0fSpades wrote:
https://www.ranker.com/list/zeus-messed-up-things-greek-god/jacob-shelton

I think my two favorites are the myths that he created the first woman (Pandora) for the sole purpose to unleash all the suffering and evil on mankind (lol nothing misogynistic at all about that!) And he later tried to destroy the entire human race for being so wicked and evil by flooding the world yet he spared two people who were tasked with repopulating the world (hmm why does that story sound so familiar?)

I guess the ultimate irony here is that when Zeus drowns the world he's such a bad and evil God by our modern standards, yet it was all good when the God of Abraham did the same thing? Right? :mrgreen:

If we look at good and evil as objective, then there can be no difference between Zeus and God’s actions. In Greek myth, the gods are sovereign, humans are their pets, and we live only by the whims of the gods. Those whims are often in conflict. One god cannot have preferential treatment without another god being offended. I’m not familiar with a Zeus flood, but as to whether it is objectively good goes back to Zeus’ sovereignty as a god: Who are you, HUMAN, to question Zeus? The only thing left for you to do is not debate whether the god was right, because the god IS right, but rather come to reasonable conclusions about what justifies those actions.

With God in the Christian context it is the same. The difference is there is only ONE God, thus no room for divine conflict. Supernatural conflicts are the result of spiritual beings created by God experiencing conflict among themselves—those loyal to God and those rebelling against God. So humans have the choice to live in truth or live in deception, and in order to be saved from that conflict humans need only appeal to God directly.

The idea that supernatural beings exist in conflict with their creator, things like a global flood, the relative insignificance of man next to God are a bit of a common tradition between Greek myth and Christianity. It could be that they share a common origin with Adam’s pre-flood descendants and were retold with varying levels of accuracy or detail. Maybe they are all correct when taken together. Maybe Greek myths are allegorical or rather describe how things APPEARED to happen. The Bible is silent on this issue except to point out the significance of the Nephilim. It’s barely a footnote, but it supports the idea that sin was too pervasive to allow the world to continue to exist as it did at the time.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 12:47 pm

Being part of the Hercules series was possibly the worst thing I'd say.