Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:29 pm

https://www.ranker.com/list/zeus-messed ... ob-shelton

I think my two favorites are the myths that he created the first woman (Pandora) for the sole purpose to unleash all the suffering and evil on mankind (lol nothing misogynistic at all about that!) And he later tried to destroy the entire human race for being so wicked and evil by flooding the world yet he spared two people who were tasked with repopulating the world (hmm why does that story sound so familiar?)

I guess the ultimate irony here is that when Zeus drowns the world he's such a bad and evil God by our modern standards, yet it was all good when the God of Abraham did the same thing? Right? :mrgreen:

♤ The Military

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:33 pm

Gods have, historically, been the leading cause of death.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm

I'm glad Kratos killed him and the rest of the Olympian gods. They were becoming too corrupt for their own good.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:39 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

Or fates worst than death. :twisted:

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:45 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I'm glad Kratos killed him and the rest of the Olympian gods. They were becoming too corrupt for their own good.

There was a video I once watched of a Native American Shaman saying "Nature has no mercy, only laws."

The same can be applied to all gods in our world. They are all nature itself which is why they appear to be both cruel and beautiful at times.

But if one doesn't obey nature's laws, they get eaten, flooded, burned, froze to death, or they die of illness or starvation.

♤ The Military

Last edited by King0fSpades on 15 Sep 2021, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:39 pm

Which is why I'm glad I don't believe in God or gods 8)

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Which is why I'm glad I don't believe in God or gods 8)

What about the concept of nature being both beautiful and savage? Oh and climate change? :flower:

♤ The Military

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 3:57 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
https://www.ranker.com/list/zeus-messed-up-things-greek-god/jacob-shelton

I think my two favorites are the myths that he created the first woman (Pandora) for the sole purpose to unleash all the suffering and evil on mankind (lol nothing misogynistic at all about that!) And he later tried to destroy the entire human race for being so wicked and evil by flooding the world yet he spared two people who were tasked with repopulating the world (hmm why does that story sound so familiar?)

I guess the ultimate irony here is that when Zeus drowns the world he's such a bad and evil God by our modern standards, yet it was all good when the God of Abraham did the same thing? Right? :mrgreen:

Well... you point out TWO similarities between Zeus and Jehovah.

Both drowned the world in a flood.

And both created woman..., and did so in order to stir up trouble ( Pandora and her box, is analogous to Eve and her apple).

Funny how similar motifs (or "memes" as hipsters call them now) crop up in the ancient mythologies of different cultures...seemingly independently.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:02 pm

Of course, Nature is both beautiful and savage; but both, to me, have nothing to do with a supreme deity.

Yep....climate change....all too obvious.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
https://www.ranker.com/list/zeus-messed-up-things-greek-god/jacob-shelton

Well... you point out TWO similarities between Zeus and Jehovah.

Both drowned the world in a flood.

And both created woman..., and did so in order to stir up trouble ( Pandora and her box, is analogous to Eve and her apple).

Funny how similar motifs (or "memes" as hipsters call them now) crop up in the ancient mythologies of different cultures...seemingly independently.

My sister once explained to me that the word for it is "comparative mythologies". Many cultures around the world evolve over time to believe in very similar things. For example the fact that both Europe and Asia believe in dragons, and the idea of ghosts and spirits is concept that exists in every culture.

Some of it is a result of Religious and Cultural Syncretism when other cultures blend ideas together, but some of it is simply because human brains evolve over time to believe in very similar things no matter which part of the world you are in. :)

♤ The Military

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course, Nature is both beautiful and savage; but both, to me, have nothing to do with a supreme deity.

Yep....climate change....all too obvious.

I just think it's interesting that ancient deities were always connected to some aspect of nature or human thought itself. 8)

♤ The Military

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:29 pm

The promulgation of mythology is one example of Man trying to make sense of the natural world. Or wanting to create an allegory based upon natural phenomena.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The promulgation of mythology is one example of Man trying to make sense of the natural world. Or wanting to create an allegory based upon natural phenomena.

And without these things I feel like the world is so much less interesting. :nerdy:

♤ The Military

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm

I can see why this would be so.

I'm sort of a fuddy-duddy, though. I'm pretty much a literalist----even though I was a poet in the past.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can see why this would be so.

I'm sort of a fuddy-duddy, though. I'm pretty much a literalist----even though I was a poet in the past.

I think I have the imagination but lack the artistic talent for writing stuff unfortunately. :study:

♤ The Military

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

In the Bible God killed more folks then did Satan.

And when Satan killed folks it was usually on orders from God.

Satan and God made a bet. Satan said if I mess with Job he will stop believing in you. God said "you're on" and approved. So Satan killed Job's wife, and all of his children, and servants, etc. Maybe a dozen or so people.

Thats it. Satan's entire body count. Like a dozen or so.

God drowned the whole human race except for six people in Noah's flood (about 1700 years after Creation- there were presumably millions of people by that time). Later there were other mass murders. Drowning the Pharoah and his whole army. Ordering Ezikial to commit genocide against the Canaanites. And smaller acts of murder.

So God's body count goes into the millions upon millions.

And thats not counting the "planned obsolescence" of all humans after the fall. He made us all mortal after kicking us all out of the Garden of Eden. So in a sense ALL humans who ever lived, and will ever live, are God's "murder victims" . But even if you dont count "being built to be mortal" its still a body count in the millions.