Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 6:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Juliette wrote:
China Fires Back with “No Mercy”:
https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-09-16/china-fires-back-at-aukus-alliance-with-violent-rhetoric-australian-troops-would-be-the-first-to-die

Charming … “China on Thursday expressed outrage at a new security pact between Australia, the U.K. and the U.S., blasting what it considers a new Western provocation and singling out Australian troops as the first to die as a result of "Beijing's countermeasures so as to send a warning to others."

“Canberra will most likely become a target of Beijing's countermeasures so as to send a warning to others," the Global Times wrote. "Thus, Australian troops are also most likely to be the first batch of Western soldiers to waste their lives in the South China Sea."

Bunch of crybabies. We already have "ANZUS" (the US, Australian, NewZealand, alliance). And back in the cold war we had SEATO (South East Asian Treaty Organization...like NATO) which was much bigger than this new alliance. So its not something very radical that we English speaking countries are doing. Just going back to the past.

You are an Australian? 8O
How did I miss that all these years?
Maybe I forgot.

New Zealand hides behind Australia's military skirts and doesn't pull its weight.
There is no NZ in ANZUS, any longer.

I hope they realise that if China takes over Australia, NZ won't last 2 seconds after that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 3:55 am

:lol:

No. Im an American.

But I am a lifelong geography geek. And was in junior high geography classes during the Cold war and Vietnam war eras in circa 1970. Leaned all of those acronyms for our alliances against the old Soviet Union around the World. NATO is still extant and important. I also grew up in the suburbs of DC where my parents had State Dept. Neighbors.

When I was in eighth grade I knew populations of countries in my head. Back then Canada had almost exactly only ten percent of the US population size. And Australia had only half of Canada's population size (one 20th of ours). Yet all three countries are roughly the same size. Even in eighth grade I used to think about how (a) it must be cool living in a country like Australia that is essentially one big enormous national park the size of the contiguous US , but (b) its gonna be hard to DEFEND the place in the future when Australia's crowded neighbors to the north (like India, and China) start to flex their muscles.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 12:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Absolutely! Australia has nothing to fear, that is, unless the US is to fall in the next 20-30 years … perish the thought!

I will be dead by then.
I suspect I won't care what happens after that. :mrgreen:

Ditto, though Pepe shall live on forever! :P

Hasn’t this war of words escalated quickly with France and China threatening this and that!

Naturalplastic - I share your longtime interest in Geography. Those alliance terms were mostly talked about in Modern History in Aus Secondary School classes. Interesting times you were growing up in! Did you also have Mapping as part of your education?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 1:39 pm

Pepe wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Absolutely! Australia has nothing to fear, that is, unless the US is to fall in the next 20-30 years … perish the thought!

I will be dead by then.

I'd bet on 10-20 years.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 1:40 pm

Juliette wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Juliette wrote:

I will be dead by then.

Hasn’t this war of words escalated quickly with France and China threatening this and that!

Naturalplastic - I share your longtime interest in Geography. Those alliance terms were mostly talked about in Modern History in Aus Secondary School classes. Interesting times you were growing up in! Did you also have Mapping as part of your education?

Not sure what you mean by "mapping". I considered majoring in map making in college, but didnt. But in middle school you did have to id countries on maps. But that was easy for me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 10:26 pm

Juliette wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Juliette wrote:

I will be dead by then.

I'm not sure about that.
The cancel culture has seriously ripped into Pepe le Pew already. 8O

Juliette wrote:

I agree with the assessment that the French reaction, by pulling out its ambassadors, is more for domestic consumption.

I am confident that things will settle down sooner rather than later. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 9:27 am

Misslizard wrote:
If the French had been invited we would have FAUKUS.Which might be mispronounced…

Oddly enough the French are at least as upset about this as are the Chinese. If not more so. Because the new alliance caused Australia to drop its deal to buy subs from France.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 6:56 pm

One thing I had wondered was, if Australia wanted nuclear submarines, why not just buy a French design? The original subs Australia were going to purchase were themselves based on a French nuclear sub design (the Barracuda-class submarine). Couldn't the original order simply have been upgraded?

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 8:01 pm

Murihiku wrote:
One thing I had wondered was, if Australia wanted nuclear submarines, why not just buy a French design? The original subs Australia were going to purchase were themselves based on a French nuclear sub design (the Barracuda-class submarine). Couldn't the original order simply have been upgraded?

Pure and simple, and in one word: The Labour Party and The Greens.
Well, maybe more than one. :mrgreen:

The French sub's reactor needs maintenance every 10 years.
Apparently, this meant a nuclear industry in Australia (I'm not convinced of this, btw).

The Labor Party and the Greens have this childish objection to anything nuclear, despite an overwhelmingly safe history.
And Australia is probably the safest, most stable continent on earth.
Also, modular nuclear reactors have nothing in common with U.S.S.R.'s questionable technology.
The left is living in the past, man. 8O

These new subs have a reactor that will last the life of das boot.
30 years, I have heard.

The French submarines were the result of a political stuff up.
I.E. the usual when politicians get involved.

The French didn't honour the original deal in terms of the number of *Australian* workers involved, and the cost of the whole program blew up by over 40 b,b,b,billiion.
I.E. The usual. :mrgreen:

I believe Australian material content was also reneged on, but don't quote me of this.

And on top of this, there were exit clauses in the contract, which everyone was aware of.
It will cost up to 500 million to get out, after Australia has already paid about 2.5 b,b,b,billion so far.

And the hilarious complaint that the French weren't involved before the AUKUS deal was made, is self-explanatorily stupid.
I can explain it to you if you wish. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Prime Minister defends Australia's decision to pull out of France submarine deal after French condemn AUKUS

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... rallPos=13

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:58 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Our "president" works for China.
... and Trump ... and ISIS ... and the Pope ... and the Gnomes of Zurich ... and the Mermaids of Atlantis ... For whom does he NOT work?  Mr. Reynholm, of course!
Biden doesn't work for American citizens.
Like I said, not for you; he is, after all, a left-leaning liberal and a well-educated lawyer.

And suffering from full blown dementia.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:17 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Our "president" works for China.
... and Trump ... and ISIS ... and the Pope ... and the Gnomes of Zurich ... and the Mermaids of Atlantis ... For whom does he NOT work?  Mr. Reynholm, of course!
Biden doesn't work for American citizens.
Like I said, not for you; he is, after all, a left-leaning liberal and a well-educated lawyer.

And suffering from full blown dementia.

Not when it comes to selling nuclear submarines to Australia. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 5:23 am

Quote:
The Australian’s Robert Gottliebsen says Australia is “in a terrible lot of trouble” with the $90 billion “con-job” submarine program.

“The French sent out here a whole series of negotiators – led by a very skilled female negotiator – and they sold us a deal that would have the ships here earlier, it would have Australian content,” he told Sky News host Andrew Bolt.

“But as soon as we signed it, as soon as we said yes, they said ‘oh that’s not the deal at all, we’ve got a totally different deal for you, we’re going to do the lot and it’s going to cost you a lot more money’.

“It’s not going to cost $90 billion, it’s going to cost $120-150 billion … it is a nonsense and it has to stop.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

Why is anybody starting alliances with us? We have proven we will abandon you when the going gets tough.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 3:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why is anybody starting alliances with us? We have proven we will abandon you when the going gets tough.

We are getting technology involving nuclear subs, anti-cyber warfare, and other AI.
I will be happy with that, as a start.

There is also a plan to lease nuclear subs from America and/or the UK.
Sounds like a plan. 8)
I am getting a little wet in my panties, over this. 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern ‘needs to wake up to herself’

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/jaci ... c5aac309f3