Possible indictment over Russian collusion

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Quote:
WASHINGTON — John H. Durham, the special counsel appointed by the Trump administration to scrutinize the Russia investigation, has told the Justice Department that he will ask a grand jury to indict a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on a charge of making a false statement to the F.B.I., people familiar with the matter said.

Any indictment of the lawyer — Michael Sussmann, a former federal prosecutor and now a partner at the Perkins Coie law firm, and who represented the Democratic National Committee on issues related to Russia’s 2016 hacking of its servers — is likely to attract significant political attention.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/us/politics/durham-michael-sussmann-trump-russia.html

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:08 pm

Quote:
A federal grand jury has indicted cybersecurity lawyer Michael Sussmann as part of a special counsel's probe into the origins of the Trump-Russia investigation, alleging he lied to the FBI general counsel.

The indictment comes as special counsel John Durham is nearing the conclusion of his more than two-year-long probe and faced a looming deadline on whether to seek charges over the handling of evidence used in the probe, according to people briefed on the matter.

According to the indictment, Sussmann -- a prominent cybersecurity lawyer whose law firm Perkins Coie worked for Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign -- lied at a September 2016 meeting with then-FBI General Counsel James Baker in which Sussmann shared information about possible connections between the Trump Organization and a Russian bank.

Sussmann told Baker he wasn't working on behalf of any client, yet prosecutors allege he was representing the Clinton campaign as well as a tech industry professional to provide the server data, according to the indictment.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/16/politics/john-durham-probe-nears-end-trump-russia/index.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm

May the Truth prevail. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:54 pm

A copy of the 27 page Indictment is viewable at https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/u-s-v-michael-sussman-indictment/ae5ef5ba-6576-4190-a340-9cc854d08f23/, for those interested.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:15 pm

Brictoria wrote:

And you are telling this dyslexic, why? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Consider it as having been a general announcement - Letting those who have previously shown great interest in the Russian Collusion story (or demonstrated apparent enjoyment\pleasure when talking about it) know that investigations are still underway into the issue, and that at least one of those involved in the collusion issue will be facing trial for their actions regarding it.

I've only skimmed over the indictment, but it does appear interesting, outlining more details about what occurred. I may extract some "highlights" (or previously unknown details) if I get a chance later...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 3:49 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Consider it as having been a general announcement - Letting those who have previously shown great interest in the Russian Collusion story (or demonstrated apparent enjoyment\pleasure when talking about it) know that investigations are still underway into the issue, and that at least one of those involved in the collusion issue will be facing trial for their actions regarding it.

I've only skimmed over the indictment, but it does appear interesting, outlining more details about what occurred. I may extract some "highlights" (or previously unknown details) if I get a chance later...

It would be appreciated. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 4:38 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Given the PDF is scanned, not OCR, I'll need to type (in summary form, not necessarily word for word) instead of copy\paste.

A taste of what was included - covering the basis for the "Russian collusion" claims...
(First 7 paragraphs covered "introduction and Overview")
Paragraphs 1 and 2:
Quote:
Outlines the media reports about a "Mysterious computer back channel between the Trump Organisation and [Russian Bank-1]", along with how it was investigated by the FBI "spending weeks examining computer data showing an odd stream of activity to a Trump Organisation server", and that logs showed "that two servers at [Russian Bank-1] sent more than 2,700 'look up' messages...to a Trump-connected server".

Paragraph 3:
Quote:
FBI initiated an investigation of this in responce to meeting with the person now indicted, based on evidence supplied by this person.

Paragraphs 4-6:
Quote:
Explain how the person now indicted worked on behalf of the Clinton campaign, along with "a U.S. technology industry executive at a U.S. Internet company", but failed to disclose this (explanation behind this claim is covered in later sections). Had this information been disclosed, the FBI would have investigated the origin of the information more, rather than focus almost entirely on the information itself - If this had happened, they may have discovered at that time that i) [Tech executive-1] had exploited access to non-public data from multiple Internet companies, ii) had enlisted researchers at a U.S. university who had access to Internet data related to a federal government cybersecurity contract, and iii) they were co-ordinating with the Clinton campaign.

Paragraph 7:
Quote:
The FBI's investigation concluded there was insufficient evidence to support allegations of a secret communications channel with [Russian Bank-1], in particular because the server at issue was not owned or operated by the Trump Organisation, but was instead administered by a mass marketing email company which sent advertisments for Trump hotels and hundreds of other clients.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 6:04 am

It would be interesting to dig through those pages on my own, but I can’t in the near future. This is a twist I wasn’t exactly expecting, but I’m also not surprised.

Time eventually tells the story.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 6:45 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Given the PDF is scanned, not OCR, I'll need to type (in summary form, not necessarily word for word) instead of copy\paste.

A taste of what was included - covering the basis for the "Russian collusion" claims...
(First 7 paragraphs covered "introduction and Overview")
Paragraphs 1 and 2:
Quote:
Outlines the media reports about a "Mysterious computer back channel between the Trump Organisation and [Russian Bank-1]", along with how it was investigated by the FBI "spending weeks examining computer data showing an odd stream of activity to a Trump Organisation server", and that logs showed "that two servers at [Russian Bank-1] sent more than 2,700 'look up' messages...to a Trump-connected server".

Paragraph 3:
Quote:
FBI initiated an investigation of this in responce to meeting with the person now indicted, based on evidence supplied by this person.

Paragraphs 4-6:
Quote:
Explain how the person now indicted worked on behalf of the Clinton campaign, along with "a U.S. technology industry executive at a U.S. Internet company", but failed to disclose this (explanation behind this claim is covered in later sections). Had this information been disclosed, the FBI would have investigated the origin of the information more, rather than focus almost entirely on the information itself - If this had happened, they may have discovered at that time that i) [Tech executive-1] had exploited access to non-public data from multiple Internet companies, ii) had enlisted researchers at a U.S. university who had access to Internet data related to a federal government cybersecurity contract, and iii) they were co-ordinating with the Clinton campaign.

Paragraph 7:
Quote:
The FBI's investigation concluded there was insufficient evidence to support allegations of a secret communications channel with [Russian Bank-1], in particular because the server at issue was not owned or operated by the Trump Organisation, but was instead administered by a mass marketing email company which sent advertisments for Trump hotels and hundreds of other clients.

The plot thsickens. 8O

BTW, could you wipe my runny nose for me? :mrgreen:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 6:49 am

2 questions:

1.) Could somebody provide a one paragraph executive summary of this case and explain how it raises suspicions regarding larger issues?
2.) Why is it that anytime anybody says anything remotely insinuating that Russians MIGHT have done something inimical to US interests, a crowd of presumed Russophiles piles on and cries "foul"? Whereas should anybody say anything even remotely positive about China they are ostracized?

BTW as someone who voted straight ticket Democrat the last US election, I have no trouble saying that Hillary Clinton has probably done things for which she should, in an ideal world, be serving time in Federal prison. But that is true of thousands of other people who are running around scot free. I just don't have any reason to obsess over her. If you can find a way to bring her to justice, good on you. But I don't have a dog in that race.

In summary, this lawyer is probably crooked but anybody who sees a connection to some larger conspiracy is probably connecting some imaginary dots.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm

We need to get to the bottom of the entire Russia Hoax but it probably leads somewhere that the prosecutors cannot go.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 2:52 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
We need to get to the bottom of the entire Russia Hoax but it probably leads somewhere that the prosecutors cannot go.

There have been dozens of indictments related to Russian interference in our elections yet you still call it a hoax?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 3:01 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

There have been dozens of indictments related to Russian interference in our elections yet you still call it a hoax?

None of the indictments had anything to do with collusion between Trump and Russia. It still remains an evidence-free conspiracy theory.

The whole thing was a massive smoke screen to deflect attention away from the real reasons Trump was elected.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

None of the indictments had anything to do with collusion between Trump and Russia. It still remains an evidence-free conspiracy theory.

The whole thing was a massive smoke screen to deflect attention away from the real reasons Trump was elected.

It doesn’t have to touch Trump to be real and substantive. How anyone can believe REAL EVIDENCE that a foreign power has been trying to influence our elections was only a smoke screen is beyond me. You should care about this. We all should.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

It doesn’t have to touch Trump to be real and substantive. How anyone can believe REAL EVIDENCE that a foreign power has been trying to influence our elections was only a smoke screen is beyond me. You should care about this. We all should.

I care more about the political system that made it possible for a right-wing demagogue to rise to power. There is still zero evidence that Russia had any real effect on our election. Zero! It's all just conjecture.

Oscar Meyer Lansky