Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:20 pm

If someone has a HASS degree, but is self taught in various tech skills, and has built up a good portfolio, what would you rate their marketability for tech jobs?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:44 pm

After getting a Bachelor degree in cognitive science and Associates degree in Accounting, it seems that:. No matter how many job skills I get, someone with a better personality will always get the job. (Limiting reagent)

Some articles claim that a disproportionate number of autistics, unemployed or underemployed

Especially since 2008 recession and Coronavirus

Furthermore, some articles claim that college tuition skyrocketing, relative to corresponding income

Plenty of bachelor degree holders unemployed and underemployed

Every job my worthless corpse has ever had, no high school diploma required, much less bachelor degree

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

2.67 (out of 4.0), gpa required for teaching credential, at two closest universities to my Pigpen

2.5 (out of 4.0) gpa minimum ROTC

3.0 (out of 4) gpa, good driver's discount

Many internships at university require 3.5

2.1 gpa got me nowhere in "life", although, of course, six out of ten officially diagnosed personality disorders.

Not a representative sample.

Not a controlled experiment.

Zero job prospects

Precious lil "people" keep making my worthless corpse redundant.

Jobs I have had:

Data entry
Communication contractor
Record keeping associate
Actor
Lot attendant

Seven internships

Dead end "life"

Dead end "jobs"

Wasted too much time, money and energy on school.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
We do not need more legislation; we do not need more laws, more regulations, and more guidelines.

We need more educated people to fill the jobs for which only educated people can qualify.

What would be the problem with, say, a little more government funding for trade schools, as well as for higher education? I think that's the sort of thing kraftkortie is calling for, not new regulations.

Not everyone can excel at academics, so it's good to have alternatives requiring other kinds of skills.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 11:28 pm

Depends a bit on the culture, but where I've lived before currently there's a huge shortage of all things craftsmanny, such as

kraftiekortie wrote:
a carpenter, a roofer, an electrician, a plumber, etc.

Electricians earn more money than architects these days, and architects need at least 7 years of training to earn their licence, not to mention perfect or near-perfect grades to get into the highly competitive uni programs.

Higher education isn't the best path by default, rather it depends on your goals, needs, and abilities. It's just that it's the current "normal" so everyone is expected to go that way, and society has adapted to that accordingly, for better or worse.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:13 am

1986 wrote:
Depends a bit on the culture, but where I've lived before currently there's a huge shortage of all things craftsmanny, such as
kraftiekortie wrote:
a carpenter, a roofer, an electrician, a plumber, etc.

Electricians earn more money than architects these days, and architects need at least 7 years of training to earn their licence, not to mention perfect or near-perfect grades to get into the highly competitive uni programs.

Higher education isn't the best path by default, rather it depends on your goals, needs, and abilities. It's just that it's the current "normal" so everyone is expected to go that way, and society has adapted to that accordingly, for better or worse.

You can't really compare architect and electrician. Smart architect can grow portfolio and increase income with every new project design, license designs to developers, one successful project can provide income for the rest of his life.

Electricians are paid for their time, basically their time is the a product contractor sells.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:40 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We do not need more legislation; we do not need more laws, more regulations, and more guidelines.  We need more educated people to fill the jobs for which only educated people can qualify.
What would be the problem with, say, a little more government funding for trade schools, as well as for higher education? ...
Sure, throw more money at a problem and hope it solves itself.

What is needed is a better, more homogenous curriculum for all schools -- one that requires proficiency in maths for both boys and girls up to and including basic Algebra and Trig before graduation.

I have interviewed candidates with BSEE degrees who could not solve a simple resistance network using only addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division -- how the heck did they manage to graduate from college?

(That is a rhetorical question, by the way.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:53 am

There is a decent system in the UK, whereby people who are not "academically-inclined" could go to trade schools and that ilk, and get qualifications that carry as much weight as the qualifications for the "academically-inclined."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 4:51 pm

The only way I could have gotten a STEM degree is if they gave straight As just for showing up.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 1:50 am

Also, the housing crisis seriously needs to be addressed. There are people who want to live on the West Coast or in the Northeast, but don’t want to do a high-caliber tech job or have the aptitude to do one, but also don’t want to be homeless or live in a tent.

What do we tell them?

As for me, my only hope is to be the only person who applied to a job, and that the employer is very desperate. And for a job that pays $112,000 in Seattle, that isn’t going to happen.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
These are all entry-level positions that usually require only a high-school diploma.  Does anyone want to present a case against obtaining a college-level education?
College education can sometimes be very helpfull with employment opertunities but not everyone is capable & cut out for getting a college degree & some people with college degrees make less than people who don't. My dad dropped out of college after failing English twice & getting told by his teacher that she would never pass him. Dad was working in construction at the time so he dropped out & focused on that. He learned on the job & he is a very skilled carpentor who was making decent money most of my life till he retired a year ago, thou he'll still work a little on the side. My mom graduated college majoring in education & she was a public school teacher till she retired 10 years ago. My dad made more money than my mom did even thou mom worked more hours than him. Mom stayed late after school getting her room ready & having meetings & she brought lots of work home with her as well. I often heard how important education was when I was in school from my mom & my various teachers but I would look at my mom & wonder How come she was paid so little when she was being majorly overworked & under LOTS of stress :?: If education really is as important for employment as people loved to tell us kids How come come teachers are treated like cr@p :?: It was not the kids that made the job hell for mom either, she loved teaching them. It was everything else that she hated like the beurocrocy, & administration & parents being on her a$$ expecting her to be a miracle worker.

I never had any desire to go to college due to MAJORLY struggling with school due to Dyslexia, ADD & other various learning problems. My grades were curved in about a 3rd of my high-school classes so I would pass em with a D instead of failing them & I received various accomedations. My dad very likely has Dyslexia & ADD as well which is why he couldn't pass English in college. I tried working with him one summer when I was in high-school & I just am NOT cut out for that type of work due to my various physical disabilities. The 3 jobs I had were minimum-wage type stuff like dish-washing & custodial type stuff in retail. I was in my early 20s at the time & about half the people working at those places were a bit older than me & more than a few of them had college degrees & most of the employees were not disabled & didn't have learning issues. About half the people doing custodial stuff at one of my jobs(the one I had the longest which was 25 months) were doing skilled things like stripping & waxing floors & using various floor machines(I used some of the machines as well) & we were all getting sh!t pay for it.

I think there are other factors that can be much more important for determining decent employment than simply having a college degree. BTW didn't Bill Gates drop out of college :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
These 11 jobs are expected to shrink most by 2028:

1) Assemblers and fabricators, including team assemblers.
 2) Retail salespersons.
 3) Office clerks, general.
 4) Secretaries and administrative assistants, except legal, medical and executive.
 5) Customer service representatives.
 6) Cashiers.
 7) Inspectors, testers, sorters, samplers and weighers.
 8) Bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks.
 9) Postal service mail carriers.
10) Executive secretaries and executive administrative assistants.
11) Waiters and waitresses.

Source:
 This MLive News Article 

These are all entry-level positions that usually require only a high-school diploma.  Does anyone want to present a case against obtaining a college-level education?

I'm not all that old but I can remember when you could walk out of a job on a Friday and have a new job on a Monday. I'm talking about warehouse/production line jobs with this. Plus you were very rarely expected to have experience.

Like I say its not that long ago but these days you would struggle to get a full time warehouse job now. If there are any they are very few and far between and most of them are for zero contract hours or working for an agency on an ad hoc basis and you're expected to have at least two years experience. So the jobs are a scarcity and where there is a job you have limited chance of getting it.

It's rubbish.

Sorry I went a bit off the rails then.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2021, 4:06 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm not all that old but I can remember when you could walk out of a job on a Friday and have a new job on a Monday. I'm talking about warehouse/production line jobs with this. Plus you were very rarely expected to have experience.
Both my parents insisted that I needed a high-school diploma to find employment & when I started looking for work a year & a half after graduating high-school(I graduated in 2001 & started looking around 2003) & almost no job apps I have ever filled out mentioned anything about high-school diploma or GED. There were sections asking about college, trade school, & certifications & special licenses for part-time minimum-wage jobs that are stereotypically considered to be done by dropouts & people currently in school.

I lived with my parents till I turned 30 because I had no other options. My disability benefits & working minimum-wage when I was lucky enough to be employed were NOT enough for me to afford my own place without some kinda special assistance that I did not have access to. My mom was on my back a lot about me not working even thou I was putting in apps for most anything I thought I might could do & get to. & when I was working mom was on my back about how I could be doing better. I was coming in on at least one of my off days & working longer hours every week whenever I was allowed to because I was trying to escape major negative stigma, loneliness, a bad depression caused by those things, & I was trying to better myself.

I believe there is a major generational gap between when my mom was a teen & young adult & when I was. I know she wants what's best for me but she just could not grasp how the economic situation changed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, the housing crisis seriously needs to be addressed. There are people who want to live on the West Coast or in the Northeast, but don’t want to do a high-caliber tech job or have the aptitude to do one, but also don’t want to be homeless or live in a tent.

What do we tell them?

As for me, my only hope is to be the only person who applied to a job, and that the employer is very desperate. And for a job that pays $112,000 in Seattle, that isn’t going to happen.

I think part of the housing problem is that there's very little new houses being built in places like Cali and that the current property owners benefit from that because it artificially restricts supply.Part of it is due to natural geography like lack of flat available land to build on compared to places like Texas.Some other parts of the housing problem are the low interest rates and stagnant real wages.But really housing doesnt really go up much in real terms after adjusting for inflation except in a few areas.If i could not afford to live in the premo areas of California as a Cali resident I would move somewhere like Bakersfield or Fresno.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 8:21 pm

Here are some of my certifications:

I am also working on Python and JavaScript.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:37 pm

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:20 pm