Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:13 am

Parent group defends GCSD mom arrested after alleged altercation

Quote:
GANANDA, N.Y. — A group of parents and supporters gathered outside the Gananda Central School District Wednesday to protest the arrest of a parent, who police say got into a physical altercation with a school employee late last week.

Moms for Liberty is a nonprofit that says it advocates for parent choice and parent rights in education. They were outside the Richard Mann Elementary School, defending Laine Mulye, who police say was arrested by the Macedon Police Department last week for second-degree harassment and endangering the welfare of a child -- both misdemeanors.

Police say Mulye got into a physical altercation with a bus monitor during a dispute about her child wearing a mask. They also say she encouraged her child to punch the employee. But Williams says the 10-year-old student was autistic, with a medical exemption for wearing a mask.

Moms for Liberty members want to see support staff get more training when dealing with students in special education.

Member Teresa Jefferi hopes the issue gets resolved in court, but for now, her thoughts are with the child.

“We’re going to have to wait and see on that,” Jefferi said. “But in the meantime, we have a 10-year-old autistic child who is being harmed by all these people running around screaming obscenities to people just trying to stand up for a special needs child“

Mulye was transported to Wayne County Jail following her arrest to await arraignment.

Outside of the specifics of this incident the needs of touch sensitive autistic kids vs the health needs of the community is a contentious issue where there are no good options. In the case of a place such as Disneyland where there are at risk people, the childs right to enjoy Disneyland probably does not outweigh the public need from protection. This could change with a variant but now in a school situation the needs of the autistic kids to have in person learning with their peers probably outweigh the needs of other students and staff. From everything known so far the risk of severe COVID among children is minimal. In that demographic the risk is probably similar to your typical flu and other maladies. As far as the staff goes if they are vaccinated and masked they are at low risk for severe disease.

PPR type comment to follow:
I can not judge Moms for Liberty based on one article but based on the article they do seem like reasonable people who share the goal of better training in autism for school staff. Unfortunately the term “liberty” has been hijacked. If you use “Liberty” in your name people are going to assume you are reckless science deniers, MAGA’s, alt-right, etc.

Nobody should curse around children nor bring their children to political demonstrations because in todays climate the risk of children seeing or hearing something too much for them too handle is too great.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Sep 2021, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:18 am

Note that the mom was NOT arrested for not wearing a mask, but for "second-degree harassment and endangering the welfare of a child", and that she also got into a "physical altercation" with a government employee.

Belligerence and violence are not the best ways to convince others of the correctness of one's claims.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:34 am

Fnord wrote:
Note that the mom was NOT arrested for not wearing a mask, but for "second-degree harassment and endangering the welfare of a child", and that she also got into a "physical altercation" with a government employee.

Belligerence and violence are not the best ways to convince others of the correctness of one's claims.

Hopefully fixed

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Note that the mom was NOT arrested for not wearing a mask, but for "second-degree harassment and endangering the welfare of a child", and that she also got into a "physical altercation" with a government employee.  Belligerence and violence are not the best ways to convince others of the correctness of one's claims.
Hopefully fixed
I hope so too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.