suggestions for weighted blankets and fidget toys

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

christophergug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

hi! im looking into getting a weighted blanket to help me calm down and sleep at night. any suggestions? preferably at amazon if possible!

im also looking for fidget toys so if anyone has any good links to ones on amazon, or like a whole box of them from amazon, that would be very helpful :D

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 4:24 am

No such tips, but a bit of experience:
I bought a 7 kg blanket, I've read that around 10% of body weight is recommended, but it's waay too light for me.
All it does it make it harder to make my bed, when I lay down underneath it I don't feel the weight at all.

/Mats

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2021, 5:53 am

I have a weighted blanket that I use on the couch in the evening, which helps bring my level of arousal down. I usually fall asleep. I occasionally sleep with it overnight. I bought a 7.5kg blanket from Calming Blankets (Australia) but I weigh about 53kg so it’s heavy enough for me.

As for fidgets, I use discreet fidgets at work and in work meetings… usually ones that fit in my pocket. My favourites are an infinity bike chain (or flippy chain), or a marble and mesh. Both are quiet and, for me, extremely satisfying to stim with.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm

I used to like having twisty/tangle puzzle toys at my desk. That was a long time ago (I retired in 2011!) so I can't recommend any specific ones. But things like:

https://www.sharinood.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=582353
https://playtoz.co.uk/twisty-cubes/
https://best-gifts-top-toys.com/2017/07/tangle-different-sort-fidget-toy/

The longer the better.

Note: I'm not suggesting those specific toys or those specific vendors--just the general concept. A good toy store might have some different ones that could strike your fancy.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:11 pm

I was procrastinating about getting a weighted blanket last year, so my family bought me one for my birthday. It is 10% of my body weight and that seems right for me. One feature I have learned about since is called "cooling" blankets which have a sheer fabric instead of the velvety fabric mine has. I think that would be a good idea, but I haven't tried one of those. The other feature is a removable cover which I also don't have. I am surprised I have been able to use the blanket without a sheet under it for a year and it doesn't seem to need washing yet though.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:23 pm

be careful to check the opinions online of the weighted blanket you choose .
Bought a poorly designed one . with a wonderful cover ..but the stuffing was a very poorly styrofoam bead , stuffing . felt like it was a giant beanbag that you could not get the beans all in the right places ..but the velvety cover is very soft. i paid alot for it too. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm

My first weighted blanket had a removable cover and little ties on the inside to keep it in place. Word of warning: It sucked. The weight of the insert still allowed it to shift around and bunch up at one end. It's hard to explain but it was almost impossible to smooth it all out straight. The ties were long enough that it could still collapse down to one end (including the cover). It was just a big ball that would never lie flat. I ended up putting about a hundred diaper pins all around the inside to hold the insert in place. They were end-to-end. It still didn't work. I'd pick it up and even though the insert itself was kind of in place, the weighted beads all dumped to one end of their little pouches. Then of course some of the pins opened and started poking me. It's now used as a dog blanket, in a big lump. (Minus the pins).

My second one is no longer available on Amazon, but I love it. The cover is not removable but it's really soft and fleecy, with the little stitched squares built-in and weighted. It's soooo much better. It says I can wash it, but I'm afraid of killing my washer or having it explode (which would also kill my washer). Being wet it would be even heavier, so don't forget that. Instead of washing it I keep it on top of my duvet to prevent it getting sweaty. I also do spot cleaning and I have a dust-mite hand vacuum to keep it freshened up.

I couldn't live without it.

Mine is 20 lbs which is way more than 10% of my body weight, but don't forget the weight is spread out over the size of a large blanket. Each individual part of the blanket is only a fraction of the total weight. Also, you won't have the entire blanket on your body because it's wide enough for your whole bed. I figure less than half of it is on my body at any given time (half of it on each side of me).

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2021, 1:25 am

Totally agree!
Don’t get one with ties on the inside (connecting the weighted blanket to its cover).
I once saw one which zipped into its cover and I thought that was pretty clever and wish I’d purchased that one. I often use mine without the cover as it has a tendency to bunch up as the internal ties are s**t. Otherwise, it is nicely quilted so the weight is evenly distributed.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:24 am

Regarding fidget toys, I've never found any I like. I fidget and stim with my own items rather than the store-bought commerical type. I'm also a hard-core chewer. I bought a lot of chew toys recommended by my occupational therapist but they were crap too. I'd much rather chew a pen than some type of special needs squeaky toy, that's never quite the right size or texture. They were a waste of money for me.

I would likely enjoy a fidget ring, but I can't tolerate jewellery ... so there's no point.

I'd love to hear of any successful fidget products!

LordAtomis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Sep 2021, 10:46 am

ChiliSleep makes a nice cooling weighted blanket that's worked nice for me since I sleep very hot. I also have a second lesser weighted blanket for when I'm needing more weight. Some nights the second is too much and makes me slightly nauseous, so I will move it to cover only my waist and below.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 11:04 am

thank you .. am needing to locate a decent weighted blanket . :?:

where ever you go ,there you are

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 11:10 am

My personal favorite fidget "toys"

These are actually hair ties, but they feel like spiral telephone wire :) They are fun to pull, tug, and chew on. I typically wear them like bracelets so I have access to them when I need them. :)

Magnets:

I don't own a weighted blanket, but I have two dogs that serve that purpose when I need them!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 2:35 pm

I bought a box of fidgets off Amazon... They're great except the fluid filled stress ball thing... It popped lol! I like the fidget spinners and the bubbler thing... The bike chains are fun too and the squishy spiky balls!

Search "32 pack fidget sensory" on Amazon and you should find it, about $20.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

My weighted blanket is far under the recommended weight, but I like it.