What are the Democrats going to do about welfare?

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

If I understand the situation correctly, the Democrats have a majority in both houses.
Surely they can push through better welfare for the poor?
Are they?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:14 am

Your data is wrong.  The Dems control the House, while the Reps control the Senate.

Besides, you are not even American, so why should you care?  Go mind your own government before slamming others.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:18 am

Fnord wrote:
Your data is wrong.  The Dems control the House, while the Reps control the Senate.

Besides, you are not even American, so why should you care?  Go mind your own government before slamming others.

This is my thread and I expect you to be civil. 8)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:27 am

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This is my thread and I expect you to be civil.
Of course.  If your statements would be more accurate and less "cheeky", I would be much more civil.[/color]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:31 am

Many Democrats happen to be at least as much opposed to "welfare" as many Republicans.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 17 Sep 2021, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Your data is wrong. The Dems control the House, while the Reps control the Senate.

Besides, you are not even American, so why should you care? Go mind your own government before slamming others.

This is my thread and I expect you to be civil.
Of course. If your statements would be more accurate and less "cheeky", I would be much more civil.[/color]

You have a habit of misrepresenting me.
I was not being "cheeky".
I am genuine in wanting to understand what the situation is.

My understanding of the Obama years is that the Democrats had great difficulty getting legislation through because they didn't have a big enough majority.
Is the same happening now?

Are there any welfare plans in the wind?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Pepe wrote:
... My understanding of the Obama years is that the Democrats had great difficulty getting legislation through because they didn't have a big enough majority. Is the same happening now? Are there any welfare plans in the wind?
The same is happening now; and with Trump's appointees on the Supreme Court, civil rights are also threatened.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many Democrats happen to be at least as much opposed to "welfare" as many Republicans.

I find it surprising.
A don't think Blabs would agree with your statement.

What makes you say that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:38 am

Right now, its a "tie" in the Senate, with the Vice President (a Democrat) having the power to break the "tie."

Most of the time, though, in a practical sense, because of parliamentary procedure or whatever, it takes about a 60-40 Democratic majority for anything the Democrats want to be passed by the Senate.

Anything "liberal" happens to be opposed by a minority of Democrats----but enough so that the passing of "liberal" measures is problematic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:39 am

There happen to be some conservative Democrats.

Back about 50 years ago, there were liberal Republicans as well (e.g., Nelson Rockefeller).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:41 am

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
... My understanding of the Obama years is that the Democrats had great difficulty getting legislation through because they didn't have a big enough majority. Is the same happening now? Are there any welfare plans in the wind?
The same is happening now; and with Trump's appointees on the Supreme Court, civil rights are also threatened.

I have heard that the Democrats were planning to increase the number of Supreme Judges to alter the balance of power there.
If this is actual, problem solved on that front.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right now, its a "tie" in the Senate, with the Vice President (a Democrat) having the power to break the "tie." ...
... I would like to see that actually happen, especially with two Democrats -- Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona -- backing the Republicans.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There happen to be some conservative Democrats.

Back about 50 years ago, there were liberal Republicans as well (e.g., Nelson Rockefeller).

To put it crudely, not all Democrats are considered decent people by left-wing democrats?
"Interesting."

Based on the political propaganda before the election, the story was:
All Democrats are good.
All Republicans are bad.

So, this is a myth, then.
"Interesting."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:47 am

Biden is a centrist Democrat. He's a Washington "insider." He's a politician. He's not perfect. He's a backroom dealmaker.

But no matter how "senile" or "sleepy" he's supposed to be, I feel like his heart is in the right place as far as COVID is concerned.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:52 am

I look at the person, not the political party.

I'm not a registered Democrat.

Edward Koch, Democrat, who was a mayor of New York City, was quite liberal in his younger days; as he grew older, though, he became increasingly pragmatic; many of the measures he took were actually rather conservative.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 8:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Biden is a centrist Democrat. He's a Washington "insider." He's a politician. He's not perfect. He's a backroom dealmaker.

But no matter how "senile" or "sleepy" he's supposed to be, I feel like his heart is in the right place as far as COVID is concerned.

I'm not much into American politics and people can vote for whatever party they like, but what's the deal with Biden? Would literally anyone else from the party make a better president? I swear he seems like the type who wakes up in the morning thinking he's a potato until told otherwise. He just seems to old and not sharp enough for the job.