Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:47 am

Thirty six years ago today, I embarked on my first multiday bike trip in Illinois and Indiana. I covered about 450 miles in four days.

It was the of many such trips I'd take, ranging from four days to ten. Those were fun times. Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from chronic back pain from all those miles. Between 1990 and 1995, I was riding between 10,000 and 14,000 miles a year.

I haven't ridden since 2015, now I am mostly into hiking and backpacking.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:50 am

VegetableMan wrote:

Where do you backpack? My two oldest sons are hiking the full length of the Appalachian trail starting in February of next year. All 2,300 miles.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:54 am

Very nice, VM! I actually remember that day! I have a thing for remembering specific dates. I was in California and miserable. I might even have a diary entry for that day. In fact I'm sure I likely do.

I love cycling and I used to do some long distance but mostly mountain biking.

Do you still have any photos from your journey?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:55 am

I'll tell you what----your sons better bring lots of bug spray! :P

It's a beautiful trail---the Appalachian Trail---but there are parts that are really difficult.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

Steve1963 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Where do you backpack? My two oldest sons are hiking the full length of the Appalachian trail starting in February of next year. All 2,300 miles.

I do a couple of multiday trips in the Smokies every year. Close to my home in Central Illinois, there are some nice spots in Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky (LBTL).

That's great your sons are doing the AT! I doubt I'll ever do it all in one trip. I will probably focus on shorter thru hikes and the longer trails in sections.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Very nice, VM! I actually remember that day! I have a thing for remembering specific dates. I was in California and miserable. I might even have a diary entry for that day. In fact I'm sure I likely do.

I love cycling and I used to do some long distance but mostly mountain biking.

Do you still have any photos from your journey?

I have always had a thing for remembering dates, also.

I never did a lot of serious mountain biking, mostly road. It would nice to get a MB if I get back into it. I didn't bikepack on any of my trips because I just didn't like camping in those days. Now I love it!

I don't think I took any pictures on that first trip, but I have some later trips.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:06 am

Happy anniversary! Bikepacking trip is one of the top things in my wish list.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'll tell you what----your sons better bring lots of bug spray! :P

It's a beautiful trail---the Appalachian Trail---but there are parts that are really difficult.

I know at least a dozen people who have completed it. It ain't no easy walk in the woods.

I've done about 30 miles of it in the Smokies. When I've been down there in April when there are so many thru hikers moving through the park. I love to give them rides from Gatlinburg back to the trailhead.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:14 am

badRobot wrote:
Happy anniversary! Bikepacking trip is one of the top things in my wish list.

Thanks!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:21 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I do a couple of multiday trips in the Smokies every year. Close to my home in Central Illinois, there are some nice spots in Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky (LBTL).

That's great your sons are doing the AT! I doubt I'll ever do it all in one trip. I will probably focus on shorter thru hikes and the longer trails in sections.

The Smokies sound nice. I've heard good things about them. They've been preparing themselves by doing 5 day hikes in the Adirondacks. But I don't think there's anything they can do to truly prepare themselves for what lies ahead of them.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:47 am

Steve1963 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

The Smokies sound nice. I've heard good things about them. They've been preparing themselves by doing 5 day hikes in the Adirondacks. But I don't think there's anything they can do to truly prepare themselves for what lies ahead of them.

The Smokies are beautiful.

Yes, it's pretty hard to ever prepare for a several month hike in rugged terrain.

Oscar Meyer Lansky