Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 4:04 am

New York Daily News

Quote:
Robert Durst shot his best friend dead to shut her up before she could rat him out to the cops, a jury ruled on Friday.
Durst, an eccentric member of a prominent and wealthy New York City real estate development family and the subject of a 2015 HBO crime documentary, was found guilty in the 2000 murder of longtime pal Susan Berman in Los Angeles.

Jurors believed the prosecution’s case that Durst killed his best friend, Susan Berman, to cover up the alleged murder of his wife in 1982.

He was convicted of first-degree murder and could face a life sentence. No date has been set for sentencing.

Durst, 78, was not in the courtroom for the verdict. He was in isolation after being exposed to COVID-19.

The verdict ended an unusual trial that began in March 2020 and was interrupted for 14 months because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Jurors deliberated more than seven hours over parts of three days.

In the trial, the aging defendant took the witness stand in a wheelchair to testify in his own defense, claiming he was an aggressive husband at times but never killed his wife or anyone else.

That’s not how prosecutors saw it.

They said Durst fatally shot Berman inside her L.A. bungalow to guarantee her silence after she helped him cover up the 1982 murder of his first wife, Kathie Durst, whose body has never been found.

Berman’s death in December 2000 came after authorities relaunched an investigation into Kathie Durst’s disappearance.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 4:27 am

"psychiatrist Dr. Milton Altschuler to find out why. Altschuler spent over 70 hours examining Durst and diagnosed him with Asperger syndrome, saying, "His whole life's history is so compatible with a diagnosis of Asperger's disorder."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Durst

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 10:23 am

Another old man convicted of murder ... so what?

I am relieved the trial is over, and that his name no longer leads the headlines.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 3:44 pm

Isn't this the guy who essentially confessed on camera during a reality show?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 4:02 am

Robert Durst sentenced to life in best friend’s murder

Quote:
New York real estate heir Robert Durst was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without a chance of parole for the murder of his best friend more than two decades ago.

Durst, who has numerous medical issues and sat in a wheelchair wearing brown jail scrubs, said nothing. His eyes were wide open, and he had a catatonic stare when he entered the courtroom and barely looked over at Kaufman and three of Berman’s cousins when they spoke.

Defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin said Durst will appeal, and he refrained from making other remarks.

Judge Mark Windham denied a motion for a new trial, rejecting arguments there was insufficient evidence or that he ruled incorrectly on 15 issues.

“You said the court erred so many times it made me feel self-conscious,” Windham joked.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

The New York City real estate industry produces a lot of morally impaired individuals, apparently.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:

"Durst went into a bathroom and muttered to himself on a live microphone, “You’re caught.” He later said, “Killed them all, of course.”

Be the hero of your life.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 6:19 pm

Another man who tried to make all people on the spectrum look bad
by using a diagnosis of ASD as a defense.

This one thankfully was unsuccessful.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 6:38 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Not a reality show, but a documentary made after a movie had been made about the case, in which he was interviewed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 7:08 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Another man who tried to make all people on the spectrum look bad
by using a diagnosis of ASD as a defense.

This one thankfully was unsuccessful.

Are you suggesting that his diagnosis is inaccurate, or that there was ever a viable hope that autism would somehow make it impossible to hold him criminally responsible?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2021, 7:28 pm

Fnord wrote:

I am relieved the trial is over, and that his name no longer leads the headlines.

He should have gotten the death penalty.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:26 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Fnord wrote:

He should have gotten the death penalty.

Many states have abolished capital punishment.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:32 pm

for a moment there i was like who? the lead singer of limp bizkit was convicted of murder?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:29 am

Robert Durst sick with Covid-19, and on a ventilator, following life sentence, lawyer says

Quote:
New York real estate heir Robert Durst has tested positive for Covid-19 and is currently connected to a ventilator, his attorney said.

“All we know he’s tested positive for Covid-19, he’s in hospital and on a ventilator," Dick DeGuerin told NBC News on a phone call. "He looked awful Thursday, worst I’ve ever seen him. He was having difficulty breathing, he was having difficulty speaking."

His diagnosis comes the same week he was sentenced to life in prison for murdering a friend more than 20 years ago, in a slaying possibly tied to the killer's missing wife.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:40 am

Lesson is: it’s just not worth it to kill somebody.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Lesson is: it’s just not worth it to kill somebody.

Very true!