Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 8:06 am

Autism pioneer Ruth Sullivan dies at 97

Quote:
Ruth Christ Sullivan, founder of Autism Services Center (ASC), died Thursday afternoon at the age of 97, according to her obituary.

Beirne says anyone who knew or worked with Sullivan would tell you how driven and tenacious she was when she had her mind set on something.

“When her son was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3, few services existed at the time,” he said. “She soon began organizing parents of children with autism on a local, state and national level.”

Sullivan became the first president of the Autism Society of America in 1969. She was the first lobbyist for autism issues at the U.S. Congress. She served as the editor for the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities for nine years.

She consulted on autism in over 10 countries, wrote over 65 articles on autism, and was a consultant for the movie “Rain Man”.

“Dr. Sullivan ran an information and referral hotline for autism, and she provided advocacy services,” he said. “Her office was in her dining room of her house, and her desk was the dining room table”

And it all started with Sullivan’s son, Joseph.

“If God had to give me a handicapped child, it could not have been more wonderful and amazing than Joseph Sullivan,” Ruth Sullivan said.

Beirne said it was amazing to go to national conferences with her as she was recognized globally for her work.

Her son Richard Sullivan said his mother instilled in her children to make things better whenever they could.

“Independent of autism, she taught her children that all people should be treated with dignity and respect,” he said. “She was an advocate for all”.

Beirne said it was amazing to go to national conferences with her as she was recognized globally for her work.

“She was a star. Everybody wanted to meet her and shake her hand,” he said. “She was truly a source of inspiration and hope for so many families.”

Her son Richard Sullivan said his mother instilled in her children to make things better whenever they could.

“Independent of autism, she taught her children that all people should be treated with dignity and respect,” he said. “

Richard Sullivan said his mother was deep into historic preservation, especially in the Guyandotte area of Huntington. She started the Guyandotte Association for Improvement and Preservation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 7:25 am

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/ruth-christ-sullivan-obituary?id=6515903

Quote:
In lieu of flowers expressions of sympathy may be made to Autism Services Center in Huntington or the West Virginia Autism Training Center at Marshall University. Family Guestbook at Klingelcarpenter.com.

To plant a beautiful memorial tree in memory of Ruth Christ Sullivan, Ph.D., please visit our Tribute Store

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:53 am

Washington Post Obituary

Quote:
Dr. Sullivan was 97 when she died Sept. 16 at a senior living center in Huntington, W.Va. The cause was atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat, said her daughter Lydia Sullivan.