Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 8:47 am

Melbourne and Sydney anti-lockdown protests: violent clashes as police arrest demonstrators

Quote:
Victoria police arrested 235 protesters and three officers remained in hospital on Saturday evening following violent anti-lockdown demonstrations in Melbourne’s inner city.

As the state recorded 535 new cases and one death, around 1,000 protesters gathered in the north-eastern suburbs of Richmond and Hawthorn, forced to make a last-minute change of location after 2,000 police officers formed a “ring of steel” around the Melbourne CBD.

The Victoria police commander Mark Galliott told reporters on Saturday 235 protesters were arrested, including 193 people who would also be fined for breaching the public health orders.

He said the remaining group were arrested for a range of offences including assaulting police, riotous behaviour, weapons and drug offences.

Galliott said of the 10 officers injured, six were hospitalised and three remained there with injuries including torn muscles, broken bones and bruises.

Police said they had items including stones, bottles and other objects thrown at them during the protests, while others were injured when they were trampled on by demonstrators.

Public transport to and from the city was suspended between 8am and 2pm on Saturday, and police set up road checkpoints, barricades and roving patrols around the city in an effort to thwart the protest.

Between 200 and 300 demonstrators also took to the street in the northern NSW town of Byron Bay, with 11 people arrested.

NSW police said 32 people had been arrested across the state, 20 of whom were in Sydney. They said 265 infringement notices had been issued for a range of breaches including failing to wear a face mask, 232 of which were in metropolitan Sydney.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the read, ASPOM. I’ve been left stunned by both the reaction of friends and family in Aus from the beginning of this, and even moreso to the draconian way the police are handling things. I still can’t get a couple of scenes out of my mind. Firstly, the scene where a Dad had his 2 year old daughter on his lap in a forest area, no-one else around. Because they weren‘t wearing a mask … in a remote forest!! … the Dad was being handcuffed on the ground with his little girl on his lap, with her crying out. Nonsensical, unnecessary.

Violent protests however, undermine the right to protest at all. Shame.

Same with the scene of 2 ladies on the beach, no-one else around and ordered home! So not necessary. Fresh air is needed and so long as people are social distancing, and numbers on beaches are monitored, this should not be an issue.

I’ve been noticing how family and friends in Aus were very anti-vax, when here in the UK we were all mostly so relieved that one was even found to work! Now, they generally seem to be seeing the light vax-wise. I hear that a quite a number of those who are refusing the vax and anti-lockdowns, are organising a move to a town just outside of Byron Bay. Mullumbimby … the town my Aunt & Uncle used to live in.
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/how-one-hippie-town-became-the-anti-vaxxer-capital-of-australia-20190603-p51txe.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 12:15 am

My wife and I are not from the eastern states but we have lived here for most of our lives now and I think NSW and Victoria seems to breed a segment of the population who are what our former prime minister Keating described as recalcitrants.

However, I can understand the frustration from people from various sectors who have not been able to work since March 2020

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 1:29 am

Huh, an actually violent protest against the government.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 1:31 am

Dox47 wrote:

A lot of angry young men

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 1:52 am

Juliette wrote:
Thanks for the read, ASPOM. I’ve been left stunned by both the reaction of friends and family in Aus from the beginning of this, and even moreso to the draconian way the police are handling things. I still can’t get a couple of scenes out of my mind. Firstly, the scene where a Dad had his 2 year old daughter on his lap in a forest area, no-one else around. Because they weren‘t wearing a mask … in a remote forest!! … the Dad was being handcuffed on the ground with his little girl on his lap, with her crying out. Nonsensical, unnecessary.

Violent protests however, undermine the right to protest at all. Shame.

Same with the scene of 2 ladies on the beach, no-one else around and ordered home! So not necessary. Fresh air is needed and so long as people are social distancing, and numbers on beaches are monitored, this should not be an issue.

I’ve been noticing how family and friends in Aus were very anti-vax, when here in the UK we were all mostly so relieved that one was even found to work! Now, they generally seem to be seeing the light vax-wise. I hear that a quite a number of those who are refusing the vax and anti-lockdowns, are organising a move to a town just outside of Byron Bay. Mullumbimby … the town my Aunt & Uncle used to live in.
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/how-one-hippie-town-became-the-anti-vaxxer-capital-of-australia-20190603-p51txe.html

Were they anti-vax or did they think it unnecessary at the time, since Australia had virtually no covid?

Until the delta breakout in Sydney, I saw no reason to get vaccinated with a new drug.
I was actually waiting for Pfizer, since there was no urgency.
When Delta hit, here in Sydney, I was pushing little old ladies out of my way to get at the head of the queue. :mrgreen:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 1:53 am

Hmm, I see some ladies and some grey hair in that crowd, some of the videos I've seen elsewhere looked pretty wild.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 1:59 am

Dox47 wrote:

Yeah.
This is a rare event.
But not that rare within the last year, however.

The Wuhan virus has changed the fabric of society. 8)

BTW, I learned today on Sky News, The Outsider's program, that there is nothing in the Australian constitution protecting citizen's rights the way some other countries, like the US, have.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 2:03 am

Dox47 wrote:
Hmm, I see some ladies and some grey hair in that crowd, some of the videos I've seen elsewhere looked pretty wild.

People are losing what they have worked all their lives for.
The left side of politics and the public service often have less sympathy because they are better protected financially.
Small business, which tends to be politically conservative, is being annihilated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 4:58 am

I don;t know what the composition of the Sydney rioters were, but the bulk of the protestors in Melbourne were tradesmen factory and casual workers who have been unable to work (not so much small business owners). Of course a good smattering of anti-vaxxers and young males looking to vent their boredom.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 6:18 am

Pepe wrote:
BTW, I learned today on Sky News, The Outsider's program, that there is nothing in the Australian constitution protecting citizen's rights the way some other countries, like the US, have.:mrgreen:

Australia doesn't have a federal Bill of Rights or Human Rights Act. Such provisions at the federal level have to be legislated one at a time. I'm not sure why making an overarching Bill of Rights hasn't been a priority for the federal government. It'd save time rather than having to legislate individual rights piecemeal.

Pepe wrote:
Until the delta breakout in Sydney, I saw no reason to get vaccinated with a new drug.
I was actually waiting for Pfizer, since there was no urgency.
When Delta hit, here in Sydney, I was pushing little old ladies out of my way to get at the head of the queue. :mrgreen:

Now there's a mental image. :P
My father also waited for Pfizer, and when it became available for people his age he booked his 1st dose ASAP.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 10:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Yes, there appears to have been a wide range of people involved, such as:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_sa9xbUYAE6_1r?format=jpg

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 1:39 am

Brictoria wrote:

Yes, there appears to have been a wide range of people involved, such as:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_sa9xbUYAE6_1r?format=jpg

Pauline Hanson got what she deserved. <joke> :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 4:59 am

Looks like the union boys are getting into it over COVID rules.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:35 pm

anti-vaxxers threatening to tear down Melbourne sending it broke if vaccination certificates are introduced
A lot of them are neo-Nazis pretending to be tradies
https://www.9news.com.au/national/viole ... fe2331f7dd

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I don;t know what the composition of the Sydney rioters were, but the bulk of the protestors in Melbourne were tradesmen factory and casual workers who have been unable to work (not so much small business owners). Of course a good smattering of anti-vaxxers and young males looking to vent their boredom.

Agreed. 8)