Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 3:17 pm

Hi,

I just went from being unemployed to now being underemployed.

How can I get out of being underemployed to a career with opportunities for advancement?

Thanks!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 9:12 am

Dunno, I've had the same problem for a few years now. Underemployed, but it's better than being unemployed. Look at the bright side: your CV will look better with the current job on it than it would look with a long and still continuing unemployment. :D

Ah, but I suppose the first thing to do would be to check if your current workplace does have some decent chances at advancing. Assuming you haven't already checked, of course.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm

Is underemployed another word for part time employment? Just curious.

/Mats

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:09 am

mohsart wrote:
Is underemployed another word for part time employment? Just curious.

/Mats

It can be. If one would be willing to and able to work full time but has only been able to get a part time job, then they're underemployed. The word can also be used for someone who's overqualified for their current job, even if that job is full time.