Why do people assume everyone works in an office

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 12:04 am

I worked 40 years at data entry. Not a “professional” job….it paid the bills…..it was a “good” job for someone on the Spectrum.

I have no “hobby” in me. Goes to show—that even Spectrumites run the gamut.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 8:21 am

My relationship to work has always been filled with difficulties, even when I got good reviews, which wasn't always.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 10:37 am

^You were certainly useful, though.

You’re a programmer, right?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 11:00 am

^ that is a matter of some disagreement :)

Sometimes I wrote code, other times I was a DBA or Linux Sysadmin, usually some combination of all of those things.
I even worked as a Tech Writer for six months.

My last review before I was "laid off" was "You didn't get much done last year, what you do is really really good, I need you to do more stuff faster."

Trying to decide if it is time for a career change - maybe I accept that writing code is something I do well, but not fast enough (because I tend to go down rabbit holes, very very far down rabbit holes, or simply bounce around to all corners of the internet)

lemonboi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2023, 2:12 pm

Oml! This!

Almost all of the work advice online is catered to people who work in an office and are "doing projects". I work in a restaurant lol this doesn't apply to me

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 3:16 pm

lemonboi wrote:
Oml! This!

Almost all of the work advice online is catered to people who work in an office and are "doing projects". I work in a restaurant lol this doesn't apply to me

I know right?

I work in a coach garage, cleaning coaches and around the garage.

Whenever I read online work advice being catered to office work only, I always get a picture in my head of people at regular meetings in a very formal setting, doing presentations like a formal version of show and tell, with a huge board up behind you with your project you have been working on with your co-workers over the last few weeks, with text and pictures stuck on it with glue, and all that.

lemonboi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2023, 4:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
lemonboi wrote:
Oml! This!

I know right?

Whenever I read online work advice being catered to office work only, I always get a picture in my head of people at regular meetings in a very formal setting, doing presentations like a formal version of show and tell, with a huge board up behind you with your project you have been working on with your co-workers over the last few weeks, with text and pictures stuck on it with glue, and all that.

that's the image I get too! That or working busily on a computer and then submitting it to the boss for review

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 10:10 am

lemonboi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
lemonboi wrote:
Oml! This!

I know right?

that's the image I get too! That or working busily on a computer and then submitting it to the boss for review

If I'm talking about work on an internet forum I get advice that would suit office workers only, unless I specify that I work in a coach garage cleaning coaches. I know that people aren't going to know what job it is I do unless I tell them, but what I'm saying is office work is always the first assumed job everyone does.

If I want to give advice I first ask what job it is they do rather than assume they work in an office.