Very Early Intervention therapy said to be “breakthrough”

Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 10:31 pm

INTERVENTION WITHIN THE BRITISH AUTISM STUDY OF INFANT SIBLINGS (i-BASIS)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 2:37 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
A meltdown pro tip: don't try to discuss anything during meltdowns. Offer comfort - that usually means leaving one physically alone, unless you know the person's other preferences.
You can go back to the discussion once capacity for rational thinking is regained.

Even if I wanted to have a discussion it would be impossible during a meltdown. And, yes, you were right, she wanted to be left alone for a few hours. After Cybergirl blows our ear drums with her screaming she then does her own self-regulation using mindfulness techniques (breathing exercises) she uses herself.

At the moment she's quite chirpy as if nothing happened other than interrogating me why my DNS server is ok and her laptop isn't syncing with the internet provider. I find it annoying that wifi is reason for a meltdown. I mean what the heck are we supposed to do as parents, we aren't god.
A technical issue is not your fault and I suspect Cybergirl knows it. Having your plans crossed out for an unexpected technical problem can be very disturbing. My husband is a grown up man and he can sometimes blow a short meltdown in such situations :lol:

I think there was an English comic who said that he could handle global warming, terrorism and the pandemic but like most people he would lose it (like your husband) if his wifi wasn't working :lol:

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 1:05 pm

To get back to the original topic:

There's a big difference between not meeting the behavioural criteria of autism and not having the neurotype characteristics typical of autistic people.

I've also long wondered, and seen others wondering, how much of the typical "symptoms" of autism are inherent and how much are due to negative effects of being misunderstood and not given the same sort of neurotype-appropriate scaffolding as NT children get.

For example, if you compare profoundly deaf children born to hearing parents as opposed to those born to Deaf parents (ie, both deaf in terms of their hearing acuity and Deaf in terms of their cultural affiliation), the difference in some ways mirrors autistic vs NT. For example, deaf kids with hearing parents tend to have impaired joint attention, delayed theory of mind development, and difficulty with social skills, in addition to language delays. Meanwhile, Deaf of Deaf children hit social-cognitive and linguistic milestones at similar ages to hearing children.

So, this, along with observing similar deficits in kids who've spent part of their infant/toddler stage in orphanage settings, suggests that environmental effects can result in impaired joint attention, delayed ToM and difficulty with social skills. In particular, if a child isn't getting as effective of social scaffolding from caregivers, for whatever reason, this can cause some of the core diagnostic behavioural characteristics of autism.

So, maybe at its core autism isn't about delayed social skills. Maybe it's a different way of processing - underlying traits like sensory hypersensitivity, hyperfocusing, etc - and the social symptoms result from the mismatch between the way autistic people think and learn and the way NT parents are primed to scaffold their learning. And at least some autistic kids, if given the right scaffolding, wouldn't have any social skills delays. And they're no more non-autistic than a Deaf of Deaf child is non-deaf, but we can't tell because we don't have the equivalent of a hearing test for detecting autism. Instead, we're diagnosing it based on the secondary effects it could have if they don't get the right support.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:34 pm

might try to configure the idea of a non verbal autistic child into your ideas, above.

where ever you go ,there you are

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:24 pm

Jakki wrote:
might try to configure the idea of a non verbal autistic child into your ideas, above.

I'm guessing that's directed at me?

Well, firstly, this theory doesn't state that all autistic traits are necessarily related to this early communication breakdown between parent and child. For example, sensory issues, intense interests, and attentional differences, in my theory, are core features of the autistic neurotype that are likely to be present regardless of their environment.

Development of verbal communication, however, is actually affected by how well parents can understand their children's nonverbal cues and elicit joint attention. Both for autistic kids with NT parents and for deaf kids with hearing parents. Certainly, this isn't the only factor that affects whether or not an autistic kid can communicate verbally, and things like sensory processing issues (especially auditory processing), apraxia, etc make a big difference as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 7:36 pm

Ettina wrote:
Well, firstly, this theory doesn't state that all autistic traits are necessarily related to this early communication breakdown between parent and child. For example, sensory issues, intense interests, and attentional differences, in my theory, are core features of the autistic neurotype that are likely to be present regardless of their environment..

You've actually pointed out an issue that pertains to each child on spectrum that makes me suspect this research isn't going to work with every child. Parents are in the best position to pick up the child's individual sensory issues, My daughter's non-verbal presentation as a child was due to her shutting down auditory signals due to an intense dislike of a range of noises ranging from birds to the noises a person makes when they speak, cough, sneeze, gurgle, eat etc. We knew something was a amiss as her reading, writing and math was highly developed.

Its only as she got older that her motivation to interact with people that she was able to self-regulate her auditory sensory issues and open herself up to listening and learning speech.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:59 am

A controversial study claims researchers can "treat" some autism symptoms in early childhood. - Matthew Rozsa for Salon

Quote:
It isn't easy being autistic. For that matter, it isn't even easy talking about being autistic.

I say this as an autistic journalist who vividly remembers the moment in 2012 when the American Psychiatric Association voted to remove the diagnosis "Asperger's Syndrome" from its official manual. As soon as I saw the headline, I was struck by the symbolism. By literally banishing a term about autism from the medical lexicon, the APA had underscored a deep, ongoing tension that exists among the autistic community and its advocates. They had also unintentionally given trolls a new cudgel with which to bully neurodiversity activists, as for several weeks I received a flurry of scientifically illiterate emails claiming the reclassification of "Asperger's Syndrome" actually meant the condition was "fake”.

As that experience indicates, part of the conversation about autism out of necessity involves reducing stigmas and bullying behavior. Research and the needs of social justice make it clear that autism is often more akin to a language difference; the term "neurodiversity" reinforces the crucial concept that autism is natural, not inherently unhealthy.

Yet autistic individuals continue to face hardships everywhere from our legal system and the workplace to casual social interactions. Autistic people benefit immensely when researchers develop ways for them to more effectively function, particularly in areas where mistreatment is rampant.

That said, study co-author Andrew Whitehouse — a professor of autism research at the Telethon Kids Institute and the University of Western Australia — made it clear that researchers believe their studies could have important implications for autistic individuals.

"The findings highlight the limitations of how diagnoses are used by health, disability and education systems," Whitehouse told Salon by email. "Systems that provide access to support based on the presence or absence of a diagnosis are flawed, and can lead to children missing out on services that they desperately need." Whitehouse argued that the study proves caregivers will be more successful if they view autistic patients as distinct individuals, not as examples within a category.

Whitehouse also emphasized that he did not view the study as an attempt to "cure" autism." Indeed, iBASIS-VIPP itself is delivered not to the children, but to the parents; the goal is to teach parents how to better raise autistic children.

Autism is not a disease and not something that should be cured or lessened, so how this study assessed the impact of intervention on 'autism behavior severity' may cause concern amongst many autistic people and their families," Tim Nicholls, a spokesperson from the UK's National Autistic Society, said in a statement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 1:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A controversial study claims researchers can "treat" some autism symptoms in early childhood. - Matthew Rozsa for Salon
Quote:
It isn't easy being autistic. For that matter, it isn't even easy talking about being autistic.

I say this as an autistic journalist who vividly remembers the moment in 2012 when the American Psychiatric Association voted to remove the diagnosis "Asperger's Syndrome" from its official manual. As soon as I saw the headline, I was struck by the symbolism. By literally banishing a term about autism from the medical lexicon, the APA had underscored a deep, ongoing tension that exists among the autistic community and its advocates. They had also unintentionally given trolls a new cudgel with which to bully neurodiversity activists, as for several weeks I received a flurry of scientifically illiterate emails claiming the reclassification of "Asperger's Syndrome" actually meant the condition was "fake”.

As that experience indicates, part of the conversation about autism out of necessity involves reducing stigmas and bullying behavior. Research and the needs of social justice make it clear that autism is often more akin to a language difference; the term "neurodiversity" reinforces the crucial concept that autism is natural, not inherently unhealthy.

Yet autistic individuals continue to face hardships everywhere from our legal system and the workplace to casual social interactions. Autistic people benefit immensely when researchers develop ways for them to more effectively function, particularly in areas where mistreatment is rampant.

That said, study co-author Andrew Whitehouse — a professor of autism research at the Telethon Kids Institute and the University of Western Australia — made it clear that researchers believe their studies could have important implications for autistic individuals.

"The findings highlight the limitations of how diagnoses are used by health, disability and education systems," Whitehouse told Salon by email. "Systems that provide access to support based on the presence or absence of a diagnosis are flawed, and can lead to children missing out on services that they desperately need." Whitehouse argued that the study proves caregivers will be more successful if they view autistic patients as distinct individuals, not as examples within a category.

Whitehouse also emphasized that he did not view the study as an attempt to "cure" autism." Indeed, iBASIS-VIPP itself is delivered not to the children, but to the parents; the goal is to teach parents how to better raise autistic children.

Autism is not a disease and not something that should be cured or lessened, so how this study assessed the impact of intervention on 'autism behavior severity' may cause concern amongst many autistic people and their families," Tim Nicholls, a spokesperson from the UK's National Autistic Society, said in a statement.

Ironically I welcome his comments regarding not treating autism or reducing it since he`s giving an honest clear opinion allowing others to make their own, based upon their own needs and thoughts.

He may think differently however if he was spending the rest of his life imprisoned in a care home, then again would he be aware or capable of forming or articulating an opinion who knows?

There would be clear water between the medical side and the pure neurodiversity side. No more BS or ambiguity about what they represent just total honesty, so everyone knows.

Most autistic people & society in general have an opinion that autism research should continue to reduce symptoms for those that want it & no one group has the right to deny that to others.

Government & society in general is likely to have that opinion too, since caring for level 3 autism brings huge costs where autistic people have to compete with the elderly & dementia sufferers for resources & care for a much longer time period.

People like the author will simply be marginalised as extremists and their calls ignored as fortunately they are currently by both the medical community & society at large.

Many autistic people will start to realise that these super high functioning aspie neuro privileged elite few, dont speak for them also or have their interests in mind & start abandoning them.

fortunately we also have a few organisations of our own:-

https://www.autismeye.com/autism-lessened/

Quote:
CHARITIES CLASH OVER STANCE ON AUTISM
The UK’s biggest autism charity has been criticised for saying the condition should not be “lessened”.

The National Autistic Society (NAS) made the comment in response to research on a parent-coaching technique. The technique aims to reduce autism diagnoses.

The country’s leading autism charity has been criticised for saying the condition should not be “lessened”
Tim Nicholls of the NAS says autism should not be “cured or lessened”

Tim Nicholls is head of policy with the NAS. He insisted autism is not something that should be “cured or lessened”.

But biomedical charity Thinking Autism says the condition often comes with an array of health problems.

Right to seek treatment
Autistic people and their families have the right to seek treatment for these health issues, says Thinking Autism

The Australian study that used the parent-coaching technique trained families in how to respond to babies who showed early signs of autism.

It found the technique could reduce autism diagnoses by two-thirds.

Research may ‘cause concern’
Professor Andrew Whitehouse, of the Telethon Kids Institute at the University of Western Australia, was involved in the study.

He called the findings an “important step forward”.

But Nicholls said the research may “cause concern among many autistic people and their families”.

And he insisted research should not try to reduce the severity of autism.

Instead, it should focus on “supporting autistic people” with their “biggest challenges”.

But in their statement, Thinking Autism insisted Whitehouse’s research was supporting autistic people.

Whitehouse’s research reported a reduction in repetitive behaviours, sensory problems and improved social engagement.

Chronic sleep problems, gut disorders, epilepsy, self-harm, anxiety and depression are all far more common in people with autism, says Thinking Autism.

The charity said around one in three people on the autistic spectrum need one-to-one care. It added that around nine in ten cannot hold down a job and see their lives “cruelly limited”.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

carlos55 wrote:
It represents a decisive victory for early intervention proponents AKA ABA.

They’ll just piggy back on these findings with a 1/2 approach the reported therapy for babies followed by ABA for school age kids.

It will supercharge the industry.

A cornerstone of the ND movement was the abolishment of ABA.

NT Parents and experts were not interested in the “natural difference” of autism or old abuse stories so they used to say ABA doesn’t work as a more effective strategy.

However as mentioned the industry will just cite the effectiveness of early intervention with scientific evidence to back that up.

Unfortunately for ND they have just decisively lost the ABA battle just that some don’t realize yet.

Wow, so much wrong.

Firstly, early intervention =|= ABA. There are many different treatments that have been used, for many different diagnoses (and for undiagnosed kids who seem delayed), to do early intervention. Speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, all are frequently used as early intervention.

Secondly, the description of this therapy is pretty much the opposite of ABA. It seems more in line with parental sensitivity training - an intervention that has already been used to prevent attachment insecurity in at-risk families. It's all about listening to the child, not bossing them around.

Now, imagine you're a parent of a disabled child, and you've been taught to do a treatment and it seems to have had good effects. And then your kid ages out of that therapy, and they get offered a new therapist with a different approach that's basically the exact opposite of what you've already been doing and getting success with. My guess is that most parents won't be happy to do a total 180° switch in their parenting style, when they've already gotten good results from the original strategy, just because some new therapist says they need to change things up. These parents are going to be the ones who drop out of ABA because they don't think it's a good fit for their children. (This is backed up by the subjective impression I've gotten that parents I've known who back out of ABA treatment for their kids tend to be high in parental sensitivity, even if they haven't been trained in it.)

And then you seem to be convinced that this is the only time anyone has ever studied any early intervention for autism and found results that are interpreted as evidence of effectiveness of the treatment. You're almost 40 years out of date. In 1987, Ivar Lovaas published the first major study of early intensive ABA, in which he claimed that 47% of preschool-aged autistic children who got intensive ABA treatment grew to be "indistinguishable from their peers" by the age of 6. Since then, there's been a ton of studies into ABA as an early intervention for autism, and while none of them have found almost half of the kids were cured, most have found significant "improvement". And meanwhile, before and after Lovaas, other early interventions have been studied in a wide variety of populations for a wide variety of purposes and found to be effective.

The ND movement would've been killed before it even started if a single study about early intervention with positive results was enough to do it. But no, studies saying ABA works hasn't really slowed us down. We've just focused on questioning whether the effects hold after the ages studied (no one has looked at adults who received early childhood ABA and found positive results), whether their measures really reflect improvement (eg if a child stims less, that's not necessarily better), whether the marketing overstates the studies' data (it absolutely does - ABA proponents are constantly claiming Ivar Lovaas' 47% cured as if that's a replicable finding) and whether the studies can be trusted altogether (87% of studies into the effectiveness of ABA are authored by people who failed to mention their financial ties to the ABA industry in the study's conflict of interest declaration).

So, no, we haven't lost. In fact, this study is a victory against ABA, because it's a study we can point to for a better alternative for desperate parents.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 11:36 am

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
It represents a decisive victory for early intervention proponents AKA ABA.

They’ll just piggy back on these findings with a 1/2 approach the reported therapy for babies followed by ABA for school age kids.

It will supercharge the industry.

A cornerstone of the ND movement was the abolishment of ABA.

NT Parents and experts were not interested in the “natural difference” of autism or old abuse stories so they used to say ABA doesn’t work as a more effective strategy.

However as mentioned the industry will just cite the effectiveness of early intervention with scientific evidence to back that up.

Unfortunately for ND they have just decisively lost the ABA battle just that some don’t realize yet.

Wow, so much wrong.

Firstly, early intervention =|= ABA. There are many different treatments that have been used, for many different diagnoses (and for undiagnosed kids who seem delayed), to do early intervention. Speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, all are frequently used as early intervention.

Secondly, the description of this therapy is pretty much the opposite of ABA. It seems more in line with parental sensitivity training - an intervention that has already been used to prevent attachment insecurity in at-risk families. It's all about listening to the child, not bossing them around.

Now, imagine you're a parent of a disabled child, and you've been taught to do a treatment and it seems to have had good effects. And then your kid ages out of that therapy, and they get offered a new therapist with a different approach that's basically the exact opposite of what you've already been doing and getting success with. My guess is that most parents won't be happy to do a total 180° switch in their parenting style, when they've already gotten good results from the original strategy, just because some new therapist says they need to change things up. These parents are going to be the ones who drop out of ABA because they don't think it's a good fit for their children. (This is backed up by the subjective impression I've gotten that parents I've known who back out of ABA treatment for their kids tend to be high in parental sensitivity, even if they haven't been trained in it.)

And then you seem to be convinced that this is the only time anyone has ever studied any early intervention for autism and found results that are interpreted as evidence of effectiveness of the treatment. You're almost 40 years out of date. In 1987, Ivar Lovaas published the first major study of early intensive ABA, in which he claimed that 47% of preschool-aged autistic children who got intensive ABA treatment grew to be "indistinguishable from their peers" by the age of 6. Since then, there's been a ton of studies into ABA as an early intervention for autism, and while none of them have found almost half of the kids were cured, most have found significant "improvement". And meanwhile, before and after Lovaas, other early interventions have been studied in a wide variety of populations for a wide variety of purposes and found to be effective.

The ND movement would've been killed before it even started if a single study about early intervention with positive results was enough to do it. But no, studies saying ABA works hasn't really slowed us down. We've just focused on questioning whether the effects hold after the ages studied (no one has looked at adults who received early childhood ABA and found positive results), whether their measures really reflect improvement (eg if a child stims less, that's not necessarily better), whether the marketing overstates the studies' data (it absolutely does - ABA proponents are constantly claiming Ivar Lovaas' 47% cured as if that's a replicable finding) and whether the studies can be trusted altogether (87% of studies into the effectiveness of ABA are authored by people who failed to mention their financial ties to the ABA industry in the study's conflict of interest declaration).

So, no, we haven't lost. In fact, this study is a victory against ABA, because it's a study we can point to for a better alternative for desperate parents.

You omit some important facts:

1. The new therapy “cures or prevents” autism in a significant number which is why it made headlines around the world, ignore the BS about “remaining neurodiverse”, since autism is a CARS score, if a child scores below the threshold as they are claiming then they are not autistic, simple as that.

2. This therapy is for babies only and under the label early intervention, it’s the first-time early intervention has been shown to scientifically cure or prevent autism, before ND advocates would claim autism is fixed at birth now that has been shown not to be true.

3. Those that will be “cured or autism prevented” will grow up NT, it’s unlikely they will receive much more therapy in this area.

4. Those remaining autistic will go straight into ABA, who will cite the importance of early intervention. I made the analogy of elementary school to middle school; the new therapy will be the elementary school which had failed and the middle school is the ABA. There is no equivalent to this new therapy for older kids

5. ABA is still the main autism therapy for older kids & teenagers, there is little else out there apart from floor time which is aimed at younger kids, there are some others like occupational therapy which tends to target different things.

This new therapy or ABA doesnt effect me much but it does open a debate about treating autism which is a good thing

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Oct 2021, 11:51 am

I read news from a handful of sources regularily, including science news. It didn't make headlines around the world.

The study authors don't claim they "prevent" or "cure" autism. They actually stress they don't.

It's just another study on just another approach, further and follow-up studies required (as usually in science). No revolution either way. Just regular exploration of possibilities.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 11:59 am

magz wrote:
I read news from a handful of sources regularily, including science news. It didn't make headlines around the world.

The study authors don't claim they "prevent" or "cure" autism. They actually stress they don't.

It's just another study on just another approach, further and follow-up studies required (as usually in science). No revolution either way. Just regular exploration of possibilities.

I created a thread about this, they are claiming after therapy the child no longer meets the threshold for autism, so aka cured or prevented

viewtopic.php?t=400334

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Oct 2021, 12:07 pm

We had this conversation before. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=400224&start=16#p8866771
Did you make three threads on the same study? I believe I should merge them.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

Carlos said

Quote:
Many autistic kids have complex mitochondrial and auto immune problems that I don’t see fixed by interaction.

Carlos, I apologize for hijacking your thread, but I have never before heard that complex mitochondrial and auto-immune problems went along with autism.

Can you give any references. I'm not criticizing. I am genuinely interested, as probably having both myself.

Thank you.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

! magz wrote:
Three threads by the same author on the same topic have been merged.
I remind that duplicate threads are against WP rules.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:20 pm

magz wrote:
We had this conversation before. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=400224&start=16#p8866771
Did you make three threads on the same study? I believe I should merge them.

No only one in the autism politics forum, the other although related to the new therapy was about the deception of NT scientists in saying the children were still Neurodiverse but were no longer autistic.

I basically I said that’s BS, since autism diagnosis is a CARS score if they fall below they are no longer autistic.

So two threads plus comments on this one by AsPartOfMe.

- George Bernie Shaw