Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I am told that I have a dry sense of humour. How do I wet it?

If it's anything like a county you just need to allow alcohol use. :nerdy:

Dry humor means "dead pan".

Like Bob Newhart.

The opposite might be over the top, and frenetic, delivery. Like Robin Williams, Sam Kinison, or Richard Pryor.

And...getting bombed in public might actually result in that very change in behavior! :D

I'm familiar with the concept and applying it in practice. :wink:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Uhmmm. It looks like and feel like I am drunk when I am in a partial shutdown so I never have drunk much alcohol. Shutdowns are cheaper... Actually free! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 12:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Like Bob Newhart.

The opposite might be over the top, and frenetic, delivery. Like Robin Williams, Sam Kinison, or Richard Pryor.

And...getting bombed in public might actually result in that very change in behavior! :D

I only know one name on that list and that is Robin Williams. Are the others well known?

Would one survive if one was bombed? Usually people die when they are blown to bits?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 1:16 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Like Bob Newhart.

I only know one name on that list and that is Robin Williams. Are the others well known?

Would one survive if one was bombed? Usually people die when they are blown to bits?

Sam Kinison (white guy with long hair and a identifying scream) was hugely popular in the Nineties, before he died suddenly in a car crash. So his brief fame might well have fallen through the cracks for someone in the UK.

But Richard Pryor was both an innovative giant in stand up, and a star of movies, and TV, for decades. Black guy who costarred on with Gen Wilder in "Stir Crazy". I dunno. You mustave seen him in American imported media. Remarkable that you dont know his name.

Dont know whether you're joking (your dry humor), or serious. But "bombed" is just another one of the thousands of slang terms used on both sides of the Atlantic for "getting drunk".

I forgot...

Yes, Bob Newhart is also well known. A generation older than the others on the list he was a major standup comic since circa 1960, and starred in two long running TV sitcoms, and is often a guest star on the Big Bang Theory.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 2:35 pm

Here we say "Blotto" for someone who is drunk I think.
I have once ot twice seen Big Bang Theory but hardly seen it really. Brother has.

Remembering names and faces is not my thing.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 9:16 pm

blottoed ,, sauced , pissed, drunk. three sheets to the wind , sloshed .....ecetera .....
If you are going to imbibe , choose" only "the absolute best . That way when you enjoy yourself , you know you are enjoying the best ! & consider alchohol that is very expensive , will help you not spend your hard earned money on something you are going to piss away

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 8:49 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Here we say "Blotto" for someone who is drunk I think.
I have once ot twice seen Big Bang Theory but hardly seen it really. Brother has.

Remembering names and faces is not my thing.

We in the States also say "Blotto" (we had a local rock band of that name in the Eighties), and all of the words listed by Jakki above.

And we also say "plastered", "tanked", "pickled", and of course the legal terms of "inebriated", "intoxicated", "under the influence".

And there are old fashioned terms like "tight" (as in the classic British comedy movie "Tight Little Isle"), and words like "lit", and "high" which used to mean "drunk" but are now more commonly used to mean "under the influence of drugs other than- or in addition to- alcohol".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 4:39 pm

Many of these words I did not know. Half I do.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 3:41 am

Nature vs Nurture

If you start to see the differences between nature and nurture, there is already a lot to be gained from wrestling from the stifling social ties. As far as Nature is concerned, i see little room to free you from that. With nurture there is plenty of room. Take, for example, the era you use. The 13.7 billion years may not be nurture, but almost all other eras are. You will live in a liberating mindset if you start using your own era. Throwing nationalities overboard is also possible if you manage to escape the prison of nurture. It makes life much more autonomous.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:21 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

I believe this is the result of a flat affect. I learned to build a sense of humor out of mine, as a kid. Of course, people usually can't tell when I'm serious or joking anyway. But it is fun to say things in my normal deadpan way and get a laugh. People always wonder how I do it, and never realize that this is the way I talk. All the forced vocal inflections take effort, not reserve or flatness.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:40 am

HighLlama wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I believe this is the result of a flat affect. I learned to build a sense of humor out of mine, as a kid. Of course, people usually can't tell when I'm serious or joking anyway. But it is fun to say things in my normal deadpan way and get a laugh. People always wonder how I do it, and never realize that this is the way I talk. All the forced vocal inflections take effort, not reserve or flatness.

Now I know why people tell me I have a dry sense of humour… sometimes when I’m not even trying to be funny.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 4:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
I understand why NTs lie and I use that technique myself sometimes,

I'm glad to hear you are learning to lie. We'll make an NT out of you yet :wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 9:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I understand why NTs lie and I use that technique myself sometimes,

I'm glad to hear you are learning to lie. We'll make an NT out of you yet :wink:

Bending the truth was never something, I tried to be good at . It was the difference between myself and my abusers growing up. In later years, I think , I saw, where, if I was to make it through the world, It seemed that it was a necessary thing. But if the stress to do it, was there. Found myself , going flat in my mannerisms .And speech.
Because it is most familiar. But I did make it a point to watch these patterns in others and try to be conscious that they were happening around me. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are