Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 5:40 am

I don't think like most of you lot. I tend to be more independent in my thinking. It can be hard to find someone who appreciates that.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:17 am

It seems to me that a lot of people here tend to be independent in their thinking. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you here, missing the point. Can you elaborate, please?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:22 am

Most of us ARE independent thinkers ... those of us who do not let Facebook, Incels, QAnon, Twitter, or YouTube do our thinking for us, anyway.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:24 am

Most of us here.....are "not like "most people."

That's why we're here :)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:48 am

A lot of people thinks they're not like most people.

Me? :twisted: Oh boy. Sure.

Not that I care but... :P I'm not like most people -- because I'm an aspie who do not have anxiety related struggles.

Top that. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

... But seriously.
Many people are capable of being independent thinkers.
Any person is -- if they know how to disconnect them from their hive mind like collective of social gestalt of being ingroup.

And many thought they are however contrary.
But I'm inclined to believe your claim more than most people who claimed the same. :wink:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 22 Sep 2021, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:52 am

"de meeste mensen zijn andere mensen"

A translation from a Oscar Wilde quote "the most people are other people"
Wilde his quote is actualy a bit longer than the red neon letters in Rotterdam.
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”

Im glad that my parents didnt brainwash me with the dogma's and doctrines from religion.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:39 am

I do seem to think differently. I can put myself in a position of knowing nothing and therefore I can "Float" for a while before I decide to introduce suitable anchor points to use to build the foundations on before and while I am in deep thought.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 22 Sep 2021, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:42 am

Since you cannot know what other people are thinking, how their thinking works, or how deeply they think, then any assumptions to the contrary are nonsensical.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2021, 9:46 am

As far as I can see, every regular WP member has very unique way of thinking.
That's part of the "spectrum" thing.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:55 am

In some ways, I think like other people; in other ways, I don't.

I adopt some aspects of the "wider culture" because I like those aspects. I don't adopt other aspects because I don't like those aspects.

Just because I might, at times, think in the mainstream----doesn't mean I'm some sort of "sheeple."

One can be a "sheeple" when one seeks to be a nonconformist at all costs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 10:25 am

Knowing that you are unique does NOT mean that other people are all the same.

"Everyone is unique, just like everybody else." -- attributed to many

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 10:36 am

"You're all different!"
"I'm not!"
Life of Brian

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 11:43 am

Sometimes I feel I'm not like the others here on WP. I panic more than most others in some of my posts, I seem to be the angriest about having ASD, I understand why NTs lie and I use that technique myself sometimes, I am naturally not politically correct (but just try to be to keep myself from hurting people or being banned), and I get thrown when people criticise me for gossiping or judging other groups of people (I don't do it nastily I just express my opinion on it).

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2021, 3:23 pm

Understanding that no one is "like" another person is one of the harder things to come to grips with. Most people strive for normalcy, to be part of the collective, but in modern culture, we also like to think that we are unique, one of a kind, and that we break the mold. We tend to create our collectivism by being part of a collective of people who think they are individualistic.

The truth is that we are all the same in thinking we are unique, and that statement is intrinsically true. But we do not thrive on individualism. We thrive as a group.

Take WP for example. Each of us is unique, very different in how we present, and we abide by some rendition of a motto that if you have met an autistic person, you have met ONE autistic person, implying that Autists are varied and different in presentation and barriers. Yet we are still here, part of a collective, agreeing we are all to some degree or another Autistic, even accepting those who are not confirmed to be such but only feel they may be.

It isn't really a bragging point to be either. Being an individual isn't really exceptional, since everybody is individualistic, nor is it really exceptional to be part of a collective whole, since we are intrinsically that as part of the human experience. It seems contradictory, but the reality is that they are not exclusive.

I *can* tell you that getting super hyped up on this strange notion of individualism leads to problems and conundrums. Th philosophy of Individualism was championed by Author Ayn Rand.

...who had a weird sex cult dedicated to ideas that ultimately are why we have so many current economic failings (She invented the so called "Cult of Personality" you may have heard about). And then she had ruinous life circumstances and died pretty much alone and unhappy. Not a moral of the story, per se, but she flirted with exemplifying a notion that people who are important are too important to care about anyone else...and then the people who bought this idea left her alone because she wasn't important enough for them.

*Shrug*

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 3:34 pm

I seem to see patterns so I can see through things somehow? It can get frustrating when others can't.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2021, 4:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most of us here.....are "not like "most people."

That's why we're here :)

Right on ..

8)