Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:26 am

I feel that the " spectrum " is nothing more than the manifestation of evolution. Nature is trying to give us bigger and smarter brains. It does not always get it right but when it does Human 1.1. maybe after time we might start looking like grey aliens, LOL :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:30 am

Nature is not a person; therefore it has no such intent.

Evolution results in one organism's greater ability to pass on its genes to the generations to follow.  Autism greatly reduces a person's chances to even form social bonds, and drastically reduces that person's chances to pass on hers or his genes.

Autism is not step forward in evolution.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

nature shows intent by design

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:41 am

jimbo Jones wrote:
nature shows intent by design
Personification of nature, and the attribution of intent to nature, is both erroneous and fallacious.

Nature has no intent; it is nothing more than an interlocking system of physical events and chemical reactions (in the case of Earth) in an environment that supports life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:42 am

Nope....we are not the "next step in evolution."

Nope....we don't have the "Neanderthal gene."

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:43 am

Nature shows intent because it is guided by the force of Everything, All Matter, But that is matter of faith and not the topic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:48 am

jimbo Jones wrote:
Nature shows intent because it is guided by the force of Everything, All Matter, But that is matter of faith and not the topic.
Faith is belief without factual evidence.  Believing nature has intent without citing factual evidence is faith.

Thus, this is a faith-based thread.

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:50 am

If you want to Bring Faith to the Party be my Guest.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

jimbo Jones wrote:
If you want to Bring Faith to the Party be my Guest.
Nope, I am a "science" person.  There is no empirical evidence to support the claim that autism is evolution.

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:53 am

I did not say there is yet.

jimbo Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2021, 8:59 am

oh and by the way i'm a science & faith person the two can marry.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:20 am

There have always been persons of an "Aspergian/autistic" bent who have been able to invent useful things, and to evoke expansion, in mind, from the "status quo" in general.

There have also been persons of a more "neurotypical" bent who have been able to do the same thing.

There is something to be said, though, for the single-minded orientation found in people like Charles Darwin, who is speculated to have been on the Spectrum (though, obviously, not diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:28 am

The autism is evolution theory is by definition Autistic supremacy. Supremacy leads to harm.

Autistics being a victim of NT supremacy should not go there but I understand why many do. When you been discriminated against and beat up your whole life it is comforting to think that our plight is the result if inferior NT’s inability to understand us.

None of the above should be misconstrued as belief that we should a accept that we are defective, that we should not be angry about all the s**t we have to put up with. What I am advising is do not let that anger make us become what we hate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:34 am

The evolutionary claim does not work: Mutations do not have a purpose; natural selection works on individuals and not whole species.  Unlike the evolutionary "leaps" cited by anthropologists, autism involves many genes, and would take even more generations to spread if it were advantageous.  Most significant is the sex issue -- it is only an evolutionary advancement if it makes you have more kids, so a literal human connection is essential.

Which people with autism, by definition, lack.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 9:37 am

Not everybody with autism is as high functioning as you are though. Lets put it this way, if autism is supposed to be the next step in evolution, then why is it still classified as a disability?

That's because it still continues to be for many people, a disability. I know several people with autism where it impacts their ability to drive and live independently. My 33 year old overweight co-worker who's only working a $10 part time internship despite the fact that he's college educated. Or the nearly 40 year old woman who's on SSI who I used to go to school with. Or the neckbeard looking former roommate who continues to be a part time janitor. Or the man with classic autism who can't even have a normal conversation with someone. And these are just some of the stories, not all of them.

For all of these people, their autism definitely impacted their life in a negative way. They may not admit to it, but if all of these people were neurotypical instead of autistic, they probably wouldn't be in the shoes they are now. Some of them probably would have gone to college and gotten a good job, gotten married and had a kid or two, and have a more "normal" life.

I'm not saying everyone with autism is doomed to a life of underemployment and dating woes, but for many people with autism, that turns into a realistic possibility. The vast majority of us aren't the Albert Einstein's, Elon Musk's, or Sheldon Cooper's of the world; there are real struggles with being on the spectrum and it impacts people greater than others.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 10:11 am

Muse933277 wrote:
Not everybody with autism is as high functioning as you are though. Let's put it this way, if autism is supposed to be the next step in evolution, then why is it still classified as a disability?

That's because it still continues to be for many people, a disability. I know several people with autism where it impacts their ability to drive and live independently. My 33 year old overweight co-worker who's only working a $10 part time internship despite the fact that he's college educated. Or the nearly 40 year old woman who's on SSI who I used to go to school with. Or the neckbeard looking former roommate who continues to be a part time janitor. Or the man with classic autism who can't even have a normal conversation with someone. And these are just some of the stories, not all of them.

For all of these people, their autism definitely impacted their life in a negative way. They may not admit to it, but if all of these people were neurotypical instead of autistic, they probably wouldn't be in the shoes they are now. Some of them probably would have gone to college and gotten a good job, gotten married and had a kid or two, and have a more "normal" life.

I'm not saying everyone with autism is doomed to a life of underemployment and dating woes, but for many people with autism, that turns into a realistic possibility. The vast majority of us aren't the Albert Einstein's, Elon Musk's, or Sheldon Cooper's of the world; there are real struggles with being on the spectrum and it impacts people greater than others.
In simpler terms, if autism is an evolutionary step, then it is a step backwards.