Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 2:20 am

they want to know what id be like without my savannt..intellect

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 3:48 am

My youngest brother never went anywhere without his blanket. He wore it out until there were only small pieces left.

I tend to take train books with me or something like that. I don't neccessarily read them though I have douzens of times though it is mostly looking at the pictures as I am a visual thinker. The strange thing is that I have a small number of books which I love, but other railway books I tend to not look at? I don't means as in never look at, but it always comes back to the same small collection of books, and would take one or two with me (Usually one) as a familiar comfort item, so that when or if I am stressed or bored, I will stare at the pictures or read one or two paragraphs and feel comforted.
I have worn past model railway magazines out when I was a child through never putting them down and always looking at them again and again... The same one! I miss having both the 1978 and the 1979 Hornby catalogues, especially the 1978, as both of mine no longer exist, though I do still have the odd picture from them which was pasted into a school project somewhere as by the time I was 10 or 11 when we did that project, the catalogues were already a bit worse for wear.

Sometimes I would carry something else like a little stuffed toy dog, and it would come with me everywhere. I currently have a cat like that which I rescued from being burnt. It nearly broke my heart when I saw it... It was going onto a bonfire as it was in a state after being in a shed for years and the shed was being pulled down... I kinda jumped onto the fire to rescue it when I saw it. I carefully washed it and bathed it and dried it. It had hardly ever been used. I carry it everywhere I go these days, though I prefer railway books to look at.

My problem is I carry so many things around with me! When in the cycling club many years ago I was called "Garage" because of all the tools I took where ever I would go. Some riders did not bring a thing with them! I was often criticized for having panniers full!
Strangely, as carrying things is heavy, people were puzzled by me because when on a course where we had to do a camping expedition I went to all the food packets I brought with me ans I cut off the excess of the joins in the packaging (They were still sealed) to save weight. I was asked why I did this when I am carrying this and that which I don't need... Like "Why are you carrying a train book with you?" Oops!

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:26 am

I love cycling...i used to have a bike...penny...with panniers. carried all sorts in her

I loved penny

I wanted a horby set as a child but I got a doll that peed herself and talked instead :?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 5:00 am

I have always had trains (Almost always!) These days I am preferring 7mm narrow gauge as it is cheaper and more characterful, and I can fit it in a smaller space.

Bicycles. Penny. Do you mean a model of a bike or a personal name? I believe Pashley have a model called "Penny".

Maybe you can have a bicycle again? I have too many though they usually need doing up. I like rescuing things. In many ways the older bicycles are better in that they are easier to keep running without getting stuck waiting for parts if something wears out as modern bikes with disc brakes can have issues getting parts. Older bikes have no issues because even if the part is not available new, one can get a scrap bike for nothing or cheap and use the parts as most parts fit others unlike todays bicycles where only some parts fit others.

Wether bicycles or trains, they are both my lifelong "Special" interests. (I only found out about the term "Special interest" when I joined here).

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:23 pm

I still have the blanket I've had since I was a newborn.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:29 pm

No, but I have a teddy bear that I can't live without. He's like a comfort item for me and he is very privileged - he has his own space in our bed (between our pillows).

I've had him since my first Christmas, and he's always been there for me. :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 5:28 pm

Yes. I have a tickle. He's blue, his name is Tickle, and I use him thousands of times a day.

I've had him since I was a baby, although he's from my older brother's baby blanket.

I still have the whole blanket, but the tickle part has been removed for 50 years now for my stimming pleasure.

I also have a mini Tickle that goes with me everywhere (school, work, car). It's a smaller piece of the same satin.

No other satin will do.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 10:54 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have always had trains (Almost always!) These days I am preferring 7mm narrow gauge as it is cheaper and more characterful, and I can fit it in a smaller space.

Bicycles. Penny. Do you mean a model of a bike or a personal name? I believe Pashley have a model called "Penny".

Maybe you can have a bicycle again? I have too many though they usually need doing up. I like rescuing things. In many ways the older bicycles are better in that they are easier to keep running without getting stuck waiting for parts if something wears out as modern bikes with disc brakes can have issues getting parts. Older bikes have no issues because even if the part is not available new, one can get a scrap bike for nothing or cheap and use the parts as most parts fit others unlike todays bicycles where only some parts fit others.

Wether bicycles or trains, they are both my lifelong "Special" interests. (I only found out about the term "Special interest" when I joined here).

hybrid purple carrera

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes. I have a tickle. He's blue, his name is Tickle, and I use him thousands of times a day.

I've had him since I was a baby, although he's from my older brother's baby blanket.

I still have the whole blanket, but the tickle part has been removed for 50 years now for my stimming pleasure.

I also have a mini Tickle that goes with me everywhere (school, work, car). It's a smaller piece of the same satin.

No other satin will do.

my tickle is blue

I used to have a green one but it wore out

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

No other satin will do.

I call mine tickle too

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:07 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

my tickle is blue

:heart: Great minds think alike!

I had a dark pink one for some time too, but always preferred the blue one.

This is my main piece of him, but I have smaller sections as well as the blanket without the trim.

He's a little worse-for-wear, but still surviving since my big brother was born in 1965.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 6:50 am

I have fuzzy blankets in almost every room of my house for quick cuddles or wrap around self comforting whenever I need it.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Earthbound_Alien wrote:

my tickle is blue

:heart: Great minds think alike!

I had a dark pink one for some time too, but always preferred the blue one.

This is my main piece of him, but I have smaller sections as well as the blanket without the trim.

He's a little worse-for-wear, but still surviving since my big brother was born in 1965.

looks silkky

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:12 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I have fuzzy blankets in almost every room of my house for quick cuddles or wrap around self comforting whenever I need it.

that is a Good thing6

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm

my parents would take those things away from me when i was young . when i might have had to go somewhere without them they would be stolen from me. My brothers got the impression that doing that was okay, so it was very hard to keep anything of value to me as i grew up . Even things i found fascinating in the yard like little rocks , that looked like.motorvehicles, i had seen when i was out .
After a week all the little rocks i had gathered up in a little spot in the backyard disappeared all at once. after a week of playing with them . It was crazy. eventually i ended up hiding underneath the house to play . For a very longtime. The household was psychologically and physically violent to me as i grew up. Eventually .. it taught me how NOT to treat people . Cause, i wouldnt want that done to me . But it did help the cause of being silent in public most all the time. And destroy most hope of
social and interpersonal skills as i grew up. Eventually , i discovered masking... all by myself
and it was a great help. .

where ever you go ,there you are