Question to NT's about how you see facial expressions

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 2:32 am

Here is a short video titled "A Mismatch of Autistic and Non-autistic Facial Expressions". It shows two cartoon characters: Joe, who is said to be "autistic," and Mike, who is said to be "non-autistic."

It then shows both of them with facial expressions that are said to be "sad." The narrator says that both of them don't recognize each other as sad.

To me, Joe (the "autistic" person) looks obviously sad, whereas Mike (the "non-autistic" person) has a far less obvious facial expression.

The narrator implies that NT's would have the opposite reaction to these two facial expressions, seeing Mike as being sad, but not Joe.

I wonder if that is indeed the case. If you are NT, what is your impression of the two characters' facial expressions?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Sep 2021, 3:11 am

I interpret Joe as scared and Mike as offended... as for my reaction, I would hug Joe and avoid Mike.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 3:48 am

I view Joe as scared/disgusted (like he is "grossed out" by something and wants no part of it). I view Mike as disinterested or aloof.

I wouldn't want to interact with Mike at all for sure.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 4:16 am

I see Joe as worried and scared or may in a verge of tears. At least he's more open.
And I see Mike as awkward and avoidant or feigning indifference by playing cool.

Both upset. Both are somewhat fleeing. Both are wanting.

Yet I won't hug either of them. Instead, pass it as nothing -- not my business.
If I care at all, I'd threaten them to smash their heads into each other for not being explicit enough.
Yes, I can be very much that kind of 'friend'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 5:11 am

WTF is this??

Joe looks like he is in pain!!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
WTF is this??

Yep, either physical pain or emotional pain (being sad or upset) -- certainly in need of comfort. What is your impression of Mike's facial expression?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:04 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
WTF is this??

Yep, either physical pain or emotional pain (being sad or upset) -- certainly in need of comfort. What is your impression of Mike's facial expression?

Mike looks like he's expressing indifference. Literally like "Whatever".