Discerning "attractiveness" via photographs

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you believe one can assess a person's looks based solely on photographs?
Yes 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
It depends 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 19

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:54 am

Fnord wrote:
From those photos, it may be deduced that while I may not be as physically appealing as the people I am with, I still know how to "party".[/color]

:D I love it!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:57 am

Flown wrote:
Fnord wrote:
From those photos, it may be deduced that while I may not be as physically appealing as the people I am with, I still know how to "party".
I love it!
Sometimes I think I get invited to wedding receptions only because I know how to do a little ballroom dancing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

Flown wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
True....but I've known MANY people who really don't "look like their photographs."
Then they should give up trying to doctor their photographs to make themselves look more attractive.

This is assuming that everyone is doctoring their photos. Camera angles and lighting alone can have a dramatic effect on appearance.

angles and lighting can and do make a huge difference. But so long as they aren't being used as a way to hide something they aren't going to make you that different. I was debating posting two photos of myself as evidence, but basically both im decently dressed, same haircut and shave status, close angle. But one I actually have decent lighting and look noticeably better.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:04 am

Fnord wrote:
It is easy to discern enough about the attractiveness of a person in a photo for the observer to decide whether or not meeting the person would be worth the effort.

An image of a well-dressed person who is smiling into the camera is much more attractive than an image of a slovenly-dressed person who is scowling into the camera.  Swipe right on the smile; swipe left on the scowl.

This. I think animated friendly faces are more attractive. I think videos are a much more accurate way of showing whether someone is attractive or not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:10 am

smudge wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It is easy to discern enough about the attractiveness of a person in a photo for the observer to decide whether or not meeting the person would be worth the effort.

An image of a well-dressed person who is smiling into the camera is much more attractive than an image of a slovenly-dressed person who is scowling into the camera.  Swipe right on the smile; swipe left on the scowl.
This. I think animated friendly faces are more attractive. I think videos are a much more accurate way of showing whether someone is attractive or not.
Images and videos still cannot show how good people are and how nice they behave in person.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:17 am

magz wrote:
Only very good photographers are capable of catching "the thing" about me.

And as a photographer, I really get that. There are certain angles and positions and settings that work for different body/face types. Photography has been around much longer than photoshop. It might be annoying and take longer to get the right shot, but the results are worth it.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:20 am

Fnord wrote:
smudge wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Images and videos still cannot show how good people are and how nice they behave in person.

I think you can only work that out after you've known them for a while in person.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:47 am

Here is a photo taken of Goldie Hawn eating a hamburger when she was just 19:
Would you conclude she was attractive from having seen this one photo, or would you still need a F2F interview?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:58 am

^ Either you or someone else has posted that photo before. I agree, Goldie Hawn was beautiful.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:54 am

smudge wrote:
^ Either you or someone else has posted that photo before. I agree, Goldie Hawn was beautiful.

It was probably me. I am disgustingly heterosexual, which in today's world might actually make me a pervert.

I've never posted a current picture of myself, but here's a blurry one of me around 1978 I posted a few years back:

It would be interesting to see what some of us looked like when we were younger (hint! hint!).

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:01 pm

43 years ago, blimey!

Quote:
I am disgustingly heterosexual, which in today's world might actually make me a pervert.

:lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:35 pm

MaxE wrote:
Here is a photo taken of Goldie Hawn eating a hamburger when she was just 19:
Would you conclude she was attractive from having seen this one photo, or would you still need a F2F interview?
I dunno ... is there cheese on that hamburger?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

I'm not really impressed of photos, or even quick video of people.

Some people might have a nice smile, or nice eyes, but I'm more interested in knowing which types of situations would make them smile, overall? What other types of expressions can they make, and when?

How do they look first thing in the morning, or when they're in different moods?

How do they move?

Seeing a brief or static example does nothing for me. I like to know the personality behind their expressions, the reason for their expressions, and the subtle information their mannerisms can relay.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:23 am

No

It can serve as a good base though. Like whether or not you have a basic attraction but not much beyond that. Because there are just too many possible variables.

The first and biggest reason you can't putt too much stock in them though, is because of editing and filters. The other is due to staging (angles, lighting, poses, makeup). These days not too many people will share a photo that hasn't had some kind of alteration. Take a look at Instagram, where people use both of those things to their fullest.

Then you just have people that photo well and those that don't. Differences in cameras, settings, daylight, and so on

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 12:29 am

It safe to assume that normal nonceleb folks are slightly better looking in person than they look in the snap shots. Have heard that from others, and its kinda my experience.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Sep 2021, 1:20 am

I think in places like dating apps and social media, one's choice of photos can make more difference than their actual looks.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>