Wrongly arrested autistic 12 year old spends night in jail

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:47 am

Family says Lee County sixth-grader traumatized after spending night in jail

Quote:
No charges will be filed against a 12-year-old who attends Three Oaks Middle School after he was accused of making a school threat.

Attorney Malcam Godwin says the student isn’t the one who sent out the message in the first place. In an email sent to a teacher, it said, “I’m taking a gun to school on Friday; I’m going to kill ever one.” A comparison between the student’s normal emails and the one sent to the teacher likely changed the case. His family’s attorney says he doesn’t use spaces when typing.

The student wasn’t at school the day the message was reported, so the school resource officer went to his home and interviewed him without his mother there.

Lee County Sheriff’s Office has delayed the case against the student. It admits it has identified another suspect.

WTF

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 6:40 pm

That is Florida for you. :(

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:27 pm

Heartbreaking.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Family says Lee County sixth-grader traumatized after spending night in jail

Quote:

The student wasn’t at school the day the message was reported, so the school resource officer went to his home and interviewed him without his mother there

So a cop went to a sixth grader's home and "interviewed" them without a parent present? Somebody better be getting the check book ready.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

Seriously?! :evil:

Also IMO, this teacher should be fired on the grounds of misconduct against a student.