Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 6:59 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I would've liked it more if door to door trick or treating were a practice.
.. It's just not the practice here.

Instead we have picnics in cemeteries. :lol:
The cemeteries itself becomes crowded and rather festive ​at night.

Wearing costumes is acceptable but optional at large.

My only issue is the climate. Likelier chance of rain in later parts of the year.

Are you in Mexico? :skull:

Hahahaha :lol: Nope.

But sure, the cultures' influences are quite similar.
... And I'm not from any Latin American country. I'm from Southeast Asia. :twisted: :skull:

I ask because picnics in cemeteries is a common practice in Mexico for the Day of the Dead, November 1. It's their version of Halloween and a very major holiday probably second only to Christmas. :skull:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 9:00 pm

Halloween is year-round as far as I’m concerned :lol: It is easier to find stuff I’m interested in this time of year. But I’m always disappointed that I don’t have anything to dress up for anymore, or really anything better to do than watch horror movies all night, which I do on a regular basis anyway.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 12:50 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Halloween is year-round as far as I’m concerned :lol: It is easier to find stuff I’m interested in this time of year. But I’m always disappointed that I don’t have anything to dress up for anymore, or really anything better to do than watch horror movies all night, which I do on a regular basis anyway.

You don't attend comic cons? You can certainly dress up for that. :skull:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:07 pm

I'm in England. Its not really celebrated here as much as it is in USA but its more of a thing now than it was when I was younger.

We did used to go trick and treating but it was far from organised. It was more a case of knocking on strangers doors and begging for spare change. It was fun though and I have fond memories.

It doesn't really interest me these days though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 2:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I miss Hallowe'en.  My kids are grown up, I am about to retire, and no one believes the old legends anymore.

In my hometown, a legend has it that on October 31, 1927, a group of 13 miners were killed in a cave-in somewhere along the river.  Supposedly, if you hid yourself along the riverbank on Hallowe'en, the 13 miners would emerge from the ground at midnight (the end of their shift) and try to make their way home, with their headlamps glowing a sickly green and their flesh hanging from their bones.

Of course, it was great fun for us (as kids) to dare each other to sit by the riverbank and wait for the miners to appear.  It was even more fun to dress up as a zombie miner and scare the other kids along the riverbank, too!

That sounds like Charles Dickens' short story "The Signal-Man" (1866).
I had to look up the synopsis.  Similar only in that both are "ghost stories".

Another "ghost story" from my hometown featured the railroad trestle near Scout Park, where Boy- and Girl-Scouts would camp out to earn their merit badges.  As the story goes, a young girl arrives at the park, thinking that she was already late for her troop's camp-out.  Instead, she encounters a group of homeless men[1] who chase her onto the trestle.  She is about halfway across when a train rounded the far bend.  With the train in front of her and the men behind her, she had no choice but to jump into the river, about a hundred feet below.  Her body was never found, and the men were never caught[2].

It is said that on moonless nights, her ghost can be heard somewhere along the riverbank, weeping and calling out for her momma.[3]

[1] Some say escaped inmates, others say migrant farm worker, still others say local hoodlums.
[2] So how could anyone else have learned the story?
[3] There are no newspaper accounts of any such incident.  However, local girls have gone missing from time to time; mostly runaways.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 3:53 pm

Halloween should be a age neutral holiday . am still little in my mind . And it creates huge creativity spurts for halloweenie ideas and decor ....i miss that .... but as timed here many children of the dregs
that moved into the area . Decided halloween decor made for good targets of destruction . Apparently as part of their right of passage into manhood. Love Halloween!

where ever you go ,there you are

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm in England. Its not really celebrated here as much as it is in USA but its more of a thing now than it was when I was younger.

We did used to go trick and treating but it was far from organised. It was more a case of knocking on strangers doors and begging for spare change. It was fun though and I have fond memories.

It doesn't really interest me these days though.

What about Guy Fawkes Night? :skull:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 4:10 pm

I have always loved Halloween. It was very fun going around as a kid with the neighbour kids and their parents asking for sweets. My sister and I used to hang out with the neighbour kids all the time. I wouldn't recognise most of them now. A couple of years ago one of them came up to me and said hi, and he had to remind me who he was.

These days I still celebrate Halloween, and carve a pumpkin when I can, because it's FUN!! ! I keep the seeds, rinse them in a sieve, dry them and roast them with olive oil, salt and cumin. They're DELICIOUS, and about 20 x better than a packet of them. I also like to eat munchkins (Mini pumpkins) sliced and roasted, at this time of year.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm

Axeman wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

You don't attend comic cons? You can certainly dress up for that. :skull:

Nope, never have. I don’t think it would be worth dealing with the crowds and stuff for me. But yes, that is an option.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 7:06 pm

cant blame you about Cons been to the same 3 x . And found myself so rundown from all the activity
and inputs . That had to leave early even though i had support.. And had to sit down much of the time.
The memories are treasured but just cannot do that anymore. The sit downs were much closer to being meltdowns and support person suggested to leave. Never got to see the entire con.

where ever you go ,there you are

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 8:17 pm

During Halloween I search youtube for weird stuff to watch. This was fascinating.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 9:44 pm

Axeman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
No way. Halloween reminds me of children and goths.

I like Easter time. :lol:

Ironically it originated from a holiday where children were probably sacrificed. :skull:

I thought it was originated as originally Hallows Eve, a religious holiday.

Or are you just kidding?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 1:44 am

UncannyDanny wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Ironically it originated from a holiday where children were probably sacrificed. :skull:

Or are you just kidding?

I mean the Celtic holiday of Samhain from which Halloween evolved.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:48 am

too bad its not that big here in Germany...seems like fun

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:08 am

Axeman wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Or are you just kidding?

I mean the Celtic holiday of Samhain from which Halloween evolved.

Ah, you mean this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

ocean wrote:
too bad its not that big here in Germany...seems like fun

Ganz recht es ist.