Canada’s trump country is covid-screwed

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:34 pm

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local- ... covid-army

Pretty messed up. I have family all over Alberta. Oil money, rednecks, right wing conservative types, fake Christians etc. My own relatives are enough of an example to understand the population there.

Tbh, I’m not sure anything except for mad casualties and eventually heard immunity via death toll is going to stop this there - about the same same as trump loving red states striving for high score on worldometer’s covid death count.

Still, though. Pretty messed up that they and their leaders have the exact same information as the rest of the country and world and they choose to do this with it..

I def feel for the doctors, nurses, and healthcare staff that have to deal with this mess. Can’t be easy.. super high stress, people dying, children dying, others not getting timely treatments for other ailments.. all because of disrespectful science denying politicians and citizens that refuse to be better to each other. Gross.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I def feel for the doctors, nurses, and healthcare staff that have to deal with this mess. Can’t be easy.. super high stress, people dying, children dying, others not getting timely treatments for other ailments.. all because of disrespectful science denying politicians and citizens that refuse to be better to each other. Gross.

A lot of reports of burnout and why should I help people like this creating staff shortages compounding the problem in this country.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

But, how can the vaccine protect me better than the armour of faith?

Just to play Devil's Advocate. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 10:24 pm

Huh, that would actually suggest that Trump himself had less to do with the anti vaccine sentiment here in the US than is often portrayed, if the attitude is common to non US conservatives.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:39 am

Dox47 wrote:
Huh, that would actually suggest that Trump himself had less to do with the anti vaccine sentiment here in the US than is often portrayed, if the attitude is common to non US conservatives.

Or his influence was more international than we realized ...

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 4:26 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Well, anyone who truly understands the bible knows that God is not a personal genie who will simply wipe away tribulations, but someone who will partner with believers who take the necessary real-world steps to ensure the best possible outcome. However, try telling that to people who have made up their mind and believe in this "armour of faith" BS, which amusingly enough, is a common Islamic belief if I understand correctly. :lol:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This.^ We have a lot of Trump supporters in this country, and since his time in office, there has seemingly been an increase in attitudes associated with that cult.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 3:55 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This.

Dox47: You think trump's speeches and rhetoric were confined to the USA? :lol: No. That BS has spilled over the border through the airwaves, TV, internet etc and there are a lot of trump loving "conservatives," in Canada and likely other countries, too.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

^^ Interesting. I was half joking ... but only half. I had no way to be sure just how much international influence Trump had, although I did know that my European relatives (all liberal) loved making fun of him.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 11:10 pm

So, what I'm hearing is that Trump would have a shot in Canada? That could be fun.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:09 am

goldfish21 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This.

Dox47: You think trump's speeches and rhetoric were confined to the USA? :lol: No. That BS has spilled over the border through the airwaves, TV, internet etc and there are a lot of trump loving "conservatives," in Canada and likely other countries, too.

Beyond just Trump there's communities of reactionary types spread out throughout the world and the internet is starting to make cooperation between them easier. News and ideas spread and this seems to link them more closely when it comes to the spread of conspiracy theories and memes.

@Dox47, Trump wouldn't have had as easy of time in Canada because Canadians don't vote directly for a PM, they vote for a party and that party's leader becomes PM. The Tories haven't really been impacted by anything like the Tea Party so they're less susceptible to a populist takeover. The People's Party and some more fringe parties are most similar to a Trumpist bloc and they didn't win a seat anywhere. Even a good deal of coworkers I've known who were alt-right seemed to think Trump wasn't very competent or the best face for their basic set of views.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:36 am

Tross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, anyone who truly understands the bible knows that God is not a personal genie who will simply wipe away tribulations, but someone who will partner with believers who take the necessary real-world steps to ensure the best possible outcome. However, try telling that to people who have made up their mind and believe in this "armour of faith" BS, which amusingly enough, is a common Islamic belief if I understand correctly. :lol:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This.^ We have a lot of Trump supporters in this country, and since his time in office, there has seemingly been an increase in attitudes associated with that cult.

Luke, the author of Luke's Gospel, was himself a physician, and the Father of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther, had said doctors and medicine were gifts from God. In fact, when the German city of Wittenberg had been struck with a plague, Luther and his wife, Katherine, had stayed behind to help care for the sick and dying... and both wore masks!

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 5:52 am

Trump has been telling listeners to get vaccinated.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 6:05 am

Trump was sending mixed messages in the last months he was in power.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06 ... s-children
https://www.psypost.org/2021/06/study-i ... 2020-61032

And the results are well known
https://www.ft.com/content/39ff87ce-57b ... b2c7bc911f

Now he's changed his tune, but its too late....
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08 ... ines-booed

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 6:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Trump was sending mixed messages in the last months he was in power.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06 ... s-children
https://www.psypost.org/2021/06/study-i ... 2020-61032

And the results are well known
https://www.ft.com/content/39ff87ce-57b ... b2c7bc911f

Now he's changed his tune, but its too late....
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08 ... ines-booed

Trump was warning parents not get a COVID vaccine on children.

That's still true today.

"Children younger than age 12 years are not authorized to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at this time"

"Children and adolescents younger than age 18 years are not eligible to receive the Moderna or Janssen COVID-19 vaccines at this time"
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/c ... his%20time

Be the hero of your life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 11:48 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
^^ Interesting. I was half joking ... but only half. I had no way to be sure just how much international influence Trump had, although I did know that my European relatives (all liberal) loved making fun of him.

Myself and many others make fun of him, but there's definitely a contingent of trump supporters locally and likely across Canada - especially in Alberta. The ones I knew locally were freedom loving people at the beach, and some of them not so discreetly white supremacists who complain about immigrants taking their jobs etc. Same sort of stuff that gets discussed South of the border.

Almost ALL Canadians live within 100km/100miles of the US border, so really, it's not that geographically far for his influence to travel.

I remember during the height of his anti-Muslim rhetoric and travel ban that some angry white man was being nasty and rude to a Muslim woman on a train I was on. That sort of toxic behaviour knows no borders.

As funeralxempire pointed out, there are groups of far right wing people around the world that are uniting in person and online to spread their poison. I recall reading headlines about some of trump's henchmen attending meetings with far right fringe political groups throughout Europe in their "unite the right," movement. All of this is far more than memes - they're ideals that they want spread, for angry people to get together and elect far right leaders to become authoritarians in a global move to re-ignite white supremacy and anti-immigrant nonsense as melanin-ated humans evacuate uninhabitable areas of the world due to heat/drought/economic reasons. These people want a race war as their legacy.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 8:13 pm

Satire:
https://thebeaverton.com/2021/09/albert ... -patients/

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う