Noise cancelling or noise reduction head phones

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

blukarma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2021, 7:38 pm

Is there a search engine for the forums? I wanted to search for this answer but I couldn't find anything. Have any of you bought noise cancelling or noise reduction or just general ear protection for your daughter/son with autism? My son has lately become intolerant of loud noise but if he has ear protection he is fine. That being said I'd like to get a better solution long term than ear plugs.

thoughts?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 7:56 pm

I just plugged "noise cancelling headphones" into the search box at the top right of my screen, right above the blue bar and below the log out button. One article and a lot of threads pop up. They seem to be mostly older so perhaps some variations on search terms since the search seems to be pulling up threads with the exact search item in the title. I know we've discussed the topic often here on parenting, but none of those threads came up in the search.

Both of my now adult children have noise cancelling headphones, but my husband purchased them and I have no idea on the brand or features. They both use them a lot.

An article from 2018 (I would assume the exact models are no longer sold):

https://wrongplanet.net/noise-cancellin ... or-autism/

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2021, 2:36 am

I use noise cancelling AirPods but they’re also for listening to music and are quite expensive and may not be suitable for kid’s ears?

Some of my students at school have industrial looking noise cancelling headphones. They are bulky but do the trick and are easy to put on/remove. This might be your best bet?

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2021, 2:46 am

This is the sort of topic that could send me off on a long essay, but I'll try and limit myself to the essentials.

I was diagnosed as an adult, and headphones are my most important accommodation.

As far as the technology goes, I can confirm the extra benefit of a flagship model outweighs the cost, and right now Sony's WH-1000XM4 are the pinnacle, the ones to beat. I currently use Bose NC headphone 700 and if they broke tomorrow I'd go back to Sony. The only reason not to go flagship at first, is if you especially fear them getting banged around and destroyed, then perhaps a mid range model would be better to start. My old Sony's (XM2) took their share of knocks and didn't let me down.

My life got better since I allowed myself to wear these to the supermarket - without some misplaced or internalised sense of masking/ableism, telling myself I should keep them off for the comfort of my fellow shoppers, or to prevent being thought of as weird.

I take them off for the sake of politeness while engaging with the checkout worker, and by the time we are done I'm able to note a rising sense of anxiety felt in my chest due to the ambient noise environment, then it's a relief to put them back on.

In other situations I do sometimes make a reasoned choice to use a less obtrusive option, then it's nice to have vibes earplugs.

I've tried to restrain myself to a tight answer. Is there anything further you'd like to ask about on this topic?

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2021, 2:57 am

I thought of a different dimension on your question.

Your child might benefit from headphones in many settings, one important one is at school.

With the prospect of this, though, arise further questions -

Does the child have an IEP? Can headphones be recognized / protected by teachers/principal as an accommodation?

In-ear plugs, even the Vibes from oy other reply, are generally not comfortable enough to be worn over multiple hours.